Author Topic: Shot at my countyman  (Read 2428 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Shot at my countyman
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
or just coordinate your take offs. you spawn, call when rolling, the next guy spawns, etc.
it'd be a cool thing to try.

There's a tower for a reason....  :D

Or, two people can spawn at opposite ends of the runway and see who gets airborne faster.  :devil

that is how we used to do it. no need for an ATC.....

I am for it...... anyways <grin>
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
There's a tower for a reason...someone could volunteer to be ATC.  :D

Or, two people can spawn at opposite ends of the runway and see who gets airborne faster.  :devil
Runway Chicken

Glad my original post has spawned some interesting conversation.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
There's a tower for a reason...someone could volunteer to be ATC.  :D

it is illegal to use 2 opposing runways at the same time... :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
Runway Chicken

Glad my original post has spawned some interesting conversation.

That's the way we roll around here.   :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
I think killshooter off and friendly collisions on could only be utilized in something structured like an event.  Trying it out in an open arena is just asking for trouble, unfortunately.  Now radar that spans from coast to coast in a BoB setup would be good though.  ;)

And Norm I suggest you start drinking, at the very least it gives you an excuse.  :cheers:
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Hello chaps!

Shifty is very, very right... but we could try something in between like having killshooter off when a staffer is present. Also not advertise it might keep the pirañas away...

I'm all for friendly collisions, that I would advertise in CAPS to avoid mistakes.

Cheers,
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Online captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »
Killshooter: i've broached the subject before with the staff, probably before shifty's time as admin. this is the way we left it. it will only be turned off if everyone is warned and if a staffer is present. last night i did it for a little fun and realism( i'm funny like that). i would never leave it off and neither would anyone else. unsupervised with killshooter off, it would be total kaos and not something we want. now and then it can be a fun thing, as long as a staffer is around to keep an eye on things. we'll leave it at that.

as for friendly collisions, don't think i haven't thought about that one too. its something we could try for a night and see how it works out. remember though, spawn at the same time a friendly will kill you too! again it will only be done if everyone is warned and assuming no one has a problem with it.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 10:05:35 AM »
it is illegal to use 2 opposing runways at the same time... :noid

Actually, Cap, it can be done as long as the following instruction is issued by the tower controller: "ya'll be careful out there now, ya hear?"

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
I like the idea of AvA being the realism venue. No holds barred.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Killshooter: i've broached the subject before with the staff, probably before shifty's time as admin. this is the way we left it. it will only be turned off if everyone is warned and if a staffer is present. last night i did it for a little fun and realism( i'm funny like that). i would never leave it off and neither would anyone else. unsupervised with killshooter off, it would be total kaos and not something we want. now and then it can be a fun thing, as long as a staffer is around to keep an eye on things. we'll leave it at that.

as for friendly collisions, don't think i haven't thought about that one too. its something we could try for a night and see how it works out. remember though, spawn at the same time a friendly will kill you too! again it will only be done if everyone is warned and assuming no one has a problem with it.

I remember killshooter being off in the CT/AVA before your time in Aces High. It didn't last for a reason. I know friendly collisions on has been tried before. Another failure if it could be disbled separately while on the ground that would be one thing. The ground collisions are a pain in the butt and not everybody wants to be so anal as to have to check with every other player in the same country that you have clearance just to get on the freaking runway so you can play the sim. After somebody spawns on top of you for the third time or your landing your plane and somebody spawns in front of you it loses its quaintness quickly. Seriously guys some of you are dreaming up things that cramp game play not enhance it. You die quick enough from the other side shooting you down. Why add to it by allowing countrymen to shoot you down or kill you by spawning on top of you as well?  Your city government can turn all the traffic lights to green at the same time, that doesn't mean it's a good idea if they do.

Norm if you want no holds barred realism. Next time you get killed in game logoff and don't comeback... That would suck wouldn't it?  ;) Realism is in the eye of the beholder. Having somebody suddenly materialize in the same spot I am killing me is not realistic. Also asking some self appointed air traffic controller permission to materialize on the end of a runway isn't realistic either.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:12:18 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
Yep Shifty.....

for the most part, it would be unadvisable to do either out side of special little proposed events....

the novelty will wear off extremely quickly once they see how hard it is to take off and land with "Friendly Collisions" enabled
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »
It would be cool if you could disable it on the ground and have it in the air I agree with everyone there. The ground handling sux though.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »
Yes- agree about the friendly collisions on the ground. That's the way FA was - Collisions were only active once wheels were off the ground.  If we can't do the same here,  then it would be chaos on the ground due to the spawn as shifty mentions.

But if we can enable it once wheels up, that would be the way to go.  Then if Crazy cuts in front of CAP when he's on a con's six, CAP can just run his prop right up Crazy's...well...you get the idea!  LOL

A plus is that it really cuts down on ganging - once folks get used to it then they are more likely to save their alt and cover you like they are supposed to instead of cutting in and risk a collision. 

As far as killshooter goes, FA had it enabled for years, and folks were always complaining.  With Killshooter on, some chump can cut in front of you while you are firing and YOU take the damage instead of the jerk.  On one of their major updates they set it up so friendly fire did no damage to either plane.  Just a waste of ammo.  That was the way it was for the past several years, and it worked out well - the whining dropped to near zero. 

Don't know if either one of these is possible in AH or not.  Just throwing around ideas here.

Cheese

Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
Norm if you want no holds barred realism. Next time you get killed in game logoff and don't comeback... That would suck wouldn't it?  ;) Realism is in the eye of the beholder. Having somebody suddenly materialize in the same spot I am killing me is not realistic. Also asking some self appointed air traffic controller permission to materialize on the end of a runway isn't realistic either.

Obviously there are certain realisms that wouldn't work well here. It's a shame that the game isn't smart enough to allow only one spawn per 1000 pixels..or whatever it is. I still consider the realism better here than in the other arenas. Flying a P-51 and shooting down a P-47 just doesnt feel right.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 04:37:18 PM »
Killshooter has to remain on guys. That comes from HTC.