Author Topic: Stick Stir  (Read 2180 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Stick Stir
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
 German planes are best for stick stir, and flying at 25k waiting for the vultch :joystick:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »

Since in real life,if you did not blackout from these manuvers you would surely be quite sick to your stomach and probably hurl.  IRL I believe these "manuvers" would be debilating.  I know that would be difficult to code but maybe, just a suggestion here, it could be treated as a pilot wound currently is.  Vomit covering the canopy screen and since this would weaken you they could code that as only haveing half of the force on the controls.

:rofl
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »
I think what we're seeing is the attitude prediction system having a fit when people change their vectors too much.  Perhaps if the game updated positions more often it would help (but would also require more bandwidth).
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »
Spit VIII vs F4F-4:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1q7smu0tmuhh4z7

(1:11)   I would call this stick stirring or maybe just flopping.  :lol
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 07:12:18 PM »
Spit VIII vs F4F-4:

(1:11)   I would call this stick stirring or maybe just flopping.  :lol

What he did is called a torque roll, he stalled his wings and used full engine power to rotate the aircraft. The problem was he did not do the complete maneuver and his stall limiter was on, therefore he got shot down.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:17:11 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 07:14:21 PM »
'tall limiter'?  :headscratch:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
'tall limiter'?  :headscratch:

fixed, it was supposed to be stall limiter.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »
Unrealistic moves, lets see. Unlimited high-G maneuvers with no effects on your body, red-out to black-out with no ill effects on mental thought, ability to pull the stick through full limits with 0 effort or tiring of muscles; thus no muscle strain or fatigue, ability to fly hours through multiple engagements without burning a calorie or feeling spent when the new nme shows up who is not tired or drained. Ability to get out of the chair and scretch, lack of collar burn from scanning the skies for hours, flying with vertigo from ear infections and the pain of bladder infections from lack of facilities in flight. Mental fatigue from seeing buddy after buddy die a fiery death and the emotions that fill your mind every flight thereafter.
  Yep, this game is strife with unrealistic maneuvers but it is in the end.....a game and therefore by definition.....unrealistic.
Yea, simply because I can

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
Unrealistic moves, lets see. Unlimited high-G maneuvers with no effects on your body, red-out to black-out with no ill effects on mental thought, ability to pull the stick through full limits with 0 effort or tiring of muscles; thus no muscle strain or fatigue, ability to fly hours through multiple engagements without burning a calorie or feeling spent when the new nme shows up who is not tired or drained. Ability to get out of the chair and scretch, lack of collar burn from scanning the skies for hours, flying with vertigo from ear infections and the pain of bladder infections from lack of facilities in flight. Mental fatigue from seeing buddy after buddy die a fiery death and the emotions that fill your mind every flight thereafter.
  Yep, this game is strife with unrealistic maneuvers but it is in the end.....a game and therefore by definition.....unrealistic.

Everything you listed may be realistic, but impossible to simulate.

What is being requested could potentially be simulated and fixed to make it more realistic.  I see no reason that it shouldn't be pursued.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »

WHAT?  :confused:
Ok lets brake this down:

Unlimited high-G maneuvers

They seem limited to me. I know the video does not show any instruments but the max I'd say he pulled is 3Gs, maybe 4, that is not a problem for a trained pilot.

high-G maneuvers with no effects on your body, red-out to black-out

There are not shown in the recording.

no ill effects on mental thought

Why should Gs effect mental though? As long as your not blacking out completely you'll be fine. (I don't know this for 100% because I'm not a doctor and when your pulling Gs you don't really know how well your thinking)

ability to pull the stick through full limits with 0 effort or tiring of muscles;

What makes you think he is using the full motion of the controls?

no muscle strain or fatigue, ability to fly hours through multiple engagements without burning a calorie or feeling spent when the new nme shows up who is not tired or drained. Ability to get out of the chair and scretch, lack of collar burn from scanning the skies for hours, flying with vertigo from ear infections and the pain of bladder infections from lack of facilities in flight.
An average flight in AH is about 40min, most of which is cruising. 40min really does not seem like a problem.

Mental fatigue from seeing buddy after buddy die a fiery death and the emotions that fill your mind every flight thereafter.

Well I never seen anyone go down in flight so I can not answer answer this based on experience, and emotions are generally different for all people. My general rule is if you bring your emotions into the cockpit there is a high chance you will not survive. Ofcource were all human and we can't just act like a machine, but you can't be siting in that cockpit concentrated on what just happens.

Also don't forget that it's a simulator, you can't model everything. Well you can (everything but Gs), but it would be really expensive and I'm sure most of the people here do not want to pay millions of dollars for a level D simulator.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:53:44 AM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
What? :headscratch:
The game,,,the game..think bigger,,,the game.

Unlimited High=G,,,in the "game" a "gamer" can pull unlimited G's, ie. over and over, and over, with no ill effects on the body. Try that in real life, in WWII, and see if you still sit in your chair without any redution in physical ability.

Try red-out to blackout in real life, over and over, and see if your brain still functions normally during the fight.

Pull stick through full limits. Read Gallands book, he describes in a section the agonizing effects on the muscles after a mere 2-3 minutes of trying to pull the stick against the forces and the mere fact that the more fit person has a better chance of survival. In game, 20-30 minutes of pulling our "joystick" has zero effects on our muscles except maybe a minor cramp. Maybe for you 40 minutes is really no problem but historically the pilots who describe the actual effects tell a much different stor

You can't continue the fight without reflection of the past. After 3 1/2 years of combat I can attest to that. I can only imagine what pilots of those days went through emotionally. If you have the ability to completely void yourself of the realities of combat while in the cockpit more power to you. But I digress to the written words of the greats like Galland, Johnson, Boyd, etc. They, as great as they were, often could not.

Yea, simply because I can

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
What? :headscratch:
The game,,,the game..think bigger,,,the game.

Unlimited High=G,,,in the "game" a "gamer" can pull unlimited G's, ie. over and over, and over, with no ill effects on the body. Try that in real life, in WWII, and see if you still sit in your chair without any redution in physical ability.

Try red-out to blackout in real life, over and over, and see if your brain still functions normally during the fight.

Pull stick through full limits. Read Gallands book, he describes in a section the agonizing effects on the muscles after a mere 2-3 minutes of trying to pull the stick against the forces and the mere fact that the more fit person has a better chance of survival. In game, 20-30 minutes of pulling our "joystick" has zero effects on our muscles except maybe a minor cramp. Maybe for you 40 minutes is really no problem but historically the pilots who describe the actual effects tell a much different stor

You can't continue the fight without reflection of the past. After 3 1/2 years of combat I can attest to that. I can only imagine what pilots of those days went through emotionally. If you have the ability to completely void yourself of the realities of combat while in the cockpit more power to you. But I digress to the written words of the greats like Galland, Johnson, Boyd, etc. They, as great as they were, often could not.

No you can not pull unlimited Gs, the AH will not allow you. You will either backout, lose your wings, or the airplane will just be in a continues turn.
Why would you be pulling negative Gs all the time? Thous hurt. The proper procedure it to turn inverted and pull.
Dogfights rarely last 2-3 minutes (as you said), usually it's a lot less.

You said in the game you pull your still for 20-30min? You must really be doing a lot of circling. Why?

As I said I can only speak about emotions based on my experience, and I do not have combat experience. However I never heard thous aces that you mention speak of emotional problems.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
fixed, it was supposed to be stall limiter.

joking Mach :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
Spit VIII vs F4F-4:

(1:11)   I would call this stick stirring or maybe just flopping.  :lol

nothing wrong there at all.

next ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli