Author Topic: Learning Curve  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Learning Curve
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
The skills learned in from dueling apply to all aspects of fighting in the MA, especially regarding converting unfavorable situations to favorable ones.
...against a single opponent.

Also, dueling greatly expands your ability to manage your plane, execute acms, and know what to do when.

It doesn't do squat to give you the SA to respond to multiple bandits or the ability to know what works and what doesn't defending against multiples.

Sure anyone can get kills when they have a huge advantage, (either numerically or 'e' wise), but when the situation gets hairy, it's the guys who have been dueling who come out alive and the ones who haven't, end up in someone else's score tally.

If that's the case, please explain then why so many duelists whine about getting picked so often?  Fighting in a group is completely different from fighting 1v1.  Like I said, some crossover, but picking one guy out of a group to fight 1v1 gets you killed, period.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
If that's the case, please explain then why so many duelists whine about getting picked so often?  Fighting in a group is completely different from fighting 1v1.  Like I said, some crossover, but picking one guy out of a group to fight 1v1 gets you killed, period.

because they are frustrated by the fact that any amount of skill in 'dueling' or 'MA fighting', is meaningless when faced with large numerical disadvantage.

Unless you are in a plane with an enormous speed adv, such as a me262, superior numerical advantage, will ultimate trump any thing else in AH.

you don't pick a guy to 1v1, in the MA, but you use the skills from practicing in a 1v1 to win.

It doesn't do squat to give you the SA to respond to multiple bandits or the ability to know what works and what doesn't defending against multiples.

Incorrect, the same ACMs apply if there are 1 or 100 cons.  As a matter of fact, when fighting more than one con, the trick is to group them so that you can think of them as 1 or 2 cons. On many occasions, I have reversed 2 or 3 cons at the same time by doing 1 acm.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:13:23 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
It seems there is a steep learning curve to getting better at this game. Well my arms getting numb I'm ready for the fast ball ,slider or screw ball.

I looked at my stats i have logged 1,020 hours in the last twelve months alone. That is an average of 2.79 hours per day.  And I have been on for three years + too embarrassed  to look up the rest of my time playing.

When is spring training over I'm ready to play!   Any  ideas on how to get my KD ratio up?  :old: :airplane:     

TY Angels10
Where can we find how many hours in a tour is spent?
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
Where can we find how many hours in a tour is spent?

Check your score on the webpage.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »

bla bla bla

If you can't kill a single opponent, you can't kill multiples.  He can learned how to pick and run in a day.  It really is not that complicated  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
Check your score on the webpage.
Cc thanks, I put 14 days in about 8 months(when I joined my current squad) before that I had 6 hours in 4 months before joining  :rofl :banana:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

Wiley.

Easy to explain.  When in a C202 and already 3 spit16s have gone down but the remaining 2 keep you bz, it is lame for someone like you with the superior SA to come in and take the 202 out don;t you think?  According to your criteria, every one should be in a 262 so they cannot get forced to a fight

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
because they are frustrated by the fact that any amount of skill in 'dueling' or 'MA fighting', is meaningless when faced with large numerical disadvantage.

Unless you are in a plane with an enormous speed adv, such as a me262, superior numerical advantage, will ultimate trump any thing else in AH.

A whine about getting beaten by massive superior numbers is generally phrased as a 'horde' not a 'pick'.  Of course massive numbers always win.

Dueling is great, but it only takes you so far in a multiple on multiple fight.

If you can't kill a single opponent, you can't kill multiples.  He can learned how to pick and run in a day.  It really is not that complicated  :lol

Geez guys, you're both awesome because you like to duel.  Feel better now?

All I'm saying is, there's more to surviving and getting kills in the MA than dueling skills.  If you fight against multiples like you're fighting a duel, you die, and depending on your personality, whine about having been picked when it happens.

Easy to explain.  When in a C202 and already 3 spit16s have gone down but the remaining 2 keep you bz, it is lame for someone like you with the superior SA to come in and take the 202 out don;t you think?  According to your criteria, every one should be in a 262 so they cannot get forced to a fight

In a side vs side conflict, you made the choice to dive into a crowd in your C202.  Now you're going to call it lame because the group of enemy you went into the middle of are trying to kill you?   :huh

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
Incorrect, the same ACMs apply if there are 1 or 100 cons.  As a matter of fact, when fighting more than one con, the trick is to group them so that you can think of them as 1 or 2 cons. On many occasions, I have reversed 2 or 3 cons at the same time by doing 1 acm.

