Author Topic: "Like" button similar to Facebook comme  (Read 801 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
"Like" button similar to Facebook comme
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
At the risk of having three threads in the wishlist at the same time, I would like to have this feature on the forums. It seems it would lead to less clutter. I know there are many great comments that I would like to acknowledge but think I post too much already. This would allow many to weigh in without clutter and show support for strong ideas.

So how do we get the AH staff to add this feature? Or is this another bad idea, right up there with my P-61?

Warmest,
Boo
 :salute
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: "Like" button similar to Facebook comme
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:16:29 PM »
No thanks. You'd get a well informed and educated post from Guppy about Spit12s go with 1 thank, but the "QUAHOMGWTFBBQNONUKES!!!!11!!11eleven!!!" get 20,000 "likes" .....

Hell, too many folks with shades as-is. They'd create shades to give themselves "likes" on the forum, thinking it actually means something.

Look at all the post-padding currently. Hell I recall one guy got banned from the forums some years back for holding a conversation about himself and replying to himself (2 different BBS IDs) and thanking himself for being such a helpful and standup guy to the community. I believe Skuzzy checked the IPs and then banned him.

What you ask would, IMO, just feed the negative aspects of this "community" -- oh and I detest facebook but also in general do not think we should use that as our ideal online community.

Offline canacka

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »

Look at all the post-padding currently.

I usually agree with a lot you say bro, you are a squaddie and I got your back!  But this statement, and considering your post count.......... :bolt:
71 Squadron RAF

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
Stupid forums spazzing out... again...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:04:07 PM by Krusty »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Stupid forums spazzing out... again....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:04:22 PM by Krusty »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »
I'll only defend myself by saying all my posts are legit. I don't post in the O'club, and I don't post in those run-on "add a post with 2 words" games 50,000 times like some others do.

I'm not proud of whatever the number of my posts is, I'm just slightly proud that each one was made without ever caring about my post count.

We have a certain rash of "newer" forum members that think post count means something, and as such post repeatedly random stuff just for the sake of padding their count. Some even admitted it.

P.S. you better run!  :devil

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:20:14 AM »
Lol I was reading a forum about some game a while back, and a couple people were bickering endlessly about something inconsequential.

The administrator told them that if they posted on that thread again, he'd reset their post counts.

That was the end of that thread... :lol
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:11 AM »
"like" got all used up in the 80's.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »
"Like" "reputation" "Karma" is about like post count, pretty much worthless.

Best system of all I've ever seen is at World of Tanks where you can +1 (agree) with someones post, or -1 (disagree)

It doesn't get used a lot, but you can quickly tell the newb's and posers from the guys who know their stuff with it.
It actually lowers post count, as you can agree or disagree without having to post.

That being said, other than that feature I really don't care for their board layout. AH's is much simpler, easier to navigate.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
"Like" "reputation" "Karma" is about like post count, pretty much worthless.

Best system of all I've ever seen is at World of Tanks where you can +1 (agree) with someones post, or -1 (disagree)

It doesn't get used a lot, but you can quickly tell the newb's and posers from the guys who know their stuff with it.
It actually lowers post count, as you can agree or disagree without having to post.

That being said, other than that feature I really don't care for their board layout. AH's is much simpler, easier to navigate.

now that would be a cool idea.  would get rid of  1/2 the posts (like the one, i have now) for people that just support the idea.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »
now that would be a cool idea.  would get rid of  1/2 the posts (like the one, i have now) for people that just support the idea.

semp

I believe that is the concept of the like button, as it were.  I agree though that the +1 -1 option is a better function.  It would also knock out some of the useless (-1) posts, or even those with language that just reiterates that which has been stated. 

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
I agree with the +1 or -1.

I had no idea that some obsessed with the number of times they post comments. Interesting protocol seems to be developing before my eyes, I took the forums to be more of a friendly conversation board amongst enthusiasts. I first registered with AH about two years ago but really didn't pay attention to the forums until a few months back. It's almost like Lord of the Flies on here. So where do I buy the way paint before we get Piggie?

Boo
 :cheers:
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

Strokes

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
Strokes relationship status went from in a relationship to single <3

Like :P