Author Topic: How to shoot down the bomber?(Guide)  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: How to shoot down the bomber?(Guide)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
I think I've shot 990000 down before, but not recently.  Mace350i is usually my buff drone, although I've also been running into Iraqvet a lot. Nowadays I can take all three bombers if they've got a crappy gunner, or 1 or 2 if they've got a good one.  If I get hit and they don't take a wing off I can usually land the kill, especially if I'm close to base.

I've been trying the high six approach and had some success, but my biggest problem is tracking the bombers when they're below me.  Any suggestions?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
I've been trying the high six approach and had some success, but my biggest problem is tracking the bombers when they're below me.  Any suggestions?

My sight line over the nose ideally only shows me the cockpit forward of the lead aircraft.  If I can see the whole formation in the dive, I know I'm coming in too shallow.  Then, just as I'm passing through 1000 yards, I being to aim for the wing root, and usually open fire inside 600 yards.  Now, I use a Jug typically, so I have ammo to spare.

Another thing that helps is to establish the approximate course of the bombers, so that if you do lose sight of them, you'll know approximately where they should be under the nose.

@Tool,

With respect, we're not talking about banging down Lancs in a 110 at 5k over a town.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
I take it then I kind of have to guesstimate where the formation is while in my dive? I can cope with that, but is there a good marker to let me know when to open fire?  Like, say, when I see the lead plane start to appear under my nose or something?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »
I think I've shot 990000 down before, but not recently.  Mace350i is usually my buff drone, although I've also been running into Iraqvet a lot. Nowadays I can take all three bombers if they've got a crappy gunner, or 1 or 2 if they've got a good one.  If I get hit and they don't take a wing off I can usually land the kill, especially if I'm close to base.

You must be over bomber. Then the attack. Not lowers the flight, before the attack.
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
So right above the bomber?  Problem...how do I know when I've reached that point?  Can't really see to gauge my position.  Second, how high over the bomber?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
That was the theory.
And this is the practice ...

Kills                    in    of     by      died in
B-17G             0    16    0    0
B-24J             0    24    3    0
B-25C             0    2    0    0
B-25H             0    6    0    0
B-26B             0    4    0    0
Lancaster III     0    13    0    0
------------------------------------------
                               65    3

Kill of death 20+...
 :devil
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »
So right above the bomber?  Problem...how do I know when I've reached that point?  Can't really see to gauge my position.  Second, how high over the bomber?

about 1k +. I prefer 2k more..
edit :
higher is better (look screenshots again)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:49:23 AM by Kazan_HB »
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »
Gotcha.

My kills are sadly 54/20, a bit better than 2 to 1 but still getting killed. 

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »
So right above the bomber?  Problem...how do I know when I've reached that point?  Can't really see to gauge my position.  Second, how high over the bomber?

There are a couple of different ways to do it.  You can tail chase them, and keep rolling over to look at them, or offset from their course a few km, flying parallel to them, and then close once you're in position.  Its a little easier to keep track of them this way, but tougher to swing into attack position.  My ideal altitude advantage is 3,000 feet.  Any more than that and I have a tendency to pick up too much speed, any lower, and not enough.

You don't have to guess-timate the position of the bombers--just keep the nose of the lead bomber visible over your nose.  Then, once you've closed to a firing position maneuver to take the shot.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »
Gotcha.

My kills are sadly 54/20, a bit better than 2 to 1 but still getting killed. 

What aircraft are you using?

HiTech

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
ways  to and to not shoot at bombers are here as well    enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8EbLDhHEdU
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:31:27 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
my favorite is from about 1.5 to 2k directly above. Roll over and start the attack. I usually just aim to take one per pass. 190s are butchers.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
What aircraft are you using?

This tour I'm using the Spit 8 (about half the bomber kills in that were at 6-10k) and the K4. Last tour my primary ride was the Dora but it didn't have the hitting power or the durability for bomber interception (the radiator kept getting shot out and the engine quits pretty fast when it loses oil).

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »
Okay I've got some fail film I'd like to share.  What's a good place to post it so you guys can critique?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »
So right above the bomber?  Problem...how do I know when I've reached that point?  Can't really see to gauge my position.
This is why you should start it above and a little to the side, instead of directly above. A quick drop of the wing will give you a clear view of your position. During the attack the bombers will be to the lower and side of your nose making them less likely to disappear under the hood for extended periods. On top of all of that, you present a much harder target to the gunner because unlike you, he is not firing in the direction his plane is traveling and the correction for that varies with the aspect and elevations which is confusing for most gunners. Finally, your rebound and zoom is more efficient because you will be diving 20-30 deg less steep. The only price you have to pay is that your deflection shot is a tiny bit more difficult, but definitely worthwhile.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs