Author Topic: A6M3  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: A6M3
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
Dug through what I have on it (Robert Mikesh) and it would appear that the A6M3 Model 32 had the best power-weight ratio of any of the Zero series. Climb to 19,690 feet in only 18 sec slower than the A6M5 does. 7 min 19 sec to 7 min 1 second. The A6M5 climbed faster due to the gain from the ejector stack thrust.

VS A6M2:

More ammo.

Better roll rate.

Higher service ceiling.

Faster climb.

Faster? yes, @ 7mph. Not a huge gain but its still faster.

It wasn't what the IJ pilots wanted because it was not the "better" plane they were promised vise a vie the opposition but thats not saying it was not an improvement over the A6M2 series as a weapon of war.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:40:24 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 01:46:24 PM »
Spitfire Mk XVI and Spitfire Mk VIII have the exact same engine in AH, Merlin 66, and thus the same horsepower.  The A6M2 and A6M3 do not have the same engine and do not produce the same horsepower.  The A6M3 has a mere 19.39% more power than the A6M2, If I recall the Sakae 12's rated power correctly and using Wmaker's 190 horsepower.

As to speed, what is the difference at what altitude?  A Spitfire Mk IX isn't much faster than the Spitfire Mk V at sea level, but is about 40mph faster when looking at best alts for both.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
Karnak: I'm not saying the A6M2 and the A6M3 have the same engine. I'm saying that given nearly identical planes, one with clipped wings will have less climb rate. That's proved by our spitfires in-game. The wings do make a noticable impact.

Imperial Japanese pilots were less than thrilled with the model 32 type Zero because it climbed and turned marginally worse than the model21 it was replacing.

These 2 examples suggest a clipped wing zero would have no better (and possibly worse) climb rate when added down with hundreds of pounds of additional weight, clipped wings, and only a slight boost in power.

So you can see I'm not drawing a direct corrolary between the spits and the zekes. I'm using them as an perfect example of why the model 32 won't climb like a rocket, like some seem to be suggesting.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Of course it won't climb like a rocket.  It should, given the power difference, climb a bit better, but not as much better as just sticking a Sakae 21 on an A6M2's airframe would do.  No A6M is going to climb like a Bf109K-4 or Spitfire Mk XIV.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »
Dug through what I have on it (Robert Mikesh) and it would appear that the A6M3 Model 32 had the best power-weight ratio of any of the Zero series.

I came to an exactly same conclusion.

It wasn't what the IJ pilots wanted because it was not the "better" plane they were promised vise a vie the opposition but thats not saying it was not an improvement over the A6M2 series as a weapon of war.

I haven't read what Japanese pilots thought about the plane (nor have I seen any actual quotes posted here...lot of talk about them but no quotes...still waiting) but looking at the figures, but again I've come to the same conclusion again. "The dissapointment" that was behind the A6M3 was that the real plane didn't perform as well as the designers had calculated (Francillon).

Saying that the A6M3 was worst performer of the operational A6M series is complete nonsense.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
Don't know where Krusty has gotten his dislike of Japanese planes, or why he is making some of these things up. Does it have anything to do with being a radioactive member?

Bring on the Zeke three in all it's uberness. Krusty said it climbs like a rocket, dives like a geisha girl, and can out run and out range a pony.

See how silly it looks when you post something that is just not right?

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
Don't spout your BS on me hightone. I said none of those things, and if you bothered to read 1 post of mine in this thread before trolling a reply you'd notice I was taking the exact opposite stance.

As for time to climb, the A6M2 was reported making the same alt in 6 minutes and change.

Edit: Wait, I'd have to check again, might have been 16-17k range.. still, what I was looking up had the model 21 outclimbing the model32.

EDIT: Wmaker, I too read the comment "dissappointing comapred to predicted numbers" but also have read, specifically, pilots did not like that it climbed and turned marginally less than the plane it was replacing. You're thinking of a different reference than I am.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:02:08 PM by Krusty »

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
EDIT: Wmaker, I too read the comment "dissappointing comapred to predicted numbers" but also have read, specifically, pilots did not like that it climbed and turned marginally less than the plane it was replacing. You're thinking of a different reference than I am.

As I already asked on several occasions...when you claim something, post your sources.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
HighTone,

Unless a thread is about American or German aircraft, all Krusty ever posts is disparaging comments.  Either justifications for the unit in question to be mediocre (anything Russian or Japanese), or complaints that it is overmodeled (Spitfires) in AH, or reasons why a requested change won't make any difference (20mph speed gain on the Mosquito).
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 01:34:51 AM »
Karnak, one might look up the bulk of all the posts you've ever made and see mostly insults or attacks or snide comments. I don't think you're one to speak.

My comments are not disparaging. They're an attempt to moderate extreme optomism by certain people on certain subjects, to bring them back down to earth.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 02:47:06 AM »
Karnak: I'm not saying the A6M2 and the A6M3 have the same engine. I'm saying that given nearly identical planes, one with clipped wings will have less climb rate. That's proved by our spitfires in-game. The wings do make a noticable impact.

Did the graphs I just posted about the Spitfires mean nothing...? :confused:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 04:14:31 AM »
I've never once read a post from Karnak which had been directed to me in such tones.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:31:07 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2011, 05:07:26 AM »
My comments are not disparaging. They're an attempt to moderate extreme optomism by certain people on certain subjects, to bring them back down to earth.
There was never any extreme optimism in this thread.

EDIT:

Nobody got snippy with you until you starting making unsupported claims that not only would the A6M3 not be a massive improvement, which nobody claimed it would be, but that it would actually be worse than the A6M2.  Never mind the numbers, never mind the engine change.  It would just be worse because you said so.  You started attacking others for the perceived sin of excessive optimism.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:11:20 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
Been wanting the A6M3 for years and I still want it. Along with a couple of versions of the KI-43, I'd also love to see the Ki-44, J2M, D4Y and HE-111.
These would add some flavor to special events and the AVA. :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »

Extreme optimism?? From where. Folks on here were posting why they would like to see it. Yes we know, not as good as the Zeke 5, but better than the Zeke 2. That's all I have seen on here about it.

So you can see I'm not drawing a direct corrolary between the spits and the zekes. I'm using them as an perfect example of why the model 32 won't climb like a rocket, like some seem to be suggesting.

LOL, your funny. So wait.....it won't climb like a rocket? I would like to see the post where someone said it would.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC