Author Topic: Tank Commander's Binocular View  (Read 697 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Tank Commander's Binocular View
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
I'm seeing some moans-n-groans regarding the tank commanders view and the ease of firing the main gun vs aircraft and other gv's (and I echo that concern).  Here is my wish/suggestion to correct that issue:

A: Remove the TC reticule.  Let there be a margin of error, the TC and the gunner are not going to be exact in their coordination of the turret movement and position anyways.  Let that be simulated right here in AH as well.  Since the mouse pointer is gone while in game, players cant "game the game" anymore with the cursor.  Remove the sight ability for the TC.

OR... 

B: Give the TC a historically accurate binocular view complete with the binocular silhouette outline and FoV, but still no ability to fire.  Then, implement a time delay from the TC view to the gunner view similar to what was in Red Orchestra and the buttoned/unbuttoned views.

The main point is to not allow any firing from the TC's position, but yet allow the TC view to facilitate the gunner function in gv target loaction.       
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
Re: Tank Commander's Binocular View
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
I'm seeing some moans-n-groans regarding the tank commanders view and the ease of firing the main gun vs aircraft and other gv's (and I echo that concern).  Here is my wish/suggestion to correct that issue:

A: Remove the TC reticule.  Let there be a margin of error, the TC and the gunner are not going to be exact in their coordination of the turret movement and position anyways.  Let that be simulated right here in AH as well.  Since the mouse pointer is gone while in game, players cant "game the game" anymore with the cursor.  Remove the sight ability for the TC.

OR...  

B: Give the TC a historically accurate binocular view complete with the binocular silhouette outline and FoV, but still no ability to fire.  Then, implement a time delay from the TC view to the gunner view similar to what was in Red Orchestra and the buttoned/unbuttoned views.

The main point is to not allow any firing from the TC's position, but yet allow the TC view to facilitate the gunner function in gv target loaction.      

i suggested that but as usual the "Know it Alls" think realism kills the game.

although i like this idea 150% and would give more to the GVer.
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War" Julius Caesar

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »

i suggested that but as usual the "Know it Alls" think realism kills the game.

although i like this idea 150% and would give more to the GVer.

I will argue all day long long that in WWII the TC did not know eactly where the main gun was pointing, he may have had a very close idea but to pin point it like the current TC reticule does in AH... no way.  The TC may have been looking at 260 degrees (or -100 degrees) and the gunner may have had the turret at "10 O'Clock" and all would have been well.  In AH, it is too easy to bounce from TC to gunner, and back.  A time delay and/or the afor mentioned restrictions would cure it.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BuckP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »
I have never looked through bino's and actually seen those rounded edges..... :headscratch:

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
I have never looked through bino's and actually seen those rounded edges..... :headscratch:

Because it does not ever look like that (except on TV)
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
I will argue all day long long that in WWII the TC did not know eactly where the main gun was pointing, he may have had a very close idea but to pin point it like the current TC reticule does in AH... no way.  The TC may have been looking at 260 degrees (or -100 degrees) and the gunner may have had the turret at "10 O'Clock" and all would have been well.  In AH, it is too easy to bounce from TC to gunner, and back.  A time delay and/or the afor mentioned restrictions would cure it.

wasn't the tank commander 'fixed' to the turret? He rotated with it and stood on something that rotated with it. As such wasn't he always facing where the turret was, unless he twisted his body?

Argue away.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
I will argue all day long long that in WWII the TC did not know eactly where the main gun was pointing, he may have had a very close idea but to pin point it like the current TC reticule does in AH... no way. 

If you are referring to the "vertical" aspect/slew of the gun, I would agree ... as far as the "horizontal" aspect/slew, I wouldn't agree.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »

While this may be the case, the gunner would know exactly what he is pointed at at the very same time (I.E. no delay) the commander is looking at the target or anything else.

2nd your taking the view point that the gunner is just doing what he wishes and the commander would see what he is doing, vs what AH is really doing is simply the commander telling the gunner where to aim, in which case the commander would know where he is aiming.

The gunner is still far more accurate the the commander sights are.

HiTech

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »
I wouldnt say it  was  pin point think about  pointing  out something to  someone that was  standing behind  and  slightly higher than you basically looking over your shoulder,  I think you  could guide the  pointer pretty well from high and behind  right? Im pretty sure  a TC would have  a damn good Idea where  his  main gun is pointing and  could guide the gunner to a target  pretty easily.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »
I'm sold... at first I didn't know how I would like the commander's position, but I think it's a great compromise between reality vs. gaming.  I'm not a fan of using my mouse but I'm glad to see you can still aim with the stick.

The only thing I hate is the WASD.  I don't mind it existing and actually encourage it to entice people to come play without having to buy expensive HOTAS equipment, BUT I'd like to see the ability to steer with an analog axis returned like it was before (i.e. using Rudder pedals to turn while not in the driver's seat).  I don't see why both methods can't coexist.  I think those of us who do invest in the equipment should be able to use it natively, and I don't feel that programming these commands to a hat switch is an acceptable compromise in that regard.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
While this may be the case, the gunner would know exactly what he is pointed at at the very same time (I.E. no delay) the commander is looking at the target or anything else.

2nd your taking the view point that the gunner is just doing what he wishes and the commander would see what he is doing, vs what AH is really doing is simply the commander telling the gunner where to aim, in which case the commander would know where he is aiming.

The gunner is still far more accurate the the commander sights are.

HiTech

I've understood and vouched for the changes since Pyro's video came out that the gunner is simply following the commands of teh TC.  I think linking the two is a great idea and I fully support it.

Im just hoping that the TC's gunsight and/or ability to fire from teh TC position does not lend to AH's version of Duck Hunter.