Author Topic: Shot at my countyman  (Read 2432 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Shot at my countyman
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
I actually like the idea of killshooter being off in the AvA, like it is for FSO.  It adds another layer of difference from the MA settings, much like the no enemy icons does.  It will take getting used to for the non-regulars, but I think it would add to the experience.

Accidents will happen, and there might be those who try to abuse it, but the regulars and staffers should be able to deal with it.  I say give it a try for a few days.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
I actually like the idea of killshooter being off in the AvA, like it is for FSO.  It adds another layer of difference from the MA settings, much like the no enemy icons does.  It will take getting used to for the non-regulars, but I think it would add to the experience.

Accidents will happen, and there might be those who try to abuse it, but the regulars and staffers should be able to deal with it.  I say give it a try for a few days.

Sounds like a great idea.  It moves the immersion factor closer to the real world.....fratricide. It will add a whole new dimension to the occasional MA mentality player who hawks a fight, waits for someone else to beat down the bandit's energy level, and then drops down in front the guy doing all the work and takes the easy shot for a kill.  :O
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:20:41 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
i think i'd like to try that idea also.

wonder if ack hitting anything in the air could be added too?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Funny this should come up.  I got an 'assist' on a countryman last night  :uhoh
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »

Sounds like a great idea.  It moves the immersion factor closer to the real world.....fratricide.

It just takes one guy to ruin the night with killshooter off and I've seen it before. One dingleberry type gets word that there's no killshooter in the AVA and he'll be here in a flash. Just like the guy that came and attack the memorial flight last month. There's nothing regulars can do about it. The only people that can put a stop to it would be staffers. Staffers can only eject somebody for so long plus they really need to see the incident happen to take action. Taking action on heresay is not the mark of a good staffer. Besides there's not always a staffer present. Plus say you accidental kill a countryman and he gets a case of the donut and shoots you down. Then you've got a whole different set of problems. You know Hitech has killshooter for a reason and it's probably because there much less crap and trouble with killshooter on then there would be with it off.

It will add a whole new dimension to the occasional MA mentality player who hawks a fight, waits for someone else to beat down the bandit's energy level, and then drops down in front the guy doing all the work and takes the easy shot for the kill.  :O

I agree with you there. I am not the best shot and have to get close many times I'll work in close only to have a guy zip in and take the kill. Yes it's frustrating, but it's not near the problem you'll get once a couple of guys lose their temper with the killshooter off. One reason it works in the FSO is everyone is usually flying with squadmates and you have assigned missions. Plus there are always staff people present to eject people if rules get out of hand or if all hell breaks loose. In a freestyle arena like the AVA the chances misunderstanding or just plain misconduct by somebody entering to cause trouble are more likely. Personally I don't care if it's off but you will see a rise in problems and purse fights.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »
Yeah, all good points, Shifty.  It's along the lines of no icons also. It'll take some getting used to but, those who have been assimilated into the AvA may like the new dimension it offers.  As you so eloquently put it, the "purse fighters" are going to whine and/or abuse most anything that doesn't suit them.  :salute

I suggest we give it a try and see how the majority likes it.   :aok
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:02:09 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
I think it would be fun if everybody could be trusted.  Problem is not everybody can be trusted.  Some people feed off of each other and a guy, who is generally an okay player, will turn into an idjit when he's running with his buddies.

It might be an interesting feature in a planned event but I think it would be a bad idea during regular play. 

Just my .02
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
we have done the killshooter off thing a few times without announcing it in the forums...and it has worked for the regulars who don't walk around with a stick up their bums...but like shifty pointed out, it just takes one idjit to spoil the entire thing and this forum is rife with discussions on less than acceptable behavior in one manner or the other when a setting is changed in an attempt to enhance the enjoyment.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
Face it most of you guys are decent and if somebody cuts in front of you you'll hold your fire and probably warn the guy.
So it's really not needed. Like I said it really doesn't matter to me, having the killshooter off really doesn't do anything for playability or even realism.
All it does is enable jerks to be jerks.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »
I myself liked it when "Friendly Collisions" were turned on......... everyone had to really be on their "game" to not launch and crash when taking off or landing.....

that was some true Realism/immersion prob the best you can get in this game.... in my view
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Face it most of you guys are decent and if somebody cuts in front of you you'll hold your fire and probably warn the guy.
So it's really not needed. Like I said it really doesn't matter to me, having the killshooter off really doesn't do anything for playability or even realism.
All it does is enable jerks to be jerks.

i like shooting crazy in his p-38 from the field gun.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline kculon

• Copper Member
      • http://fotgfilms.com
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
I myself liked it when "Friendly Collisions" were turned on......... everyone had to really be on their "game" to not launch and crash when taking off or landing.....

that was some true Realism/immersion prob the best you can get in this game.... in my view

I would love this feature BUT, since it's a game and you have to get on the runway somehow, I think it would only work "well" if it was enabled when you lifted off.
~kc

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »
i like shooting crazy in his p-38 from the field gun.  :devil

lol i forgot about that Cap
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
I would love this feature BUT, since it's a game and you have to get on the runway somehow, I think it would only work "well" if it was enabled when you lifted off.
~kc

or just coordinate your take offs. you spawn, call when rolling, the next guy spawns, etc.
it'd be a cool thing to try.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »
or just coordinate your take offs. you spawn, call when rolling, the next guy spawns, etc.
it'd be a cool thing to try.

There's a tower for a reason...someone could volunteer to be ATC.  :D

Or, two people can spawn at opposite ends of the runway and see who gets airborne faster.  :devil
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals