Author Topic: Come on man  (Read 2185 times)

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Re: Come on man
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »
well ...

let me take a different approach here ...

first off WTFG CMs for not adjusting the event due to complaints ...

secondly, it is a shame that a large segment of the community will not participate in an event because they feel overburdened.
refusal to recognize that every side had time on the downside of battles and therefore that each side/squad/player must be willing to fight at a disadvantage from time to time, sometimes at what could be a extreme disadvantage in one way or another.  

the event designers clearly try for balance, and it is a shame that sometimes they are unable to present the events they want to put on because of a somewhat selfish POV of some members of the event community.  there are those players/squads who regularly either refuse to see the balancing aspects of an event or refuse to fly on the more burdened side of an event, which causes the numbers to be out of designed balance, and that causes the event to be adjusted or just overly unpleasant for one side or the other.  

IMO the above is even more discouraging when it is regular players/squads of the historic country/side that needs numbers who refuse to play for "their historic side" because they perceive a disadvantage they don't want to deal with, and that IMO is as lame as anything that goes on in online gaming.

t  

^^^^ says the 262 in frame 1  :)

But Thorsim's right, you gotta suck it up and deal with it.  What goes around come around.  Part of the fun of FSO is playing the cards you're dealt, and sometime you get 7-2 unsuited.  Or a P40B.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »
Not that we are voting, but I would want the historic battles over the "adjusted" battles myself.  For me, the FSO is totally about immersion.  You know, "the 60 minutes of boredom followed by 60 seconds of panic" thingy.

Just stating an opinion gents, but I would much rather be on the low side, get our butts kicked and know a little more about how "they" felt.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
You know, "the 60 minutes of boredom followed by 60 seconds of panic" thingy.

This is exactly how it was explained to me. And this is why I LOVE flying FSO.   :salute to friend and foe alike.
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

I hope he was doing recon, he flew for 2 hours and didn't score a single kill, even after hot padding halfway through.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I hope he was doing recon, he flew for 2 hours and didn't score a single kill, even after hot padding halfway through.

my mission was to disrupt and disturb certain defenders of certain targets and not loose my 262 ...

my gunnery was however unfortunate for some reason friday night ...

however i did induce the soiling of several pairs of VVS panties ...

i/we have flown my/our share of dogs in events as well, and i don't think i/we have publicly griped about a single one,
however we may feel about the assignment we do our best to carry out the mission.

that you will find is how it was in TRW, and how it should be in the events. 

++S++

t

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:24:49 PM by thorsim »
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
I feel for the Allied flyers this frame. Seems that every PTO setup where I fly Axis I get jumped by a 3X superior force in my highly flammable rice burner.  Sometimes you are the gun...sometimes the target.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 01:14:14 AM »
Zoney, although I fully understand your desire for the historical part, there has to be some balance in place.  We already know the historical outcome.  We know what matchup won and lost.  It is impractical to design an event that recreates the historical battles that took place.  That's television, the history channel shows the reenactments.   The events need to create an event where both sides have the opportunity to win or lose based on their efforts, not a pre-determined outcome.  You honestly want us to design events that have a pre-determined loser built into the event? 

That is what the FSO, Scenarios and Snapshots try to offer.   You cannot have the 60 minutes of boredom followed by 60 seconds of panic if you know the outcome.  We have taken the "known" out of the equation, and truly offered you the panic.  You have no idea what's going to happen. There is no re-enactment, it is truly up to the players to pull something off.

Please understand, this is not a dismissal of your point of view Zoney, your desire is paramount in many of the event designs, that's why we take the "known" element away.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
Zoney, although I fully understand your desire for the historical part, there has to be some balance in place.  We already know the historical outcome.  We know what matchup won and lost.  It is impractical to design an event that recreates the historical battles that took place.  That's television, the history channel shows the reenactments.   The events need to create an event where both sides have the opportunity to win or lose based on their efforts, not a pre-determined outcome.  You honestly want us to design events that have a pre-determined loser built into the event?  That is what the FSO, Scenarios and Snapshots try to offer.   You cannot have the 60 minutes of boredom followed by 60 seconds of panic if you know the outcome.  We have taken the "known" out of the equation, and truly offered you the panic.  You have no idea what's going to happen. There is no re-enactment, it is truly up to the players to pull something off.

Please understand, this is not a dismissal of your point of view Zoney, your desire is paramount in many of the event designs, that's why we take the "known" element away.

<S> Thank you for your measured and civil response sir.  No I do not want what I have highlighted in red.  As you stated in your last line, I only wanted to air my opinion.  Part of my"fantasy" is imagining being on the historically marginalized side and overcoming overwhelming odds, not that I have the skills to pull it off.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »
however i did induce the soiling of several pairs of VVS panties ...
:aok LOL in my years I think I flew a 262 twice in FSO and that is about all I managed to do. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
well ...

let me take a different approach here ...

first off WTFG CMs for not adjusting the event due to complaints ...

secondly, it is a shame that a large segment of the community will not participate in an event because they feel overburdened.
refusal to recognize that every side had time on the downside of battles and therefore that each side/squad/player must be willing to fight at a disadvantage from time to time, sometimes at what could be a extreme disadvantage in one way or another. 

the event designers clearly try for balance, and it is a shame that sometimes they are unable to present the events they want to put on because of a somewhat selfish POV of some members of the event community.  there are those players/squads who regularly either refuse to see the balancing aspects of an event or refuse to fly on the more burdened side of an event, which causes the numbers to be out of designed balance, and that causes the event to be adjusted or just overly unpleasant for one side or the other. 

IMO the above is even more discouraging when it is regular players/squads of the historic country/side that needs numbers who refuse to play for "their historic side" because they perceive a disadvantage they don't want to deal with, and that IMO is as lame as anything that goes on in online gaming.

What you're suggesting isn't allow to happen. I can say that the FSO team monitors squad participation very closely and in the few cases where there's the slightest hint of misbehavior, they initiate action. That you never hear about it speaks to the professional manner in which the team operates.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:57:11 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
first, to be clear i wasn't speaking specifically of the FSO but rather of a segment of the VAC event community ...

the FSO/s3 fortunately have squad pride to offset the "gottawins" tendency to gravitate to the advantaged side,
in those events the consequence of the attitude problem i describe is usually relegated to griping and bad attitudes however well controlled. 

where that is not the case events can often suffer from the reluctance of far too many to take the hard road in an event.  that is where in the problem really lies. 

personally i sort of like the challenge of close to historic events and being on the historically defeated side. 
that gives me the opportunity to see if with the advantage of historic hindsight and extensive
event "battle expertise" whether or not i can turn the tables on the historic outcome. 

i guess i am scolding some players and hoping that this conversation will result in a sort of a "gut check" the next time anyone is tempted to choose an event side based on the privilege of flying the top ride or some other advantage of an event.  that approach if taken by too many just makes it way to difficult to put on many of the events that history begs us to explore, and that is a shame.

t
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
You write well.  :salute
  The no capps is just kiling my eyes though. :old:
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
I'd rather a Yak 9T than a 190F8 tbh.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
In the 3 years of my playing this game and partcipating in the Special Events, I have come to the conclusion of this.
For those who like to look up information and have an anaylytical number cruching ability can add to this post.

The Game

1) We, the Aces High players, have absorbed the fundamentals of all the strengths and weaknesses of all the available aircraft and vehicles in the inventory.
2) We, the Aces High players, have spent individually thousands of hours in learning the strengths and weaknesses of said aircraft and vehicles.
3) We, the Aces High players, have the luxury of being given the ultimate do-over in the MA's to learn our mistakes in said aircraft and vehicles all from our safe armchair cartoon pilot world.

Real Life WW2

1) Every pilot received one life.
2) Every pilot received a small amount of training in their assigned aircraft.
3) Every pilot received a sink or swim initiation to combat.

In every FSO setup, we receive planesets available from HTC.  Every warbird used in this game was a lethal aircraft in real life.  However, some aircraft have far more supieror capabilities than others.  That doesn't mean that the supieror aircraft will demolish the lesser.

That's where the wildcard factor comes in.  The pilot.  The pilot with superb SA and knowledge of his energy can defeat the supieror aircraft flown by a less experienced pilot.  Or, 8 high performane planes running into 15 less performance planes can create an upset.

What becomes the true deciding factor.  The CIC.  The CIC can make or break any engagement either as a whole or in a smaller engagement area.  In FSO, there are two CIC's.  Two deciding factors that can make an even fight or a lopsided event through unlucky circumstances or bad planning one one's part.

Don't blame the CM's for the planesets.  They volunteer their time to create these events.  It's up to each participating player to READ the setup information on the Special Events website.

Don't blame the CIC's.  They volunteer their time to help organize these events.  This is a game and not every CIC up to bat has the desire to learn every facet of each aircraft in the planeset beyond their personal experience.  It's up to each participating player to learn each aircraft in the MA's and not just limited to Late War Arena commonly used aircraft.  

Who's to blame?  Either nobody or everybody.  

Complaining about trivial matters doesn't help anything.  If any player thinks they can do better, then volunteer to become a CM. Or, let your squad CO know that you would like to volunteer to be CIC when your squad is next in line.

This my opinion based on experience from the last 3 years.  Many will agree, many will disagree, and the vast majority will not care one bit by being silent.  Democracy at it's finiest. :salute
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »
Bravo, AKKuya!  Well said, sir!   :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs