Author Topic: wingman tactics  (Read 5599 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: wingman tactics
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
sorry Puma but you are incorrect saying flying solo youll lose sight......with the no icons of AvA yes its harder to track a con, but one guy can track quite easily.......if this game was real life I could understand the importance of the wingmanin but its a game......no one really dies.....im a "lone wolf" type, and very much enjoy the challenge of fighting against the hourdlings....and get a kick outta those that are so afraid to have there cartoon pilot die.....haha

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »
sorry Puma but you are incorrect saying flying solo youll lose sight......with the no icons of AvA yes its harder to track a con, but one guy can track quite easily.......if this game was real life I could understand the importance of the wingmanin but its a game......no one really dies.....im a "lone wolf" type, and very much enjoy the challenge of fighting against the hourdlings....and get a kick outta those that are so afraid to have there cartoon pilot die.....haha

Nope, you are the one that is wrong, not puma.

Nobody can see through the belly. There are many pilots who know this and use it to their advantage.

I used to do a lot of training and my squad mates learned that I knew how to hide. My CO always says "if you can't see Dawger then he is at your low six about to pull the trigger"

Wingman tactics are just as effective in the game as real life.

You only THINK you can see everything. Low six o'clock is the perfect spot to hide from folks who think they can see everything.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »
you'll lose sight if you are not practicing your outside the cockpit "SA" thoroughly..... also if you are fighting more than one opponent at the same time and do not keep them both in the same hemisphere

if you are fighting just 1 opponent or are keeping them both in the same hemisphere while fighting 2 opponents and you are keeping on top of your "SA" outside the cockpit ( your surroundings ) then you are very likely to not lose sight....

it all depends on how one flys their cartoon plane. so both of them are correct & both  are wrong

edit: I agree wingman tactics work just as well in game (if not Better with the right 2 winging ) as they do in Real Life

and yes, one that knows what to do can hide from his opponent and keep hidden if he flys smartly and stays aware

hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:59:39 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
when i get into multi-con fights in there, i'll try to lock on one. i'll note where others are at that time. i listen for them. i listen to the radio.......i especially get my head on a harder swivel if the con in front suddenly goes into the vertical, or goes into gentler maneuvers.
 if i have to, i'll break off, and acquire a different target. if a friendly needs help, i do. if i see a friendly coming my way, i'll try to set up someone for him.
 it's tough as all hell in the ava.......in a different way than it is in the other arenas. it's a new/different challenge.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
Dawger-  sorry but you obviously read what u want out of my post,I said in the AvA it is a bit harder to keep track...but in the mains...it so easy to keep track is rediculous. ive been lone wolfing it for years, and havnt lost a fight due to losing track of nme since probably tour 54 my second one here....he said a lone wolf will lose track.....I said they wont.....and anyone who lone wolfs it for a period of time will easily keep track of a number of cons, try sneaking up on me...youll find it quite difficult guarantee it.   now again this is in the mains, in AvA its a bit differant obviously, I never disagreed that wingman tactics make it easier of course it does.....but unlike many here, I prefer a bit of difficulty in my game, so I avoid the green guys as much as possable, and many have found its almost impossable to sneak up on me, no matter where your trying to attack from. 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »

No, Ink, I am not incorrect. If you think you can keep track of everyone around you, well, disappointment is on the way.  This of course assumes that you fly your cartoon plane from inside and don't use the "out of plane" view option or some other game trick (or is it called a cheat?)  If this is the case, then, you aren't really flying but, observing from a far.

I really don't need for you to reveal that this is a game and people don't really die.  That has no bearing on the reality of tactics, visual lookout, and situational awareness (SA).  In the AvA no icon environment, if you have convinced your cartoon self that you are visually tracking all the red opponents that don't have the "HERE I AM COME SHOOT ME" banner tagging along with them, well, you've sure missed a lot.  But, by all means keep thinking that way.    
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:44:05 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
lol     did you not read were I stated in the AvA its a bit differant????   I guess your reading skills are not so hot...........lol  dee da dee

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
lol     did you not read were I stated in the AvA its a bit differant????   I guess your reading skills are not so hot...........lol  dee da dee

Let's see now...reading skills.  We are in the AvA forum and most of us are discussing AvA issues.  There is a reason I chose to comment in this forum vs the others and thus made my "Lose sight, lose fight" comment.  Now it seems some of the other guys were able to use their reading skills and understand exactly what I said and meant. It appears you are the one with reading skills problems. We'll discuss your ability to focus on the matter at hand at a later time.

Now read this...we are in the AvA forum.  I don't care about how you or anyone else flies in the other arenas (or as a matter of fact, this one either).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:38:16 PM by Puma44 »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
Just let him tell you how good he is, agree with him and maybe he'll just go away.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
Just let him tell you how good he is, agree with him and maybe he'll just go away.

Yeah, Bug, it's apparent that he is the best cartoon ace in the game.   :salute

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
He's as good as any of you.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
 :headscratch:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »

actually, i'd think he'd be a good addition to the arena.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »
He's as good as any of you.

Yeah, he told us.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »
actually, i'd think he'd be a good addition to the arena.  :aok

How's that, Cap?  It seems counter productive to encourage pointless antagonism.   :salute
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:04:30 PM by Puma44 »