Author Topic: Aircraft Performance vs Type of Joystick You Use  (Read 1601 times)

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
Re: Aircraft Performance vs Type of Joystick You Use
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
 I still use a 5 yr old Saitek ST-290 with an old GForce8400 card. I fly with a frame rate of 20 mostly. I don't even know if it is microsoft or not. I am not sure if a new stick would help me lol.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
I've never seen a MS sidewinder stick that was a power hawg. However, rather than run the ancient 3dpro  I'd suggest you get a modern USB sidewinder like the MS Prec 2 USB.

As to the Sidewinder being bouncy, a bit of deadband, and a bit of scaling can quickly tame that bouncy beast.

Instead of using the scaling at the default stairstep, try a low curve.

(Image removed from quote.)

Something along this line.
Ghosth:

Always a help!! (Ghosth is the guy that found me in the TA 3 years ago on my FIRST DAY, ground rolling an F4U.....18 times in a row according to my 8 yr old son that reminded me how terrible I was at the game)Is there a scaling "guru" here at HTC in the training corps or offices that could write some explanations on scaling?  Maybe ask Skuzzy to create a forum topic for joystick scaling?  The reason I ask is because I have spoken with 30+ pilots ingame about scaling and all of them have helped in specific situations but all have admitted limited understanding of each slider and how it works.  I know that when scaling is understood and applied as correctly as possible, it is a tremendous aid in the game...bouncy sticks, torque rolling when unwanted etc.

If any of you folks think it would be a good BBS Category too, sound off because I would really like to understand it better.  Fixing some of these issues for me through scaling would make the game a ton more enjoyable and it would add a topic resource for new folks that might get unnecessarily frustrated with their equipment.  Just a thought...

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
I still use a 5 yr old Saitek ST-290 with an old GForce8400 card. I fly with a frame rate of 20 mostly. I don't even know if it is microsoft or not. I am not sure if a new stick would help me lol.
I have a GTS 250 video card I will sell you for $80 bucks...1 gig, DDR3...I shouldn't have replaced it truthfully...but I don't feel like taking things apart and returning the new POS GTX 460 I bought.  In fact, I will throw in one of my 3D Pro joysticks too!  Send me a PM.

Changeup

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
Joysticks are like noodlees. It's how you use it that matters  :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »
I have CH equipment.

I have seen some great mouse peelots too.

I think the equipment you use can make a difference. I also believe that what is good for one person may not be so good for another. Some folks are smooth on controls others may be a little more ham fisted.

We have a lot of adjustment available to us in game so that we may get the most from whatever we use.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
I am using the 3d pro also changeup never touched the scaling and it handles like a charm. how old are you ? Just wondering i notice older pilots tend to yank and jerk the stick about just to get it to do what they want
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
I've never seen a MS sidewinder stick that was a power hawg. However, rather than run the ancient 3dpro  I'd suggest you get a modern USB sidewinder like the MS Prec 2 USB.

As to the Sidewinder being bouncy, a bit of deadband, and a bit of scaling can quickly tame that bouncy beast.

Instead of using the scaling at the default stairstep, try a low curve.

(Image removed from quote.)

Something along this line.

Would these settings help for a sitek 52?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »
 is there some kind of industry standard that the Min/Max deadbands are set at ?

Not for the deadbands as those are usually set by the driver, programming software or DirectX (via DirectInput).  There is a standard in that virtually all gaming sticks are 8 bit and have a signal throw of 0-255 (meaning when you move your stick, the signals move incrementally from 0 to 255).  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
Would these settings help for a sitek 52?

Yes...

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
Not for the deadbands as those are usually set by the driver, programming software or DirectX (via DirectInput).  There is a standard in that virtually all gaming sticks are 8 bit and have a signal throw of 0-255 (meaning when you move your stick, the signals move incrementally from 0 to 255).  

ack-ack

Would a particular brand keep a standard setting for this?  I ask because as I mentioned when I plugged in the new saitek stick it was very similar to what I was used to with the X52 without mucking about with the scaling side of things...And the 3D pro was vastly different in feel.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »
I am using the 3d pro also changeup never touched the scaling and it handles like a charm. how old are you ? Just wondering i notice older pilots tend to yank and jerk the stick about just to get it to do what they want

45...and I do tend to be ham fisted with the thing.  I will post the scaling that Bentnail told me about a couple of years ago...man, it was unreal how it positively affected my hit%...then it just stopped working the same.  I mean smoothly...now my nose wobbles around when I get below 150 in any aircraft.  I mean bouncy...Im going to try Ghosth's scaling when I get home tonight to see if it helps.

Ultimately I think it would be nice to have an area in the BBS where folks could post their scaling inputs and discuss what they do to fix issues or make their sticks perform a little better.

Changeup
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:51:17 PM by Changeup »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
Went from cyborg X to 3dpro, 3dpro nestles somewhere tween by ball sack and my poochute  :D

Actually I think the 3dpro has a shorter throw so it makes me stall too much now.

In reality it is probably the operator, I still think the stick suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuucks  :furious

JUGlger
Army of Muppets

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
Went from cyborg X to 3dpro, 3dpro nestles somewhere tween by ball sack and my poochute  :D

Actually I think the 3dpro has a shorter throw so it makes me stall too much now.

In reality it is probably the operator, I still think the stick suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuucks  :furious

JUGlger
I will post the scaling that Bentnail showed me and see if that helps...I believe it will.  If you start killing people more than you already do because of this scaling, the AH community cannot blame me...they have to blame Bentnail.

Changeup

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 06:23:22 PM »

JUGlger
:lol the stick goes out fairly easy and quick yes but if you handle it alot smoother it will not go out as quick i find no problems with the 3D Pro other than the short time period i have of using it but that dont matter anyway i have a lifetime warranty on them  :neener: :neener: :neener:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.