Sorry, didn't see the edit.  ACM is ACM, but you have to apply them differently in a crowd.  You can't commit completely and saddle up on the guy in front of you unless the others are out of position to get to you.  You definitely can't commit to him for as long.

There's more to side vs side fighting than there is to dueling, and the skillsets don't completely translate over, that's all I'm saying.  Being good at one doesn't mean you're automatically good at the other.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »
A whine about getting beaten by massive superior numbers is generally phrased as a 'horde' not a 'pick'.  Of course massive numbers always win.

One can only pick another player if that person is not engaged, thus by definition, you are one the side with a numerical advantage.

if you have completely even numbers on both sides, its very hard to pick, without someone killing you.

Also, dueling doesn't mean 1v1. Often in the dueling arena, we will practice 2v2s or 3v3s. The difference is that you don't have to fly half a sector to get into a fight and thus can get into more fights. As with anything... the more you do it, the better you become, so if you can get into 10 fights an hour instead of 5, you become better twice as fast.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »

Geez guys, you're both awesome because you like to duel.  Feel better now?

All I'm saying is, there's more to surviving and getting kills in the MA than dueling skills.  If you fight against multiples like you're fighting a duel, you die, and depending on your personality, whine about having been picked when it happens.

I was feeling pretty good to begin with, but yeah, a little better now  :neener:

I don;t think that that is what you said, but ok.  Imagine an MA full of people flying with SA and numbers.  The three countries would never meet because any engagement could result in death.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »
One can only pick another player if that person is not engaged, thus by definition, you are one the side with a numerical advantage.

if you have completely even numbers on both sides, its very hard to pick, without someone killing you.

I disagree.  In a side based fight with vertical separation, it's not that hard to get some separation from the guy you're fighting, and take a poke at a lower enemy engaged with a friendly, the only downside is, you've got to get another reversal on the guy you were originally engaged with.  It's a consideration that wouldn't come up in a 1v1.

Also, dueling doesn't mean 1v1. Often in the dueling arena, we will practice 2v2s or 3v3s.

Okay... any conversation I've been involved in, a duel was assumed to be 1v1 unless it was specified that it was squad on squad, but whatever.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
Pick one a/c one you like and one you can make kills with, stick with it for a while. Helped me.

Yes, pick one plane as your main ride. After you have gotten fairly proficient at killing. Learn some of the other more common planes that you dont normally fly or frequently end up flying against. Learn what they are good at doing and what they are not. Like getting good intel on an enemy will help you exploit its weaknesses Such is so with the aircraft.
There is plenty of data available for the other planes. but do not rely on written data alone. Just lke when goig up against an enemy army. "On observation is worth 1,000 written reports."

Know yourself, know your enemy
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
I was feeling pretty good to begin with, but yeah, a little better now  :neener:

I don;t think that that is what you said, but ok.  Imagine an MA full of people flying with SA and numbers.  The three countries would never meet because any engagement could result in death.

Well, you take a playstyle to the logical extreme, that's what you wind up with.

People who fly to survive and don't care about kills, taken to the extreme they fly around at ridiculous altitude and sightsee, and run if another aircraft gets close to them.
People who fly to get kills and don't care if they die, taken to the extreme run around and HO everything in sight until they're shot down, then do it again.
People who fly to do both have the most fun and are 'doing it right', IMO because they have to try to balance the two, and that uncertainty is what creates conflict.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
Well, you take a playstyle to the logical extreme, that's what you wind up with.

People who fly to survive and don't care about kills, taken to the extreme they fly around at ridiculous altitude and sightsee, and run if another aircraft gets close to them.
People who fly to get kills and don't care if they die, taken to the extreme run around and HO everything in sight until they're shot down, then do it again.
People who fly to do both have the most fun and are 'doing it right', IMO because they have to try to balance the two, and that uncertainty is what creates conflict.

Wiley.

And that is the part you don;t get.  I fly to do both.  However, I choose to do it by killing my opponents no matter how many, what plane they are in, and what advantage they may have.  If they don't have any of the above my job is easier.  If they do, my job is harder.  Do I die a lot doing it? yes, but heck of a lot more fun than running scared.

Here is what dueling teaches you.  I have the plane to run any time I feel like it but this was a bit more fun.
http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/LA7-1.ahf

Learn that in the MA if you can