Author Topic: Bomber pilots/squads, would you be interested in this?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Bomber pilots/squads, would you be interested in this?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
If we run on BoB there aren't any airspawns.

This is where I am leaning now. 

Removing drop tank restrictions, keeping 2.0 fuel burn. Enabling allied planes right on their coast. Luftwaffe one sector in from their coast. At least one target town to be 3 sectors inland.

Keeping an alt cap but raising it to 20K.

Leaving town down percentage to 50% and enabling only 250lb bomb load, I figure it will take 3 formations to white flag a town in one pass. Auto calibration.

Not concerned with Luftwaffe air to air rockets so they can be enabled, I just don't want it to turn into an allied jabot fest, so disable ords for allied fighters.

Possibilities:

As Babalonian suggested, set some wind layers between 16 and 20k to hamper bombing accuracy a little and encourage lower level flight.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »
If we run on BoB there aren't any airspawns.

This is where I am leaning now. 

Removing drop tank restrictions, keeping 2.0 fuel burn. Enabling allied planes right on their coast. Luftwaffe one sector in from their coast. At least one target town to be 3 sectors inland.

Keeping an alt cap but raising it to 20K.

Leaving town down percentage to 50% and enabling only 250lb bomb load, I figure it will take 3 formations to white flag a town in one pass. Auto calibration.

Not concerned with Luftwaffe air to air rockets so they can be enabled, I just don't want it to turn into an allied jabot fest, so disable ords for allied fighters.

Possibilities:

As Babalonian suggested, set some wind layers between 16 and 20k to hamper bombing accuracy a little and encourage lower level flight.

Ahhh, my mistake, thought you said the BoG map, not the BoB...  hopefuly understandable.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
 :aok +1
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Ahhh, my mistake, thought you said the BoG map, not the BoB...  hopefuly understandable.

The Germany map is also a possibility in which case we would eliminate Alt caps and enable airstarts for each side. Allies would probably spawn over the sea.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:17 AM »
16k nope.......250lbs bombs nope. Maybe 20-25k and 500lbs bombs, otherwise nothing but turkey shoot for fighters. :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
Ah good, another bomber pilot weighs in.

Ok, but if it's 500 pounders will a single formation be able to white flag a town in one pass? I want it to take at least a couple and remember there will be extended down times for the town buildings.

If everyone has to climb out to 25k no one's gonna come in to play.

So we could move it to the Germany map with air starts for both sides and no alt cap. Will that work better or will the fighters still have a turkey shoot?

If we enable air starts just for the Allies, no one is going to fly Axis.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:39:50 AM by jimson »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
JUST remember, i think most "hi alt" bomber runs were only 20 to 23k. the really high ones were 26k or so.......i think
16k nope.......250lbs bombs nope. Maybe 20-25k and 500lbs bombs, otherwise nothing but turkey shoot for fighters. :salute
16K for B17s is insanely low. Like both of u said, hi altitude runs were 20-23k. Remember CAP, the 20th and the 91st etc have been doing this for a while and we'd like to live :D For AvA High Alt raids, screw the hard cap. But the medium alt raids have promise... but you need to allow a little leeway for alt instead of 16k hardcap also...
Ah good, another bomber pilot weighs in.

Ok, but if it's 500 pounders will a single formation be able to white flag a town in one pass? I want it to take at least a couple and remember there will be extended down times for the town buildings.

If everyone has to climb out to 25k no one's gonna come in to play.

So we could move it to the Germany map with air starts for both sides and no alt cap. Will that work better or will the fighters still have a turkey shoot?

If we enable air starts just for the Allies, no one is going to fly Axis.
I know that the Allied bombers will be patient enough to climb to 25k and so will most of the fighters. Axis can do the same. Use the BoG map and runway starts. Disable the air spawns
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy