Author Topic: New Scenario Suggestion.....Battle of El Alamein  (Read 2121 times)

Offline WldWeasl

• Zinc Member
      • NoseArt
New Scenario Suggestion.....Battle of El Alamein
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:15:34 AM »
Just to throw a monkey wrench out there...

Why can't we have a massive GV Scenario...El Alamein or Battle of the Bulge GV style...

We can see who's read more on Rommel or Patton....

WldWeasl

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: New Scenario Suggestion.....Battle of El Alamein
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »
[EDIT: speaking for El Alamein]

Because GVs as-is are a horribly flawed game device, do not follow the same realistic physics that the planes do, and the terrain and the actual ground-level combat is nothing at all remotely realistic.

Not to mention we don't have half the planes that were present in early Tunisia-type setups.

It would be bad. That's why.

My opinion.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »
There was this:  http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/200903_tunisia/rules.html
It had as large a contingent of GV'ers as wanted to play.

There was also this:  http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/stalins_fourth/rules/main.htm
which included a lot of great GV action.  We hope to run it again.

This one, also, had as large a GV contingent as wanted to play:
http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/200910_redStormKruppSteel/rules.html

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
I think Brooke is trying to point out that we DO have GVs in many scenarios... However I'll counter with the following: I played in all those scenarios. There were significant flaws with DoB in regards to 100 planes overhead and any one of them being able to stop a base capture but rules technicalities prevented them from attacking. Krupp Steel had so much cying and whining by sour sport GV players that didn't want ANY interaction with aircraft (despite losing the air superiority battle) and calling out cheat accusations, rules violations, etc. They created a giant stir that really soured a lot of players on including GVs in scenarios.

And Stalin's 4th... well.. I think that's a special one. On the one hand, half the players did NOT want to do GVs. We sucked it up and did our part, but we were flying aircraft 2 frames and GVs 2 other frames. We were not dedicated (and maybe this is the way to go?) But this map had soooo much custom content it was much better for GV battles. Custom tiles, custom terrain, very well laid out bunkers, bridges, etc... It probably took a couple years to make that map. The map no longer works in AH because of several graphics/terrain updates since then. It really would require a remade map (and the guy that redoes it deserves sainthood for putting all that effort in.... TWICE!)

My point is: Yes, we have done some in the past... But there are many complicated issues at hand. It's not just like running an MA mission or anything. There are many complex interactions between the ground vehicles and the aircraft.... Catering to the whims of folks in GVs really isn't fair to the overall combat sometimes.

I guess it's a bit of a rant. If the folks that regularly would join in the GV fight were as mature as some of the folks that design the air aspect of it, we could have a hit on our hands. Other times we're just playing 2 different games that are mutually exclusive of each other.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
DoB still makes me cringe when I think of the setup.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
I had a lot of fun playing in the Tunisia scenario as a Ju 88 pilot.  Lots of different types of targets, and fighting at low level, and I liked the novelty of the look of the desert terrain.

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »
Any North Africa scenario would guarantee 100% of my effort and time, is there a possibility of another Tunisia Scenario any time soon?
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Any North Africa scenario would guarantee 100% of my effort and time, is there a possibility of another Tunisia Scenario any time soon?

Not sure if that theater will appear this year.  We don't have all of this year nailed down yet.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
The Tunisia scenario was my first one ever, and after it I was hooked. When it comes back around, I will be there.  :cheers:

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:53 AM »
Because GVs as-is are a horribly flawed game device, do not follow the same realistic physics that the planes do, and the terrain and the actual ground-level combat is nothing at all remotely realistic.

+1

Vehicles do not have the same fidelity as aircraft in Aces High.

Moreover, I flew the 190F-8 in RSKS, and not once did the rules allow me to target a ground vehicle.  Then there was that huge uproar over whether an A-20 was "marking" a ground vehicle with a bomb, or trying to bomb it.  If there are more scenarios with gv's in the future, then I truly hope that we don't expect ground combat to occur in a hermetically sealed little bubble, with nasty forum uproars when a bomb or rocket comes a little too close.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
My first was Operation Downfall. Talk about flaws. Still fun and good enough to boost me into Special Events.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
DoB was awesome flew a 110 in that one and had a blast. Also my first major event.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline killrDan

• Copper Member
      • Rolling Thunder Website
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
Krupp Steele was an epic GV battle.  I thought it worked pretty good or at least from my perspective it did.  I'd like to see a scenario, or at least an FSO, with GV's again.

+1 :aok
THUNDER MOB - CO
Battle Over the Winter Line - II.SG4 GL

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »
I really enjoyed Stalin's Fourth. Half GV, Half Fighter for my squad anyway. Would be great to do it again where I don't have a dial-up connection allowing me a whopping 14FPS :D

+1 Stalin's Fourth ReMix  :aok
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
I really enjoyed Stalin's Fourth. Half GV, Half Fighter for my squad anyway. Would be great to do it again where I don't have a dial-up connection allowing me a whopping 14FPS :D

+1 Stalin's Fourth ReMix  :aok

Agreed, was a great one!  +1

Also had some really great videos too!  :) The Terrain was incredible too! I stink in a GV, so M3 dooty was right for me!   :old:   :rofl