Author Topic: Noob wants to know why room limits...  (Read 1843 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Noob wants to know why room limits...
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »

I don't agree, when only one map is up the furballs and hords are terrible. If you try to go to a base where there is not furballing soon there are 15 others there trying to kill the one guy you are having a 1v1 with.
Nothing is more frustrating than a nice 1v1 that has been going on for a while and some jock comes in and takes the kill   :furious when he can see you are right on nmes tail. Not all but some will not even respect you asking
them to stay out. The big TT and OFF hours arena suck and have gone beyond their useful life imo.

And since when was the MA designated a 1 v 1 dueling arena?  Isnt that what the ummm dueling arena is supposed to be for?
On teh larger maps you see furballs going on in 3-4 locations. the rest is usually wide open. Even the hordes cant attack everything at once.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
Read closer.  Waystin ans the POTW will switch arenas for one squaddie.  Is the OP a Pig?

IIRC, Hitech's "ideal", non toxic, arena is 150-200 players.

His design seems to be working.

wrongway

I guess that depends on what your definition of "working" is.

I'll see 150-and sometimes 200 in blue. But I rarely see even half of that actually playing. Near as I can tell both from the posts here, what people I know do,and my own experiences is a great deal of those not flying in blue. Are bouncing back and forth trying to get into orange.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:29:11 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »

IIRC, Hitech's "ideal", non toxic, arena is 150-200 players.

His design seems to be working.

wrongway

non toxic arena is when there's no harassment or political, racial, sexual blah, blah, blah.  has nothing to do with numbers, you can have 10 guys in one arena and it will be toxic.  you remember late at night when the "911 was a set up"  (no comments about 911 please.)  discussion goes on an on for hours. that is a toxic arena and we had less than 100 players.

ideal non toxic arena would be:

1 play for fun
2 help the new guys, even if you have to hold their hands
3 who cares if the other player ho'd you. be happy you didnt
4 let the other guy that you vulched for the 20th time kill you.
5 stop vulching the guy that keeps on upping, he doesnt know any better and all you do is discourage him
6 skill is not about how many guys you kill, but how you fight.
7 let the weaker player kill you once in a while, it will encourage him to stick around.
8 tell the noob how to start the engine, again, for the 20th time and dont complain about it.
9 obey the damn rules about politics, religion, race.
10 dont tell the squeaker that he's annoying.
11 tease the other player but dont offend.  "hey silat you looking pretty" it's cool.  "hey silat your sheep is ugly" is not cool.
12 dont bring 40 of your closest friends to attack an undefended base, then quit at the slightest resistance.
13 salute the other player, not because you killed him but because of how he fought.

rules like that make a good arena, you can have 1000 players in them and it will be ok.  be an donut and the arena turns toxic with only 2 players.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:43 AM »
non toxic arena is when there's no harassment or political, racial, sexual blah, blah, blah.  has nothing to do with numbers, you can have 10 guys in one arena and it will be toxic.  you remember late at night when the "911 was a set up"  (no comments about 911 please.)  discussion goes on an on for hours. that is a toxic arena and we had less than 100 players.

ideal non toxic arena would be:

1 play for fun
2 help the new guys, even if you have to hold their hands
3 who cares if the other player ho'd you. be happy you didnt
4 let the other guy that you vulched for the 20th time kill you.
5 stop vulching the guy that keeps on upping, he doesnt know any better and all you do is discourage him
6 skill is not about how many guys you kill, but how you fight.
7 let the weaker player kill you once in a while, it will encourage him to stick around.
8 tell the noob how to start the engine, again, for the 20th time and dont complain about it.
9 obey the damn rules about politics, religion, race.
10 dont tell the squeaker that he's annoying.
11 tease the other player but dont offend.  "hey silat you looking pretty" it's cool.  "hey silat your sheep is ugly" is not cool.
12 dont bring 40 of your closest friends to attack an undefended base, then quit at the slightest resistance.
13 salute the other player, not because you killed him but because of how he fought.

rules like that make a good arena, you can have 1000 players in them and it will be ok.  be an donut and the arena turns toxic with only 2 players.

semp

Hell, I see alot of that darn near every night no matter the arena.

11 - But Silats sheep IS ugly though  ;)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
I appreciate that the "Pigs" will switch arenas for squadmates. With 50 members its a given that your going to log on and find a few of them flying together. I'd even go so far as to say its OK to hold a spot in Orange if it's your squad night, but other than that I'm all for an automatic boot line of code to clean out the "squatters".

