Author Topic: Nothing to see here, move along  (Read 3716 times)

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
Re: No icon = weaksauce
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »
Shane might be abrasive but he knows his stuff. Although he may come across wrong he would gladly take you and teach you a few things. He is a very good trainer. The way i see it.. if old timers keep coming in here saying the same thing bashing the arena maybe you should listen to what they are saying. The AvA is not the elite arena. It is not the best arena. At times it can be the worst arena.

I really appreciate what the setup folks are trying to do but consider this one thing... Some of use have been flying in here for some 10 12 years and we have seen most every set up there is. They only real change in the AvA is the people. we come and go. No icons.. done it... rolling plane sets.... done it... no dar... done it... Pretty much know what worked and what didnt. The ganging thing has always been an issue. No way to fix it with a setup.. The only way to correct it is with the people who fly there regularly. If a horde of ma folks come in regulars should switch sides... If you stay on the side with high numbers as a regular you are wrong plain and simple.

Shane makes me laugh although long ago we used to go at it cus he would bash me for being a noob. oneday i asked him to show me his reversal and merges...he has never bashed me again....What is funny is that most of the insults you see in AH come from him...

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
When I first got involved here in AvA a year or so ago it was a total ghost town.

There was even a lot of talk about just scrapping the whole concept.

After a lot of hard work by a lot of volunteers it is now once again viable, still a long way to go but light years ahead of where it was when I first started flying here.

Now I'm not singling anyone out, but for anyone, even the big name elite old time pilots of the AH world who abandoned it years ago to come in now and say that it sucks and we are doing it all wrong, is just not going to elicit favorable responses.

Critiques and suggestions that are constructive in nature will fare much better.

Anyone who is honest, will acknowledge that there are no new ideas under the sun.

Anything we do has of course been tried before, but recycled ideas in certain combinations can work better at some times than others.

:salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
THere is a pretty big difference between being abrasive, and being an ass.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
When I first got involved here in AvA a year or so ago it was a total ghost town.

There was even a lot of talk about just scrapping the whole concept.

After a lot of hard work by a lot of volunteers it is now once again viable, still a long way to go but light years ahead of where it was when I first started flying here.

Now I'm not singling anyone out, but for anyone, even the big name elite old time pilots of the AH world who abandoned it years ago to come in now and say that it sucks and we are doing it all wrong, is just not going to elicit favorable responses.

Critiques and suggestions that are constructive in nature will fare much better.

Anyone who is honest, will acknowledge that there are no new ideas under the sun.

Anything we do has of course been tried before, but recycled ideas in certain combinations can work better at some times than others.

:salute

i think it's  come up a LOT just in the few tours i've been flying in there.

i think jaeger1 has worked his bellybutton off persevering through a lot of bs to make it work.

i also like to think that there are a few AvA spammers that've done a lot for it too.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »
It was abandoned for the same thing that he is complaining about. Until you guys realize it is you regulars who can control the ganging it will continued to be bashed. Safety in numbers i guess.. Thats why you fly with a wingman..

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Show me any arena where someone isn't complaining about the same thing.  Sometimes I wonder why some people play a multiplayer game.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
It was abandoned for the same thing that he is complaining about. Until you guys realize it is you regulars who can control the ganging it will continued to be bashed. Safety in numbers i guess.. Thats why you fly with a wingman..

It's not [just] the regulars...we prefer small intimate fights (1v1 up to 3v3).  We see members from main arena squads come in to play now and then, and they are more than welcome to come in.  They fly and fight as a group, employ wingman tactics and yes, they gang.  Just start reading the 100+ post "wingman tactics" thread.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
Guys & Gals ( if any still come to this arena/forum )

The Arena has always had it's spells of going for 1 hour. 5 hours. 1 Day.  4 Days. 1 Week.  1 month. 3 months.. 1 year. 2 years. with good participation but at the same time it has always had it's spells of being a "ghost town" just the same amounts of times....

please understand, none of the old time players consider themselves "elite"..... I never understood why this "Posted as an Insult type of description" has to keep being throw-ed around toward the older/been here awhile players..... and the old timers did not abandon anything, each and every one of them still come back and fly in the CT/AvsA,some more than others...... and we still see the same things we have always seen.. no matter what the setup is.... also, as for the bashing of the current regulars....... it looks like that bashing has been going both ways..... no one is respecting what the other is able to offer or bring to and throw on the table and share with everyone as a group.....

but just the same, if any one of us was to log in and find no one in the arena, would one of the old timers bother to sit there for 30+minutes by themselves..... I guarantee you maybe 1 out of 50 might give it a shot and wait ...... and this is no different than the current "Regular AvsA players"

I have sat in there and watch several of you "current regulars" pop in the Arena while I am steadily hitting refresh on the roster hoping some one to show up, I try and holler/text hello just to receive no answer and watch 1 or 2 leave without even responding....

