Author Topic: A first rate education  (Read 649 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: A first rate education
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
I have to question the quality of my sons school when I get a gmail from him this morning.

Literal words the first period teacher told us: "Get out your computers and look like you are doing something."

Way to go teach  :rolleyes:

In Colorado, that teacher would not last a semester with the new state laws. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »
Dicho - The Texas Educatin' Agency doesn't actually have any certified teachers. It has dentists and lawyers, both very evil.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »
my humanities teacher = Tree hugging humanitarian

my english teacher = Conservative disciplinarian

my maths teacher = kind considerate guy who is not to be ffed with

my PE teacher = Legend, nuff said

my science teacher = man who must perish in the depths of helll

that sums up my school  :bhead
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »
I live in KY and I've never had a horrible teacher, I have had ones that don't teach very well (maybe one every other year) but all of the rest of them are excellent teachers.

They say we're uneducated hicks.  :rolleyes:

But they taught you that the earth started 6 thousand years ago and man lived along side t-rex....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40445249/ns/us_news-life

so its no wonder why...
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/25/science.student.assessment/index.html?eref=rss_us&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_us+(RSS:+U.S.)
Only 20% of high school seniors can handle material that is grade appropriate in science
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 02:28:40 AM »
Used to go to high school in new york, education sucked!
I don't even remember studying for tests, it was all common sense.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 02:43:43 AM »
Went to school in California... Then went to university in Oregon... I was surprised that after hearing how bad California schools were, I could breeze through the first 2 years of university and write better than many of my classmates who went to Oregon schools (which took pride in being better than schools in CA) :headscratch:.

Point being, it varies drastically between schools regardless of state.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 04:20:07 AM »
Went to school in California... Then went to university in Oregon... I was surprised that after hearing how bad California schools were, I could breeze through the first 2 years of university and write better than many of my classmates who went to Oregon schools (which took pride in being better than schools in CA) :headscratch:.

Point being, it varies drastically between schools regardless of state.

Fun Fact: California may have very low testing scores, but the golden state also has the highest standards if I recall.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:10 AM »
went to private school, private uni, and i teach at a private uni. . . the quality of student from public schools is terribad and they have to work a lot harder if they are going to pass my class.

lesson - send your kid to private school if you can afford it.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
But they taught you that the earth started 6 thousand years ago and man lived along side t-rex....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40445249/ns/us_news-life

No, this is some sort of topic that I will not discuss as it will get the thread started down the wrong path and also get me ejected from the board for a week.

The link you posted is not an example of schooling, it is "let's put some stuff out here and see who bites."
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
I have to question the quality of my sons school when I get a gmail from him this morning.

Literal words the first period teacher told us: "Get out your computers and look like you are doing something."

i'd be making some phone calls. not very nice ones either.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
I would but I have a potential real life major league furball coming in the near future and need to focus on that.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »

You probabley don't even want to know how many times a week a teacher would instruct us to do this while I was receiving my quality education in the 90s from LAUSD... except we didn't have computers, over half our classes didn't have any books issued on the subject, any most kids never had any casual reading material with them (and most that did had magazines not condoned by the administrators).  My personal favorite experience was my senior year TA assignment, was with a teacher I was cool with (he'd send me out with a pass to get stuff from his car for him, including his cigarettes (this was more for security, leave your smokes somewhere visible in your car inside the teachers parking lot and chances were good someone would break into their cars just for the smokes before noon time, especialy if the students knew you smoked they would checkout those cars often), or over to the starbucks for some coffee routinely) for first period and I'd come into school late most mornings with no penalty... unless he was impatiently waiting for me to get there so I could go grab him his latte, asap.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.