Author Topic: Hawk problem  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Hawk problem
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 10:31:01 PM »
let the chickens that survive continue training to become top fighters in chinatown

:lol
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
have you thought of scareing it? whenver you see it flying around, dont shoot it but shoot at it. maybe get a dog aswell, something to protect your livestock? we had a HUGE fox problem on my grandfathers farm here in ohio.lost 7 chickens to them till we finally got what i believe was a rott weiler. the problem pretty much stoped after that. just got to make the place look to hostile for the bird to want to risk it.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 11:08:59 PM »
Well Tup could go stand in the yard all day and sing which would pretty much scare any living creature away but a dog might me a better idea ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
We have 4 dogs that are outside pretty much all the time. They don't even intimidate the hawks
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
We have a family friend that is a vet, and she came over and said the bird needed to be put down. We didn't think it was that bad, but the vet lifted her wing up and her side was cut wide open, you could see all her ribs. It was really sad, but we gave her a good life, and I find comfort in that.

Sorry to hear about that.  What breeds of chickens do you have?  

Here's a little COMMON sense for you, he has done nothing illegal.  Let the warden show up to his house, without a dead bird and proof that he shot it there's nothing they can do.  There is nothing "to get out of".  Go ahead and actually call the wardens, let them know that on the intardnet some kid said that if he shot a bird, no one would know.  They take a lot of flak, I'm sure a free chuckle would do them good.

Whether he dose it or not, if the game warden receives any tip of a possible illegal raptor shooting, they take it serious and investigate it.  If they do not find anything, great.  It dose not matter how they received the tip, they will investigate it.

Would you go around in the public and talk about killing somebody?  Even though you have not committed the crime, law enforcement will take it as a threat.  Making threats dose not make you above the law.  There is common scene for you.

QUit being a wuss take a shotgun and off the bird and while your at it deal with the oakranger....

Orrr let the chickens that survive continue training to become top fighters in chinatown

You have no clue how serious Tupac get get into on a state and federal law if he shot one of these birds.  It may be a bird to you, but they are protected.  
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »
This topic would be a great troll on the PETA forums.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
This topic would be a great troll on the PETA forums.

:rofl, do they have one?

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »
2 australorps 2 barred rock and 3 brahma (had 6, which is strange because they are the biggest) 1 bantam and 9 rhode island red (had 10) but we also have 7 little ones we aren't sure about.

Also, I thought I had made it obvious I don't intend to shoot the bird. I AM NOT SHOOTING THE BIRD!!

That was the whole point of this thread, to find a different avenue of getting rid of him without harming him.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

My favorite organisation, you could even call me a fundamentalist.  :devil

-Penguin

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
I'm gonna buy one of those big plastic owls and set it up. I understand that it is a bird of prey, and it's just doing what god intended it to do, but it needs to stay away from my house. We hatched these chickens and raised them, they all have names and it really hurts to lose them. I had to shoot one yesterday because the hawk tore a big hole in it's side, my mom saw the hawk attack itt and ran out to chase it off and it flew away before it could finish off the chicken.  Please understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to explore all my options. If someone reports me, so be it. I haven't done anything.

Ummm... again.  Remove the food source, IE put the chickens away.  Predators prey on other animals.  If predators can't get at your precious chickens, they move away.  Until then, they don't.  

This is akin to the "why'd that alligator eat fluffy my poodle that I let run around the canal barking at ducks all day?" problem here in Florida.  Then go kill the alligator for doing what it's supposed to do... kill dumb animals.

Why are people so dense?
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 12:26:20 AM »
Sorry to hear about that.  What breeds of chickens do you have?  

Whether he dose it or not, if the game warden receives any tip of a possible illegal raptor shooting, they take it serious and investigate it.  If they do not find anything, great.  It dose not matter how they received the tip, they will investigate it.

Would you go around in the public and talk about killing somebody?  Even though you have not committed the crime, law enforcement will take it as a threat.  Making threats dose not make you above the law.  There is common scene for you.

You have no clue how serious Tupac get get into on a state and federal law if he shot one of these birds.  It may be a bird to you, but they are protected.  

I think you just be trolling. I mean we know "they are protected" you have said it a bunch already.

What does redtail hawk taste like :noid

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »
Ummm... again.  Remove the food source, IE put the chickens away.  Predators prey on other animals.  If predators can't get at your precious chickens, they move away.  Until then, they don't.  

This is akin to the "why'd that alligator eat fluffy my poodle that I let run around the canal barking at ducks all day?" problem here in Florida.  Then go kill the alligator for doing what it's supposed to do... kill dumb animals.

Why are people so dense?

Here comes moray "animal whisperer" to enlighten us on how animals all deserve to frolic in peace and people are so stupid......blah blah blah hippie blah thats all I hear.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
2 australorps 2 barred rock and 3 brahma (had 6, which is strange because they are the biggest) 1 bantam and 9 rhode island red (had 10) but we also have 7 little ones we aren't sure about.

Also, I thought I had made it obvious I don't intend to shoot the bird. I AM NOT SHOOTING THE BIRD!!

That was the whole point of this thread, to find a different avenue of getting rid of him without harming him.

I know you are smart enough not to, just watch how you say thing.  Nerveless, MtnMann is one person that gave you good advice and you always have the wildlife and parks on your side too.   :salute  There are some things i take serious, shooting any raptors is one of them.  

I like what you have.  I try to scout around that area for chickens farmers and collect the feather for fly tying.  Saddle Hackle, schlappen, Blood Quill to name a few.  The red rhode island (one of my favorite breeds) cape (or neck feathers) are the ideal feather i need.  They can run between $40-$100.  

I am guessing you do 4H competition and FFA?  
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
Here comes moray "animal whisperer" to enlighten us on how animals all deserve to frolic in peace and people are so stupid......blah blah blah hippie blah thats all I hear.

My ankle is a little lower, sir.  This isn't an airport terminal. 
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce