Author Topic: Long Range GV Training  (Read 691 times)

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
Long Range GV Training
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
Hello fellow GVers. I am looking to learn how to shoot enemy GVs from very long range. I have seen some folks consistently
hitting and killing from super long range and I would like to learn. If anyone is willing and able to teach I am usually on Friday afternoons. Thanks in advance and <S> to all and cya up in cartoon land.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Long Range GV Training
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:18 PM »
One of the tricks to long range shooting is to use the extra "forward" view (that you get by pressing fwd hat, or 8 on keypad) as a long range additional sight.  To do this you keep forward view pressed while slowly elevating the view from default until the gunsight's zero'd where the default gunsight's max range used to be.   

If the "new" gunsight has moved off the screen, you can still use it (provided it's still within the turret's optics) by panning your view down.   You can do this by switching to pan view mode by pressing F8, then your view hat buttons or keypad, till you've got the gunsight where you need it.  This pan view will stay as you set it only as long as you keep the FWD view button/key pressed.  Let FWD go and you'll have to re-pan the view.

Using the above trick you have to be sure not to translate the camera position in any other directions.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »
Kilroy you know to come to me :D  this is a tip for hitting tanks in 2 shots at any range

First off you take your sights and guesstimate how far away the tank is...if it the size of this font its pretty far away.

1.Take you sights and put them on where you think you'll hit the tank

2. Put your cursor on the tank

3. Fire-your tank will rock....let it settle down, and now put your sights back onto the tank which you will know because your cursor was there(DONT MOVE IT)

4. Now your round landed somewhere on your screen, so leaving your sights on the tank in the position we have come too....move your cursor to where it actually landed.

5.now move your sights onto the tank your cursor should now have (referenced you to there range) be it 2k or 6k.

It takes a little bit to get use to but its EASY and it works great for shooting when crooked.

If it doesn't make sense pm me ingame
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:54:32 PM by Belial »

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I will try practicing these ideas offline.  :joystick: I learned a lot from the first training session with you Belial, will you be available for a long range training session? <S> and thanks again for the advice.

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Another question I have is does it matter which tank is chosen for long range shooting? Is tiger better than T34 or m4 etc?.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »
Another question I have is does it matter which tank is chosen for long range shooting? Is tiger better than T34 or m4 etc?.
I like the tiger and the panther for long range stuff,,,, it comes down to what your trying to kill tho  you dont want to have a stand off with a tiger if your in anything less  he can simply kill you from a lot farther away than you can him!
 the panther has a much better ability to articulate its gun both up and down and the speed it moves, ( speed is not a big factor at long range as much tho!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyxAMntVvk

the shot at 50 seconds was made from a tiger to a panzer, on the move, not sure what my range was but it took over six seconds for the round to leave my gun and hit his tank!  someone could do the math on that i am sure!
 to make shots like that takes lots and lots of practice, i give lessons every now and then as well,, look me up sometime!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:41:54 AM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
Thanks WWhiskey I will try and look you up. I would like to find a group of GVers to work with.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
kilroy honestly your quickest way to get better is to join my squad and just come gv with me  :)   or join as a trial we have alot of good fighter sticks too :salute

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
Great video Whiskey!
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:16:15 AM »
Excellent video WWhiskey.

I like to zoom all the way in on my turret view.
1. Hit F8
2. hit page up page down while raising my turret. Keeping the target area in view.
3. Fire a range shot and place mouse curser where it landed. You will need to fire a couple of shots until you get ranged in. Once your ranged in just leave your curser on the target and use that when you fire again.

This method is for the really long range shots when you have to raise your turret so high that you cannot see the target..
Go somewhere and try this out. You will be amazed at how far you can actually shoot. I would recommend doing this with a Sherman 76 :salute

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline kilroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the brief training session Belial.   <S>