Author Topic: Windows 7 64 bit and Aces High  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows 7 64 bit and Aces High
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »
You cannot imagine how frustrating it is to try and track down this W7 64 problem.

I understand, but I would never of signed up for this upcoming scenario knowing it was still around, I thought it was gone.

Nothing is worse than flying with the bombers all the way to Berlin in the scenario and have AH crash. It could literally mean a 3 hour waste of time...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
Is AH officially supporting Win7 64bits or not?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
Is AH officially supporting Win7 64bits or not?

good question nuke!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
It is not up to the application to support an OS, per se.  We cannot fix bugs in an OS.  It is difficult, to impossible, to work around an undocumented OS bug, when you do not have access to the source code of the OS.

All we can do it program to what the operating system provides.  After that, it is up to the OS/drivers to do what they are documented to do.

NOTE:  OS bug could be drivers as well, which is not Microsoft's responsibility.

Why does this bug exist on the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and not the 32 bit says the problem could be in the core OS, or in a driver.  The inconsistency of the problem points more to drivers, than to the core OS.  That is just a logical assumption, with no real basis in fact.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
If it helps any, I've been running AH problem free for over a year (win7 64 bit).

Then I started experiencing lock ups.  Happened three times in two weeks.  Nothing I could reproduce obviously, and once it happened while simply sitting in the tower.  I walked away to get a beverage and came back with the "AH HAS EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM" message or whatever.

Then about a week and half ago, Windows update wanted to update my on-board sound drivers.  It caught me off guard because I thought it had already just updated them and was surprised to see another update available so quickly.. then it hit me that the crashes began after updating the drivers the first time, so I went ahead and let it install the other new update.

It hasn't crashed since then.  I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or whether it's going to happen still or not.  I should also note that I don't even use my on-board sound with AH.  Yes, the driver is enabled (I used it for my other basic windows sounds, surfing, music, etc) but I plug in my Turtle Beach USB headphones which use their own sound drivers, and I have everything set to go through that from within Aces High.

*I should note that I can set the radio up for the headphones and the sounds through the speakers and while it's kind of cool, I prefer to just run it all through the headphones.

I think maybe I'll reinstall the sound drivers from the motherboard's website and see what happens...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
Tigger29,

is your onboard sound  Realtek ?

they have came out with new driver updates pretty frequently in the last several months....... not sure why , Ihave not bothered to read up on it any..

just one website I frequent that shows a lot of PC/OS/videocard/soundcard/internet/security  information which sometimes shows up 2 to 3 months earlier before I see people like Cnet or PCworld or the regular internet PC/Web News/information sites post it....

seems bout every week or 2 to 3 weeks lately their have been postings of "New REALTEK Audio Driver Update" threads posted....

might have something to do with why some people are having problems while others are not, regarding windows 7.... who knows
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
yep the exact chipset you are sporting would be useful, also if you could fetch the different driver versions you used that'd be great! My own experience with inboard sound cards is that it caused micro freezes in the game, even if I was using a different output device. I deactivated it in the BIOS and put a sound blaster 2 ZS instead and it fixed the freezes. I use Win7 64bits also.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
Tigger29, is your onboard sound  Realtek ?

Actually yes it is, however the drivers Windows was installing said "High Definition Audio Device" but there were two instances installed, and then there was a third audio device for my Turtle Beach 5.1 USB Headset, "Audio Advantage SRM Device."

In my bios, I disabled the on-board audio.  Upon reboot, now I still had one instance of "High Definition Audio Device".  That ended up being the HDMI audio drivers for the video card.  I could have SWORE that I disabled that, but now that I think of it I think I'm thinking of when I disabled it for a squadmate's system I was building.  Anyway I have that disabled in the Device Manager (I can't find any other way to disable it).  I downloaded the Realtek drivers from my motherboard's website (ASRock G43Twins-FullHD) and the Audio Drivers from Turtle Beach's website.  I then fully uninstalled the Turtle Beach software AND the realtek software, as well as right clicking on them from the Device Manager and "uninstalling" as well as checking the box to remove all drivers as well.