In the old days you had 5% of the players that were Aholes and caused the toxic atmosphere. Even if you still only had 5% today it would still be 5 times the number of Aholes as the population has grown that much. The problem is that a lot more "kids" of all ages are playing now and in the tradition of "monkey see, Monkey do" you see many more acting like Aholes.

semp has a nice set of rules, I wish more would follow them.

11. Silat doesn't HAVE sheep, he has dogs, and well that pretty much says it all  :D

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »

11. Silat doesn't HAVE sheep, he has dogs, and well that pretty much says it all  :D

Oh. Must be Silat himself then

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline bullz

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 10:59:34 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol When i cant get into arena i want .my fav thing to do is sit there for 5 mins and watch all the players log in and back out  trying to get in an arena .. usually orange . if they would all just log into blue and recheck .. most of the time orange cap will spike up 100 people
''KISS MY HAVOC''   
 ''U.S.M.C RACING''

Check6..A20 on you

Offline Doctahg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
All I did was ask a simple question about something I did not understand it.  Now I understand it, and agree and disagree with it a little.  Yes the PIGS would fly with me anywhere but I would never ask 5 or 15 guys to leave what they were doing cause i can't log in to their arena...my squad had nothing to do with this.  I also didnt understand the VOX..now I do.  I also know how to play with the system to up the room numbers...defeats the purpose but it works i guess.  So to all the helpful comments thankyou all very much!  And to the sarcastic few...I like sarcasm but it doesnt work well if you dont know the person and their intentions at all...
Pork! It's the other white meat...and it's AH's ONLY meat!!!!!!!!!!!
OINK!
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
And since when was the MA designated a 1 v 1 dueling arena?  Isnt that what the ummm dueling arena is supposed to be for?
On teh larger maps you see furballs going on in 3-4 locations. the rest is usually wide open. Even the hordes cant attack everything at once.

Don't believe i said it was designated 1v1. I said that if you try to find a small fight somewhere and it is a 1v1 15 other people see that and come to that base. Now it is 15 on 1 or 2. That sucks and is no fun at all.
That is why it works much better with smaller arenas and caps.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
All I did was ask a simple question about something I did not understand it.  Now I understand it, and agree and disagree with it a little.  Yes the PIGS would fly with me anywhere but I would never ask 5 or 15 guys to leave what they were doing cause i can't log in to their arena...my squad had nothing to do with this.  I also didnt understand the VOX..now I do.  I also know how to play with the system to up the room numbers...defeats the purpose but it works i guess.  So to all the helpful comments thankyou all very much!  And to the sarcastic few...I like sarcasm but it doesnt work well if you dont know the person and their intentions at all...

Simple question? HERE?? LOL
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
Don't believe i said it was designated 1v1. I said that if you try to find a small fight somewhere and it is a 1v1 15 other people see that and come to that base. Now it is 15 on 1 or 2. That sucks and is no fun at all.
That is why it works much better with smaller arenas and caps.

I see that in every arena though regardless of caps. Hell, half the time thats the norm.
But on the larger maps you can usually find out of the way places regardless of the numbers. Which is one reason I favor the large maps over the small ones. But it comes to a point where a large map, or a small one becomes too big or too small for the numbers that are there.
Too big and you end up with hordes attacking only where people arent You end up with one big circlejerk with an furball here or there. Too small and all it is is as you say only furballs.
the smaller and midsized maps are great for blue where typically there are less people actually flying then are in the arena.
Where in Orange, these maps are often entirely too small for  the players in air. Mid to large maps better suit orange then blue.

Regardless of arena size, or the numbers. Anytime you get involved in a fight and a darbar shows up anywhere near and enemy base. You invite everyone to join in. Small fights dont often stay small fights as you get people like myself that look for a fairly even matchup first in darbar size or see that small darbar as a potential sign for an NOE raid and someone showing alack of discipline in going above dar. And go to investigate.

Just my opinion
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
are in place.  Seems most nights i try to get in the Orange room to join my squad mates but it becomes a hit an miss click fest trying to get in until the limit gets raised eventually.  What is up with this?  Not to mention it forces you to stay in it AWOL if you leave for a half hour or so cause you might lose a space.  I can guess it's to get people to go elsehwere but that is obviously not working.  people will not go fly ww1 planes if they want to fly with friends in the orange room.  I am sure they would just find another game if it bothered thme enough.  Can someone explain this to me?  is it a new feature?  What triggers the size increase?
TY
Doc

Lot of info on the borads if you search.

If you wait a few minutes an opening will occur. Never takes long. Or your squad can change to one of the other arenas so you can fly with them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)