Author Topic: Looking for a K4 trainer  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: Looking for a K4 trainer
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »
Well here's my notes on my experiences with the k4 so far:

1. It seems to work best when I use tactics similar to what I do with the Dora or A8, meaning I fly it as a BnZ'er.

2. It feels like it turns better than the FW's, (which almost goes without saying), at least it turns well enough to set up some shots, but it's not a turn-fighter by any means.

3. It's great for bomber killing, but like the Dora it's susceptible to radiator damage.

4. Controls get mushy around 400, but at least it doesn't creak like the ki84.

5. Flaps are great for getting over the top of loops and (if I'm desperate) for an extra bit of turn at slower speeds.

6. The 30mm is of course an issue.  Best range is at 200ish. I have my convergence set for 300.  I'm wary of taking longer shots with it because of the ammo load. Deflection shots are difficult, but not impossible.

Against specific aircraft:

Mustang: Good matchup.  Killed 2 the other day with no problem.

Spitsteen: A problem.  Not sure if it has any distinct advantages over the 16...maybe climb rate?

Corsair: Haven't had a good fight against a hog yet, but have successfully used e-tactics against them with a Ki84. I expect the K4's climb rate will let me gain energy advantage, although I've yet to try it.

Turnfighters, small birds (Niki, Zeke, Brew): Can't turn with em, can't hit em.

Comments appreciated as always.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »
Well here's my notes on my experiences with the k4 so far:

1. It seems to work best when I use tactics similar to what I do with the Dora or A8, meaning I fly it as a BnZ'er.

2. It feels like it turns better than the FW's, (which almost goes without saying), at least it turns well enough to set up some shots, but it's not a turn-fighter by any means.

3. It's great for bomber killing, but like the Dora it's susceptible to radiator damage.

4. Controls get mushy around 400, but at least it doesn't creak like the ki84.

5. Flaps are great for getting over the top of loops and (if I'm desperate) for an extra bit of turn at slower speeds.

6. The 30mm is of course an issue.  Best range is at 200ish. I have my convergence set for 300.  I'm wary of taking longer shots with it because of the ammo load. Deflection shots are difficult, but not impossible.

Against specific aircraft:

Mustang: Good matchup.  Killed 2 the other day with no problem.

Spitsteen: A problem.  Not sure if it has any distinct advantages over the 16...maybe climb rate?

Corsair: Haven't had a good fight against a hog yet, but have successfully used e-tactics against them with a Ki84. I expect the K4's climb rate will let me gain energy advantage, although I've yet to try it.

Turnfighters, small birds (Niki, Zeke, Brew): Can't turn with em, can't hit em.

Comments appreciated as always.
1. Probably best not to use it for BnZ since its got horrid high speed handling.
2.Turns very well, buts it is like a P38...you need to put it into that angle where it does(vertical scissors)
3. I hate attacking bombers in a K4, the gun doesnt shoot far enough so you have to get in close....which leads to RAD damage ;)
4.Definately can go fast, use manual trim to control it better watch out for the blackout
5.Yes they are, they also help with hanging it on its prop which the K4 does....well is an understatement
6.Grizz has an AWESOME write up on the 30mm gun and aiming it......try to collide with thee person :D

Mustang-Should be an Easy fight unless he dives away

Spits-Hard fight for any plane

Corsair- even hard if the F4U has alt advantage but you can still win it.

everything else- K4 unleashs the pwn except the KI84......KI84 is top 3 fighters in game IMO
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
1. Probably best not to use it for BnZ since its got horrid high speed handling.
2.Turns very well, buts it is like a P38...you need to put it into that angle where it does(vertical scissors)
3. I hate attacking bombers in a K4, the gun doesnt shoot far enough so you have to get in close....which leads to RAD damage ;)
4.Definately can go fast, use manual trim to control it better watch out for the blackout
5.Yes they are, they also help with hanging it on its prop which the K4 does....well is an understatement
6.Grizz has an AWESOME write up on the 30mm gun and aiming it......try to collide with thee person :D

Mustang-Should be an Easy fight unless he dives away

Spits-Hard fight for any plane

Corsair- even hard if the F4U has alt advantage but you can still win it.

everything else- K4 unleashs the pwn except the KI84......KI84 is top 3 fighters in game IMO

drag a k4 to the deck and force him into a turn fight and he can be outturned by a p40.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »
drag a k4 to the deck and force him into a turn fight and he can be outturned by a p40.

WTF are you smoking? I want some.  :D

The K4 is not a bad turn fighter at all if you fly it right, I get inside spits turns all the time. It's nothing like a 190... I started flying 109s because I got tired of BnZing in 190s.

