Author Topic: Learning Curve  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Learning Curve
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
If you want to get better, the best way is to get people to duel you. Go to the DA, and ask, "Does anyone want to duel?"... you can ask in the ma too.

.facepalm 
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
It seems there is a steep learning curve to getting better at this game. Well my arms getting numb I'm ready for the fast ball ,slider or screw ball.

I looked at my stats i have logged 1,020 hours in the last twelve months alone. That is an average of 2.79 hours per day.  And I have been on for three years + too embarrassed  to look up the rest of my time playing.

When is spring training over I'm ready to play!   Any  ideas on how to get my KD ratio up?  :old: :airplane:     

TY Angels10

Don't worry about K/D, Just up in a place where you are overwhelmed by #s and altitude. That way you always have an excuse for losing and the few victories you get are that much sweeter  :)

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »

When is spring training over I'm ready to play!   Any  ideas on how to get my KD ratio up?  :old: :airplane:     

TY Angels10

a good way to i,prove is to fly with some good Squadmates using wingtactics!

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
I toyed with my K/D for a few tours and managed to get it above 2, which pales in comparison to the top players, but took soem effort for me. As a few guys posting on this thread have suggested, to go to the next level would have required flying mostly uber planes, having the altitude to pick and run, avoid furballs, etc. It started to seem like work. Lately, my K/D is firmly entrenched in the 1's and I am enjoying myself.

One great suggestion is finding a good wingman. I envy those that do this well.

Just have fun, my friend.  :salute

pm me online, and I'll form up with you.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline angels10

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
Stop making me mad so I stop killing you

wait i'll prolly kill you anway

Now "B" you know i was just having fun a TT the other day. Don't take me serious even my wife wont do that.  I am honored to keep dying for you LOL <<S>>

As for the rest of you TY for your suggestions.  I will be in p51b for the next month or two. I will also be humbling myself to the Training Arena  :airplane:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:00:50 PM by angels10 »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »
a good way to i,prove is to fly with some good Squadmates using wingtactics!

I misunderstood.  I thought he was trying to improve his skills.  Cherry picking or ganging does improve K/D too.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

Now "B" you know i was just having fun a TT the other day. Don't take me serious even my wife wont do that.  I am honored to keep dying for you LOL <<S>>

As for the rest of you TY for your suggestions.  I will be in p51b for the next month or two. I will also be humbling myself to the Training Arena  :airplane:
Nothing humbling about the ta. I go there and do the aim bot thingy they have. It helps me out tremendously I mean I still suck but I suck just a bit less  :cheers:
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline jocrp6

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
   I wonder if ya trying too hard,  this is a true story!  lol.   I have a good freind I play golf with sometimes, and a couple other guy's, were the cut-up crew, drinking beer, no pressure, just a good time crew,  and he will say watch this' and just make crazy shot's,  all the time, just squealing unbeliveable,   
  But I have watched him play with his more serious golf counterpart's,  he just choke's and can't get focused, 
maybe just lighten up some,  just have fun, cut up with your sqad  buddies,  and don't worry bout it,
   Do this, write your score down now,  hide it, play a month like you could careless, and recheck-it,  just a thought
Misfire out,

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »
   I wonder if ya trying too hard,  this is a true story!  lol.   I have a good freind I play golf with sometimes, and a couple other guy's, were the cut-up crew, drinking beer, no pressure, just a good time crew,  and he will say watch this' and just make crazy shot's,  all the time, just squealing unbeliveable,   
  But I have watched him play with his more serious golf counterpart's,  he just choke's and can't get focused, 
maybe just lighten up some,  just have fun, cut up with your sqad  buddies,  and don't worry bout it,
   Do this, write your score down now,  hide it, play a month like you could careless, and recheck-it,  just a thought
Misfire out,

Yup.... fly naked.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline amulford

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
EWWW, Now I gotta gouge out my minds eye with a pencil.... :O
StraBult - FSO C/O ClaimJumpers

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
.facepalm 

why?  dueling will make you better much faster than hanging out in the ma.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
why?  dueling will make you better much faster than hanging out in the ma.

Dueling makes you better at dueling.  Hanging out in the MA makes you better at hanging out in the MA.

Two completely different skillsets, with some overlap.

Getting help with a trainer is probably the best thing to do.  One thing I've found amusing about training though, it takes a while and a lot of practice for some lessons to sink in.  I know things trainers told me, I've been flying against someone a couple months later when something goes spectacularly right and I see how different things apply in different situations.

The main thing is, don't get discouraged if improvement is slow.  It takes time.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »

Oh, don't worry, that's a moderate amount of playing time. There are many dweebs much worse than that  :noid

:noid

Just realized I've logged over 101 hours this month, 21 days in.....and there were many quite a few days I didn't play at all.....

:confused:  :uhoh  :bolt:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Dueling makes you better at dueling.  Hanging out in the MA makes you better at hanging out in the MA.

I guess it really comes down to what exactly is he trying to improve.

Surviving in the MA?  Then you are right,.  All he needs is to learn how to only engage with the advantage, how fast his plain is, and how many friends are around to bail him out.  All that he can learn in the MA.

Surviving a fight?  Then he needs to practice fighting either in the DA or TA.  Only advantage in the DA is that he will also learn what shots can kill and what just tickle.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:05 PM »

Two completely different skillsets, with some overlap.

Getting help with a trainer is probably the best thing to do.  One thing I've found amusing about training though, it takes a while and a lot of practice for some lessons to sink in.  I know things trainers told me, I've been flying against someone a couple months later when something goes spectacularly right and I see how different things apply in different situations.

The main thing is, don't get discouraged if improvement is slow.  It takes time.

Wiley.

Total BS, I bet your watermelon out of luck and dead when you are in an out numbered or unfavorable situation, because you don't know what to do.  The skills learned in from dueling apply to all aspects of fighting in the MA, especially regarding converting unfavorable situations to favorable ones.
Also, dueling greatly expands your ability to manage your plane, execute acms, and know what to do when.

Sure anyone can get kills when they have a huge advantage, (either numerically or 'e' wise), but when the situation gets hairy, it's the guys who have been dueling who come out alive and the ones who haven't, end up in someone else's score tally.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)