I then proceeded to install the Realtek drivers from my download, and after testing that rebooted and installed the Turtle Beach software.  After another reboot I have everything back up and running, and now show the following three entries in my Device Manager:

-Audio Advantage SRM Device (This is for the Turtle Beach headphones)
-High Definition Audio Device - DISABLED (This is the HDMI audio for the video I don't use anyway)
-Realtek High Definition Audio (This is the onboard audio and set as the DEFAULT audio device in the sound properties)

I went into Aces High OFFLINE mode and played with the sound settings and got everything back to normal.  I've noticed that the sound properties for AH get kind of goofy whenever a change is made.  Simply selecting the proper device for the headphones and for the speakers is not enough.  I've found that you have to click ACCEPT and then back out and back in to the menu and switch all four devices to "SPEAKER", click accept again and then switch them all back to "HEADSET" once again regardless to how it was set before.  It's kind of like it forgets what to do with what and when you make a change (even if you are changing it BACK to where it was to begin with) then it updates and then everything is good.  It's just a small bug that hopefully will get fixed eventually.

It's kind of fun to set up the sounds for the speakers and the vox for the headset, but to me that kind of defeats the purpose of having a surround sound headset... especially one that covers your ears and blocks the sound from the speakers... so I run it all through the headset.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted if I experience another crash.  I honestly don't know for sure if this is the issue or not, but it feels good to have the actual "realtek" drivers installed now, instead of generic microsoft drivers... I just have to remember not to let it update them.

Offline Bijl

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.1strof.com
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »
There are too many topics regarding the "Aceshigh stopped working.exe" in combination with W7 x64, so I picked one, and this is it ;)
Anyway, I have 2 different systems which have the same issue. They both have completely different hardware components, nvidia and ati cards, soundblaster and onboard cards, etc etc.
Since a few days I updated to Windows 7 Service Pack 1, it's just released, and I suggest to update to this SP anyway. Coming with that I noticed a patch in the 'Optional' section of Windows update. It is described in this article:

"An application that uses Direct2D or Direct3D may crash in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113

Since I'm running with that update, I had no crash so far, but I only have played for about 3 to 4 hours. So I'm not in the position to raise the flag yet, but could all of you guys suffering with this issue please check this optional update in your "Windows Update" and give it a try, so that we can have some feedback if this solves something... I'll report back when I'm able to build some more flying hours.. Thanks!

~S~
Axe 'Bijl' de Jong
1st. Lt. 1st.ROF Netherlands 322 Sqn.RAF
"Niet praten, maar doen!"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
Does Aces High host Internet Explorer components?  :huh
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
I will note that it's been almost three weeks now since I straightened out my audio drivers, and I haven't suffered one single crash.

(Of course now that I said that it will probably crash next time I log on!  :lol )

I haven't made the SP1 just just yet...  I'll need to update my backup image and all that before I make that leap of faith.

Offline Bijl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »

It could be that a lot is hosting these components. IE is known to be deeply integrated within the OS, so who knows...
Axe 'Bijl' de Jong

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »

No.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
I will note that it's been almost three weeks now since I straightened out my audio drivers, and I haven't suffered one single crash.

(Of course now that I said that it will probably crash next time I log on!  :lol )

I haven't made the SP1 jump just yet...  I'll need to update my backup image and all that before I make that leap of faith.

:ahand HAHA it locked up once last night.  Was in a panzer.  Thought it was all cleared out.  Stopped completely on grass about 1 mile from base.  Ended flight.  Got "ditched" message and BAM lockup!

That's OK though... I'll try SP1 and see what happens.

Offline Bijl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
Get the optional ones too Tigger, hope it will help for you.. ~S~
Axe 'Bijl' de Jong