I have had some of the most excellent gameplay one would ever wish for or come across, both in the past and even in the Arena's current "game play settings" state

but on the other hand, I have experienced some of the worst as well, again. in the past and with the current game setup....

what I see "Today / current time in place" is a refreshed Volunteer Staff with the passion to keep the Arena striving..... I see this Current Vol. Staff  working hard to make people happy, and currently feel that "no Icons" & "wingman tactics or Offensive Division Fighter Sweep tactics" work ........ to where in the past the Vol. Staff and the participants looked at it differently and did not settle or go for for much beyond a 3 vs 1 battle.....but mainly 2 vs 1 or 2vs3 or 2vs2 or even 1vs1 etc....

back then it was "as best as possible historical plane match ups Aerial Combat"..... to day it is the same except for the twist of "Team Play" and if your side only has 2 or 3 well sorry, our side /squad has 6 to 10. and we are playing as a Team Objective ......

I truly , for one, appreciate that the AvsA Staff keeps the flame lit and continue to keep the AvsA going & populated, even if I do not care for "no Icons"..... it does not bother me, and I still can find enjoyment in the arena........ who knows.... this Arena just may become a "ghost town" again..... as was mentioned.... history has a way of repeating itself and there is absolutely nothing new under the Sun...... (well, not until hitech COADS something new  :D )

hope to see some of you online in the AvsA today/tonight   :airplane:  :cheers:  :salute

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
Well said TC

For my part I hope returning players enjoy the arena as much as I do but, as I've constantly preached, as things evolve certain things have to change in order to achieve growth.  I'm not a big fan of any more than 2 v 1 but it's going to happen.  At best it can be discouraged by the regulars but people are going to play the way they play regardless. 

However I'd like the old returning players to give it more than one night prior to indicting the entire arena and everybody in it.  Sometimes when you log on regardless of who you are the situation is not going to be in your favor or equal.  *shrug* it happens.  I think overall the arena is in a lot better shape than it was when I left back then and I think it's trending upward. 

Based on who I see working on set ups and looking out for the general health of the arena I feel pretty secure saying that the outlook, to me, is quite good.  And, for the record, I have put money up to back that statement. 

*puts clown suit back on goes looking for interesting trinkets*
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:34 AM »
That's a good post TC.

Two things that should be done is for the current folks not to assume that a new poster is a noob and just can't handle the icon settings, and for the vets not to be condescending to the current group that has found a home here.

All should be welcome here Veteran players and the new crowd.

As far as the "posted as an insult type of description", some things are just insulting and you are going to get a negative response if you post in an insulting manner.

I know I have and deservingly so many times.

If you read a post like this
but answer me this - why do we have friendly icons on? Leave dot dar, but remove all icons? Why not? Ahhhhh. Friendly icons give a huge advantage in those gangbangs as you can key off on what your friendlies are doing.

It describes a lame and nefarious motive for a setting, and that is not the case.

I find that to be insulting, but hey that's just my opinion.

Offline cohofly

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
I for one am a big fan of the AvA. I love the no icon set-up. When I first ventured into the arena, it was because I was suffering some FR issues in the MA's, and I thought the lower numbers would help with my old dinosaur of a Comp. I have to adimit, I dont think I scored a kill or assist for the first two weeks that I was in here. I was never very happy with the ever changing set ups and plane sets because I mostly flew spits n' hurris in the MA's. I kept coming back because there was something going on in there that I wasnt getting in the other arenas. There was a sense of fair play and good sportmanship. (go ahead and flame if you wish). I met several very nice people who (after shooting me down) would salute, whether I deserved it or not. So after a while I started to get a little better at watching my surroundings, watching for dots, paying attention to the dot dar. (fortunatley you never have to fly very far to find a fight). All the things that I should have been doing in the MA's but wasnt. I slowly became better able to judge a planes distance in front of me without Icon distance. I got better at following a plane I was fighting in a rolling fight without losing visual. (still happens but not nearly as much)
Now I am very happy with the ever changing set-up and sometimes wish that they would last a little longer. I enjoy the fact that you are going to have to fly a myriad of different planes in here. (some Im comfortable with some Im not) You are going to get picked and you are going to get ganged, there is just no two ways about it. I for one enjoy the challenge, I very rarely if ever win in a 2v1 a 3v1 or more, but Im getting better at it and for my $15.00 a month thats what counts.

I understand that this arena is not for everyone, and at times we are going to have s0meone post something that appears negative. I think we have a great arena and we shouldnt get bottled down in other peoples stuff. Maybe they were having a bad day. Ill leave it at that
<S>
Carver
Carver CO -55thFg/38thFS-
"Heinie Honking and LocoBusting"