Top 3 huh Junky? K4 is definitely #1 in front of the Spit16.....................

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
K4 is a good mix between turnfighter and E fighter. I used to mainly fly the D9, but it lacks the turnfighting ability so I traded it in for a K4. The K4, unlike its counterpart the spitfires. It requires a lot of micro skill to make it deadly. Just like any plane, you should fly the K4 and maintain your E advantages until you really have to get into a turnfight.
Since aiming is the bread and butter of fighting, you gotta focus on working with the 30mm. It's a different beast. You can't use it like a 20mm or 50 cals, hitting targets w/ crazy deflections shot. With the 30mm, you have to get into the habit of making a collision snap shot. Look up Grizz's write up on this.
It took me a while to get use to this collision snapshot, but once you get it down the K4 then became tameable and a lot more enjoyable to fly. Here's a film on one of my K4 sorties. Focus on how the snapshots are make and the set up for it.

http://www.filefront.com/17434378/K4-8K+1.ahf
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
So...

Nobody is going to mention using the MASSIVE torque to your advantage?   :devil

Throttle management cannot be stressed enough in the K4.

Fight in the vertical.

I set taters at 400 and, if lucky, can hit at 600.  Set convergence so mg's and taters hit at same spot.  Use mg's for walking in the rounds and let a tater or 2 fly when on target.

I, personally, see only about 2% of planes that I kill (meaning most are crossing or deflection shots where I'm pulling ridiculous lead and target is under nose)

Search for Agent360's films on the K4.

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Ill let you test that on me in the DA....we will see if your P40 lasts 2 turns  :aok

So...

Nobody is going to mention using the MASSIVE torque to your advantage?   :devil

Throttle management cannot be stressed enough in the K4.

Fight in the vertical.

I set taters at 400 and, if lucky, can hit at 600.  Set convergence so mg's and taters hit at same spot.  Use mg's for walking in the rounds and let a tater or 2 fly when on target.

I, personally, see only about 2% of planes that I kill (meaning most are crossing or deflection shots where I'm pulling ridiculous lead and target is under nose)

Search for Agent360's films on the K4.

You shouldnt be shooting your tator at 600 out...unless its a buff maybe.

I normally roll against my torque....makes for easier shots and gets me behind my opponent
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »
Ill let you test that on me in the DA....we will see if your P40 lasts 2 turns  :aok
You shouldnt be shooting your tator at 600 out...unless its a buff maybe.

I normally roll against my torque....makes for easier shots and gets me behind my opponent

Makes for a great surprise as most (like you) think that they are safe at d600 from a Kurfurst.
 :rock

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
Makes for a great surprise as most (like you) think that they are safe at d600 from a Kurfurst.
 :rock

Think? at 600 Im safe from most every bullet, shoot I started reversals closer then that against CHogs
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
Think? at 600 Im safe from most every bullet, shoot I started reversals closer then that against CHogs

Puff, puff, pass.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
Anyone know the title of Grizz's post on the K4? I found Agent's films and they are a gold mine, even without using the K4.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
ive outturned K4's in a p40 twice on the deck.(in the DA) funny thing tho, the second k4 realised i was begining to outturn him, so he suddenly switched to vertical. pretty much nosedived right into the ground  :lol

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
ive outturned K4's in a p40 twice on the deck.(in the DA) funny thing tho, the second k4 realised i was begining to outturn him, so he suddenly switched to vertical. pretty much nosedived right into the ground  :lol

I turn fight in them pretty comfortably myself.  Just so you know, getting into a turn fight with a plane like a p40 and then taking it vert, is a tactic.  A good one too I might add.  You can bleed the other guy's E and then go up, when he can't.  Then you can pretty much kill him at your leisure.  I'd guess that you weren't messing with any experienced K4 sticks, just a Kurfurst tourist. A P40 should really have very little to no chance against a K4. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
I turn fight in them pretty comfortably myself.  Just so you know, getting into a turn fight with a plane like a p40 and then taking it vert, is a tactic.  A good one too I might add.  You can bleed the other guy's E and then go up, when he can't.  Then you can pretty much kill him at your leisure.  I'd guess that you weren't messing with any experienced K4 sticks, just a Kurfurst tourist. A P40 should really have very little to no chance against a K4. 

When I need to turn fight planes that out turn me, I try to something super risky...

the 109k4 can dump and regain 'e' quickly, so I dump my 'e' faster than the other guy, forcing an overshoot, then I chase them around until I score a hit or get picked.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
The P40 is uber...

But this is a K4 thread so..... K4 K4 K4.......
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:36:45 PM by SPKmes »