Author Topic: Youtube has gone to hell...  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Youtube has gone to hell...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
Ahh, I understand!  I guess you could create an additional Gmail email accnt. just for them.  But I do agree, they've become very intrusive and obnoxious with their ads.   :bhead

You cannot create a new GMail account without supplying them with your phone number, so they can text you the activation code. That's far too much an invasion of privacy for my tastes. Soon they're going to need a credit card number and a bank account -- not to take anything out, no, just to "validate" your age and residence....

:rolleyes:

It's going in a bad direction.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »
Krusty not that I doubt you but since when?  I made one two weeks ago without supplying a phone number
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »
I tried a couple this past week.

Note, however, that the youtube problems only popped up in the past 2-3 weeks as well. I would hazard a guess they're tied to each other (since both services are owned by the same info-stealing company)

EDIT: To clarify: They ask for the phone number. The credit card info is a pessimistic prediction of future events to come.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
About 2 weeks ago Youtube changed their policy or some crap like that where you have to link your youtube to an email. I went through the same thing Krusty went though, when I logged in I had to link the account or log off. Of course I tried to link my yahoo account which didn't work, and I don't own a gmail account. So right now I just surf youtube without an account, but I can understand Krusty's problem as he actually has videos to care for.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
Must have been very recent then.  Sorry to hear it.  Like I said I just upload them to my photobucket account and it works just fine.  Or if you've got a friend with server space you might be able to get them to host your vids. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
Just roll your face over the keyboard when they ask for personal info. :D

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »
Linking an e-mail to Youtube isn't needed, there is a "Skip for now (we'll remind you again later)" button at the bottom you can click.  I haven't seen it warn me since I signed in (stay logged in), and haven't had any issues.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »
Maybe you don't have anything uploaded? Mine says I cannot continue without linking my account. It says there is no option, I must link it "for enhanced security reasons"....

Stupid google people...   :bhead

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
I have a single video uploaded, maybe I just don't upload enough for it to care about me. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
gee Krusty I've got a ton of 'throwaway' email accounts even a gmail one or two if you need one.  PM me

I'd still go the photobucket or server route though. 

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »
Yeah, seems that Youtube went mainstream and sold themselves out to advertising and the such.
I think I linked my old AOL e-mail, haven't had any problems signing in after that.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
I think YouTube went mainstream about 5 years ago.  :lol  Ads are nothing new on the internet, especially on a free site.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:34 AM »
Not to mention that much of the content is blocked for countries outside the US. Most of the films posted in this forum cannot be viewed in Germany because Sony/UMG/WTF own the soundtrack.

Do not post on youtube.

It's no better for Americans either. I have over 1,000 videos favorited. Over half of them are music videos or related to music. Went through my favorites list a few weeks ago, and amazingly it only took me 30 minutes to watch all the videos since nearly everyone has been blocked/removed/or audioswapped. Even some bands from America are blocked! Some of my all time favorite songs I can no longer listen to unless I can find the album to purchase, but most every band I like is nearly impossible to find in America.

It almost feels liek YouTube is trying to control the music industry (American Music nowdays is terrible, but the Europeans still know what music really is)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »
It's no better for Americans either. I have over 1,000 videos favorited. Over half of them are music videos or related to music. Went through my favorites list a few weeks ago, and amazingly it only took me 30 minutes to watch all the videos since nearly everyone has been blocked/removed/or audioswapped. Even some bands from America are blocked! Some of my all time favorite songs I can no longer listen to unless I can find the album to purchase, but most every band I like is nearly impossible to find in America.

It almost feels liek YouTube is trying to control the music industry (American Music nowdays is terrible, but the Europeans still know what music really is)

It isn't so much Youtube trying to control the music industry, as it is greedy record labels
afraid people will be able to hear music for free, gasp!

Latrobe, if you have an iTunes account, search for Hole in the Sky by Delmag. Americans
can still make music, it's just garbage that's become the mainstream. There are tons and
tons of hidden gems in American music, the tricky part is finding those gems sadly enough.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 04:10:05 AM »
Linking an e-mail to Youtube isn't needed, there is a "Skip for now (we'll remind you again later)" button at the bottom you can click.  I haven't seen it warn me since I signed in (stay logged in), and haven't had any issues.

I used to have that, and always hit 'skip for now', but just a week or two ago that option was gone, and they had a note saying that you now had to link them.  I was like 'wtf' and did it anyway...
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