Author Topic: Motherboard issue  (Read 739 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Motherboard issue
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:18:30 AM »
Got a question about shock and motherboards.  I had a PCI slot cover fall off and the motherboard made a zapping sound and the computer "turned off" (fans on but no video), then for about 10 minutes it wouldn't start back up in normal mode (safe would boot).  I finally got it to start after unplugging USB peripherals (not sure why that helped really, but at least the expensive stuff still works!) but my CPU sensor seems to be broken, CPU shows ~120C with cores at ~35C.  I was curious if there could be any real adverse side-effects of the shock that would show up later that would cost more if not fixed?
Aside from the broken sensor and the troubles starting afterwards everything seems to work fine, but I'd rather catch a problem now before it cost me a whole system.

Hard to see but this is an Everest display of the CPU Temp, BIOS also showed equal temps:

Actually I just noticed my 12V readings and other Voltages are missing, could that be bad?

Thanks for any help. :salute
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Motherboard issue
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
"...I had a PCI slot cover fall off and the motherboard made a zapping sound and the computer "turned off" ..."    :O

Sure sounds like *something* on the mobo shorted out... but as to what it might be...? 

Did you get any hardware diagnostic programs?  Does the maker have a diag download on his web site?

Good luck!   :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
if that is an unlocked processor, those readings will be faulty.
as long as you have reliable cooling on (fan+hsf) and you didnt tinker with BIOS voltages you should be fine.
look at your cpu/processor specifications for voltages and check the reading in the BIOS itself.

everest, etc. are really unreliable. their algorithms even for memory tests are defective.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
I can't seem to start the computer back up, so I've ordered a new Motherboard in hopes of that working.  Can't get into Windows, but BIOS works.

Skrib, I haven't unlocked my CPU, I have stock HS/fan, voltage is fine.

I checked BIOS before anything and got this (used Everest since BIOS doesn't have screenshot abilities):

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
isnt this your system?

Biostar A785GE AM2+/AM3
AMD Phenom II X2 555 ~3.7GHz
2GB Transcend DDR2-800MHz
EVGA GTX 260 896mb
OCZ StealthX 700Watt
WD 320GB HDD

looks like you have a minimal overclock.
but look at your voltages, did you set those?
max specs for that Phenom II is:

cpu v-core 1.4v maximum
cpu temps 70C

do you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Offline Doctahg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
Download realtemp, it's arguably the most accurate non sensor temp program out there.  None of the program ones are very accurate.
Those voltages are pretty high for the OC...haven't used an AMD in a couple years but.....I dont beleve you want to run that chip more than 1.5v.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:19:12 PM by Doctahg »
Pork! It's the other white meat...and it's AH's ONLY meat!!!!!!!!!!!
OINK!
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
Skrib, yes that is my system.  The OC is a 0.5 OC (through AMD AOD) with voltage at 1.3v (It got changed accidentally and I can't apply default so I put it below AMDs max to be safe (think it was ~1.2 when I bought it but not sure).  The BIOS was updated when I got the CPU.  As for downloading anything or updating BIOS again it can't be done as it is done through Windows with Biostar.

The reason I started this was the shock caused strange CPU temps and wacky voltage readings and I wasn't sure what could be dead/dieing/etc.  What you see isn't what I have it set at.  Heck look at the 5V rail reading!

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
i presume youve tried clearing the CMOS and it doesnt fix it..?
i dont believe that PCI-E falling on the board would kill it just like that.
i'v done worse things...

:lol

anyway, we can try blind flashing that.
let me read up on the manual first.

Offline Doctahg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 05:29:05 PM »
It would be really strange to just affect CPU temp..
Pork! It's the other white meat...and it's AH's ONLY meat!!!!!!!!!!!
OINK!
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
PG. 27 of the manual;

press F12 during BOOT and select drive where BIOS is stored.
hopefully that fixes the funky numbers on the monitors.

as for not being able to get into windows, might be a cable unplugged/power cord.
does it detect the HDD from the BIOS?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:57:56 PM by skribetm »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »
i presume youve tried clearing the CMOS and it doesnt fix it..?
i dont believe that PCI-E falling on the board would kill it just like that.
i'v done worse things...

:lol

anyway, we can try blind flashing that.
let me read up on the manual first.

Yes I cleared CMOS, no it didn't fix it.
The PCI slot Cover (metal plate) came loose and fell, likely when I bumped the case, and I heard a small zapping sound (as mentioned).  Also, as mentioned, it never "killed" the Motherboard, it just is causing weird readings, and boot issues.  The boot issues worry me since it was working perfectly up until the cover fell onto the board and I had not moved/unplugged anything (well I moved the metal cover) between it falling and starting it back up.

Yes it detects the HDD in BIOS, as I can occasionally boot to Safe Mode, and after several tries it loads Windows normally.  It crashes often when starting and is acting slow in Windows.  If I fried something besides the Motherboard I'll know in a few days...needed some new parts eventually but not like this.

Actually I just opened AMD OverDrive and noticed something...weird.  The Status Monitor is showing my CPU Multiplier jumping from 4 to 10.50 to 16 and Voltage jumping from .95 to 1.3. :confused:

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
if possible reset the AMD overdrive utility to default settings

and another question.... why is the 320 gig HD showing up on the "Secondary Master" and the CD-Rom showing up on the 4th Slave" in the boot up screen? is this how you had it originally set up?

the HD plugged into the 01 SATA port it looks like, but that 4th Slave is kind of weird looking for the CD-Rom....

you got any diagnostic software that will run from the CD Drive to test the system perhaps?

if you heard zapping as you said, that metal cover sounds like it grounded or shorted some circuits out on the MB, if this happened it could possibly end up causing problems to all the other PC components ... IE HD, RAM, vidcard, any PCI cards, CDrom , PSU .......

be careful trying to keep running it without finding out the damage
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 12:16:32 AM »
if possible reset the AMD overdrive utility to default settings

and another question.... why is the 320 gig HD showing up on the "Secondary Master" and the CD-Rom showing up on the 4th Slave" in the boot up screen? is this how you had it originally set up?

the HD plugged into the 01 SATA port it looks like, but that 4th Slave is kind of weird looking for the CD-Rom....

you got any diagnostic software that will run from the CD Drive to test the system perhaps?

if you heard zapping as you said, that metal cover sounds like it grounded or shorted some circuits out on the MB, if this happened it could possibly end up causing problems to all the other PC components ... IE HD, RAM, vidcard, any PCI cards, CDrom , PSU .......

be careful trying to keep running it without finding out the damage

The HDD is IDE and set as Secondary boot, but aside from that it's installed normally.  The DVD is SATA and I haven't a clue what port it's plugged into (no numbers of any sort).  Not sure if the screen showing that info has changed any since I normally don't use it (Long Testing startup).

i have no diagnostic software to run, so if anyone has something I'll try it but I don't want to keep this thing running too long at a time (on my second life of warranty with GPU and CPU is running out of warranty).  If the HDD fails I couldn't give a patootie since it's dieing as it is.  Hopefully nothing dies in the short time I have it on as I already just spend $150 replacing parts that are (hopefully) causing the issue. :)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »
No 12V reading and your 5V is now 6V. Obviously the comp has 12V if your HDDs are working but I wouldn't use that board anymore or risk damaging remaining functional components.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."