Author Topic: my Trackir so far  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: my Trackir so far
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
CAP,

Track IR set up Tips.
I find in the AH Options>preferences>View menu, uncheck everything EXCEPT "TrackIr object relative move". Selecting this  helps with looking backwards. How? because it reverses the action of the fore-aft, and side-to-side axes when your virtual head is looking backwards.

Without the box checked: you turn to look behind you and if the seat is too close,  you move your [real] head [towards the monitor] and your virtual head gets closer to the seat cushion.
With the Box Check: you turn to look behind you and if the seat is too close, you move your [real] head [towards the monitor] and your virtual head gets closer to the gun sight, Farther from the back of the seat. I find this more intuitive because your brain thinks it needs to move away from the back of you chair to move away from the back of your virtual seat in the game.

Other tipsTips :

Camera seees like a cone that gets wide the farther you get away from it. Have to camera at least an arms length away from you head. This will prevent the "flips upside down" which occurs because one of the LED (or reflectors) moves out of the cone of view. The closer you are the camera, the less room you have to move your head before you leave the camera field of view.

Symetry is not always best when setting up the scaling of the TRackIR axies. For vertical axis head movement, I have "up"or 'positive side of the curve set fairly steeply, but unchecking the 'Mirror' box [in the TrackIR software] and setting the down much flatter will prevent your view from sinking into the dash board as you move forward in the cockpit. This is key when deflection shooting because you want to move toward the gunsight, and up to see as far over the front of the plane as possible, and off to one side. Setting the negative or"down" curve to be very flat prevents the artificial downward movement that can be caused by the geometry of the camera being higher than the LEDs [or clips].  If you make it too flat, you may have trouble looking low enough to see all of your gauges, so leave enough to do that comfortably. 

Who is John Galt?

Offline Chugamug

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
how do i set it so i can have the views i'm looking for, without moving so fast?

Try the F7 key to slow it down., this works for me, but I don't remember off hand if this requires a check box, or other software setting, and I'm at work now and can't double check it.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
Cap,

I am glad you are working through it!  I love my TIR3 and would be lost without it.  I personally do not use the "Pause" TIR function.  What I do use is the "RECENTER" button that is mapped to a throttle button.  When in Mode 2 for GVs and in Mode 3 for Buffs, I also have a hat switch on the CH Fighterstick to turn off tracker and turn on tracker. 

This way when flying around in a buff formation I can use it to scan but can click that badboy off when in the gunner positions.  Dhyran has a nice profile that I modified ever so slightly and am pretty happy with it.

I am using the metal hat clip as they did not have the proclip when I purchased this years ago.

Best of luck and if you see me online "TG12" you can ask me for help on it if you'd like :)

Cheers,

TG12

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
thanks guys.

although i found it more difficult to fly last night, i can also tell that once i got it set up right, and i get comfortable with it, it will be more than worth the effort.

fear the green peeeeee38 when i figure this thing out.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
only thing great for a 38 is a few well placed cannon rounds  :neener:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
I use the hat switch and think if I went with this is would screw me all up,so I never bothered, reconsidering now.....

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »
No Ink do NOT get one.

It will take MONTHS to get used to, several more to get truly comfortable, and when you slip into my chosen sandbox I won't be able to sneak up underneath your low six and donate some lead to your plane  :devil

Horrible idea... you should stay away from the trackir ;)

:lol
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
hehe

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
I use the hat switch and think if I went with this is would screw me all up,so I never bothered, reconsidering now.....

ink. i was at best average in the p-38. right now, i totally suck in it again. it's only because i need to tweak this thing more. i can already tell it's gonna be well worth taking a few steps back.
 the key is to be able to laugh at yourself when you do stupid crap.........which i do a LOT. if you got the money, take the dive.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
Well if you want to try it before you buy it, you can try FaceTrack. It's free software that uses a regular USB video camera to track your face movements. The software turns it into head movement and gives that to the game. I Downloaded the software and set it up using an old Microsoft "Life Cam".

So far it's made me want to puke so I think I have to motion movements down pretty good.  :P I'm going to spend some more time messing with the settings and curves and see how good I can get it. I'll keep ya'll posted. 

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
i was warned to have a barf bag handy.....but i've never had any sort of motion sickness.....still not.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
well there is such a thing as 'hope'  :t

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
i was warned to have a barf bag handy.....but i've never had any sort of motion sickness.....still not.

I never did either.

My neck was sore for a bit at first though...
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
I never did either.

My neck was sore for a bit at first though...

that is something i'm having a little problem with.

i dunno what...but i did something to my back/shoulder, right around the "mr spock" spot. not good. my shoulder feels like it's on fire by the time it's time for bed.....and moving the way i need to hurts a little.......but i NEED to fly.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Cap, check your PM.  If it works for you, pay attention to the hotkeys I have set for pause/un-pause and recenter.  It works for me because I use my throttle-hand to hit those keys for my TIR.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals