Author Topic: Hawk problem  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Hawk problem
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
We have a hawk that has killed 4 of our chickens, and I was wondering how I could deal with it. I can't get a nuisance permit, and I can't shoot him (Well I could, but I'd like to avoid jail)

Has anyone had a problem with them before, and what is the best way to get rid of him?
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
Re: Hawk problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
Texas doesn't have any laws about protecting live stock and/or property?
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
Contact the state Wildlife and game.  I am sure they can help you on that. 

Texas doesn't have any laws about protecting live stock and/or property?

They do, all state do. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
From what I recall in KY. If it is not protected and it is destroying your property, crops or livestock, you have the right to kill it. But that is just what I think it is in KY. Haven't checked it in a while, though.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
I know here you can't kill any raptor, for any reason.
That being said. My gramps use to take pot shots at the redtails for the very same reason.
I don't think he ever killed one of the hawks but he did get two of the chickens. :devil
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
From what I recall in KY. If it is not protected and it is destroying your property, crops or livestock, you have the right to kill it. But that is just what I think it is in KY. Haven't checked it in a while, though.
We have the same thing in AR.

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
Call your local DNR office.  Here in GA they will either try to catch it and relocate it, or give you written permission to shoot it.  Also, here if they give you permission to shoot it, you must bring the bird to them once you kill it.  They take samples and stuff for testing.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Before ya shoot it, might as well identify its breed... just incase it's something really endangered (but I doubt it... if it's a redtail, shoot the bugger).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
Call the Game Warden here for your county...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/find_warden/county.phtml

It's not called DNR here but TPW or Texas Parks & Wildlife.

If that does not work then go to 3S.

Go here for a little fun reading...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?nrspan=2010&nrtype=gwfn&nrsearch=
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:24:41 PM by rogwar »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
Before ya shoot it, might as well identify its breed... just incase it's something really endangered (but I doubt it... if it's a redtail, shoot the bugger).
You can not shot any raptor nor matter what species it is. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »

It's a redtail, I'm going to do what rogwar suggested and call the game warden. If possible, I really don't want to kill it
You can not shot any raptor nor matter what species it is. 

I live out in the boonies, if I shoot it noone will see nor care.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
If your luck is anything like mine Tupac then the minute you do that a game warden will either come pulling up or just seem to materialize from nowhere.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
It's a redtail, I'm going to do what rogwar suggested and call the game warden. If possible, I really don't want to kill it
I live out in the boonies, if I shoot it noone will see nor care.

I did a little looking on the internet. Generally southern state laws allow killing of any animals preying on livestock. Birds of prey are protected at the federal level. It's a bit of a grey area. One game warden response was funny enough the same as mine. The 3Ss: Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.

I also read about keeping the chickens in an enclosed area for a couple of weeks. Right now you have a hawk free pass to the 7-11.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »
We have a hawk that has killed 4 of our chickens, and I was wondering how I could deal with it. I can't get a nuisance permit, and I can't shoot him (Well I could, but I'd like to avoid jail)

Has anyone had a problem with them before, and what is the best way to get rid of him?
can you not trap it? hang a piece of chicken inside a trap then just take the bird up to a game warden,  just dont do harm to the bird. trapping isent illegal is it?

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
I'd say just call the Warden if you aren't sure. Trapping is often just as strict as shooting and killing.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>