Author Topic: drivers getting worse?  (Read 376 times)

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
drivers getting worse?
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:20:04 AM »
Earlier today I was ridin with a friend to a pool hall at around 4, sometimes if I'm the passenger once we reach the destination I would kid an say "well you got us here in one piece, good job". Today I seriously meant it.

In the span of about 20 minutes we nearly got t-boned goin through an intersection, got cut off by the driver who uses the turning lane as a "get to the front of the line lane" only to swerve out infront of us in the intersection. As we were about to go through another intersection an oncoming car making the left turn decides to go anyway even though the traffic is backed up to the intersection and stops in front of us. Shortly after are cut off again by another car pulling onto the main street from a residential who can't wait 3 seconds for a safe time to enter the road. Finally while going through an S turn a faster car in the left lane comes half way into our lane as it goes through the slight turn. After the first close call I began actively assisting the driver in in collision avoidance, while the guy in the backseat is taking note that nearly every situation was caused by, wait for it.......female drivers.
 Seriously wtf!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:27:07 AM by bagrat »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: drivers getting worse?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »
females shouldn't drive.

but did you have your seatbelts on? 

who won at pool?

dam this post sounds like one of zacks    :uhoh    :rolleyes: 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:47:06 AM »
females shouldn't drive.

but did you have your seatbelts on? 

who won at pool?

dam this post sounds like one of zacks    :uhoh    :rolleyes: 

Especially not the ones on cell phones, at least a drunk is a little paranoid behind the wheel. I had the privilege of being in a roll over without a seat belt, it was not as fun as they make it sound. So yes now I always buckle in. I won more than I lost...I think.  :noid
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »
See that stuff everyday. My truck can weigh up to 92,000 pounds and people think they can argue with it. Half of them don't realize that their own car is considered a deadly weapon. Slow down people. If your late you should have left earlier.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
See that stuff everyday. My truck can weigh up to 92,000 pounds and people think they can argue with it. Half of them don't realize that their own car is considered a deadly weapon. Slow down people. If your late you should have left earlier.

Roads are full of stupid or mentally insane people. Your comment about your truck reminded me of a news headline not so long ago:

We have a lot of snow at the moment. The snow cleaning crews are driving snow dumps around the day. Some streets are one lane due to parked cars and accumulated snow in the city.

A truck carrying a full load of snow was passing the road while a passenger vehicle started moving up the same road from the opposite direction. They had no space to pass and the truck was legally obligated to make way. They argued for a while which one should back up the road untill the truck driver lost his temper and pushed the small vehicle 100 meters back the road and then left the crime scene.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:45:17 AM »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »
Some reasons:

The advertising of all the safety features, never mind the race car handling, in a car make people fell invincible.

Too preoccupied with other things going on in their life.

Me, Me, Me mentality.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:16:40 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKcSZfY1sf4

Lol another waste of time: Youtube. +20db advertisements are the final nail to the coffin.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
Even when I'm talking to people in the car with me, I never take my eyes off the road.

If I ever get into a car wreck, it's not going to be my fault.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »
it's not jsut female drivers.

young boys think they're invincible(remember when you thought that?)
young girls have no clue as to the damage that that 3,000 pound+ vehicle can do, or what it cannot do.

here in nj, it is "strongly encouraged" for you to send your kid to a driving school, rather than teach them yourself. this is all well and fine, as the schools(i think) do an excellent job of teaching the kids to drive by the laws.
 the problem is that these schools don't do a very good job of teaching the kids any common sense, as you the parent would. so now, what we have, is kids driving with a lot less sense than had their parents taught them.
 top that off with the fact that these schools cancel classes if it's raining or snowing. in most cases, the parents don't take the kids out to teach them, because they're paying the school for that. if they make it long without any accidents, or with just minor ones, then they never learn.
 then you end up with women doing their makeup in the mirror as they're driving, men reading the newspaper and trimming their nose hairs as they;re driving.
 we also have a gazillion safety devices on cars today that these very same people assume are there so they don't have to worry about it. the mercedes commercial was just on to remind me of that. a guy saying "i didn't realize the car in front of me was stopping, but my mercedes did".

i guess the short answer is yes......drivers are getting worse.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
Especially not the ones on cell phones, at least a drunk is a little paranoid behind the wheel. I had the privilege of being in a roll over without a seat belt, it was not as fun as they make it sound. So yes now I always buckle in. I won more than I lost...I think.  :noid

i was in a rollover once. came 'round a dark bend on the way to the ben franklin bridge. this road at this point is 2 lanes each direction, plus a shoulder. i was in the right lane, a suv right next to me in the left.
 anyway, rounded the bend, and there's a dead car sitting in my lane facing me(had already been involved in an accident). i couldn't go left, so a quick check showed that no one was on the shoulder already on my right. i was standing on the brakes all this time, but going straight there was no stopping in time.
 i let off the brakes, and slipped over onto the shoulder. i had it made. unfortunately for us, there was an 18 year old kid driving the maxima behind us, that assumed i was braking for no reason at all....when i moved to the shoulder, he started to pass us. then he saw why, got on his brakes, and came over behind us. he didn't make it. he "pitted" the mitsubishi i was driving.
 what this did, was to put me into a skid, with the back end going right. no problem....steer into it, right? this would've worked, had the curb not been there. we hit the curb, the car then whipped around to the left, hitting the curb again. it launched, and landed about 30 feet up on the grass(on the drivers side), slid for a bit, then rolled onto the roof.
 the only casulties, were my girlfriends brand new pantyhose(and yes, she was pissed about that and said so), and she broke 2 nails(which she had done earlier that day.
 we were both wearing our seat belts, so no injuries. and yes.....it is NOT fun
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Even when I'm talking to people in the car with me, I never take my eyes off the road.

Everyone thinks that when they drive.  They never want it to be their fault.  Trouble is, just because your eyes are on the road doesn't mean you're paying full attention.  I have been driving plenty of times looking ahead as normal, but a slight audio distraction had most of my attention and nearly had me up another guys patootie.  Heck i ran a Red light due to talking, even though I was looking ahead and saw the light, it just didn't register as important due to distractions (luckily the officer passing by didn't care at 2am!).

Not saying it will be your fault, just need to be careful is all.  I haven't been driving even close to as long as most people on these boards (only a few years and ~150K miles) and have had my fair share of close calls that have changed how I drive drastically.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »

this is a little different, but it shoudl show that just "keeping your eyes on the road" isn't enough sometimes.

a few years ago, on one of my BFR's, my cfi "dropped his pencil" while i was mid-field on the down wind leg. i had just done my mid-field check. the thing that struck me as funny, is that i KNEW he didn't have a pencil, but rather a pen, and i had also noted he didn't have it out, nor did he have a note pad out. this is a common distraction trick i'm told that some cfi's do.

so, i decided that i wasn't gonna fall for it. it just happened that there was a c-150 on long final(he entered the pattern out there), so i kept my eyes on him since i wasn't too sure if he was gonna turn into the down wind for the opposite runway i was using. cfi keeps fudging around, asking me for help...i told him i was too busy concentrating on my flying, and that there was another plane out there.
 know what i did? i concentrated so dam hard on that airplane, that i had let my airspeed bleed off.... a LOT. all because of a tiny distraction inside. you've no idea how pissed off i was at myself......but it was a good lesson learned too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
I hate it when people fly loose patterns, I try to fly a tight pattern, because out at boerne you have 2 options

1. Runway
2. Trees

A Cherokee lost his engine midfield downwind, but because he was so far out he ended up hitting the trees 500 feet short of the runway.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »
I hate it when people fly loose patterns, I try to fly a tight pattern, because out at boerne you have 2 options

1. Runway
2. Trees

A Cherokee lost his engine midfield downwind, but because he was so far out he ended up hitting the trees 500 feet short of the runway.

i used to fly them a lil sloppy.......til i seemed to keep suffering "engine failures" when i was a little wide, or a little long........now i fly a nice tight neat pattern.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"