Author Topic: Quit facebook  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Quit facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
How many of you have never had or have quit their facebook accounts?

Never had.

Though one day I suddenly got Facebook spam to my very private email dress. My wife had started an account there and inadvertently  allowed FB to scan her email contact lists   :bhead

10 minutes later her account was deleted  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »
Had one for 3 months.

Realized how ridiculous it was and deleted it.

Never went back.
See Rule #4

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »
Dudes - lighten up!   :noid

Not any worse than having an email account.

I also think it's ridiculous how addicted some people are to it.  But it's also a great way to stay in contact with long distance friends.

As in all things internet, be aware of your privacy settings and exposure.

You can also block adds, prevent 'evil business' intrusions, etc.  A bit of reading and exploring in your profile will help.

:salute

Cheese
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »
Dudes - lighten up!   :noid

Not any worse than having an email account.

I also think it's ridiculous how addicted some people are to it.  But it's also a great way to stay in contact with long distance friends.

As in all things internet, be aware of your privacy settings and exposure.

You can also block adds, prevent 'evil business' intrusions, etc.  A bit of reading and exploring in your profile will help.

:salute

Cheese

Lol! No you can't because app makers and ad makers do not follow even the specifications FB requires them to follow and sell your information. Haven't you read the news lately?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
Lol! No you can't because app makers and ad makers do not follow even the specifications FB requires them to follow and sell your information. Haven't you read the news lately?
And just what type of info on a FB page do you think is so important it must not fall into their evil hands?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
And just what type of info on a FB page do you think is so important it must not fall into their evil hands?

You can ask yourself what kind of secrets you speak on the phone. Yet the government needs a subpoena to tap your phone. What for? You got nothing to hide...
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
Yeah I know but I don't want all my friends seeing all my pictures. See what I'm saying?
So you went to the trouble of posting pictures on Facebook but don't want to go to the trouble of deleting them? or just changing your settings?
sounds kinda like the girl who dresses up all sexy, with nearly nothing on, then tells all the guys,, DON'T LOOK AT ME!   lol
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
sounds kinda like the girl who dresses up all sexy, with nearly nothing on, then tells all the guys,, DON'T LOOK AT ME!   lol

That is exactly how I've always pictured Mach looking.   :neener:
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »
This is just one example of how your information can be misused: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110205/ts_alt_afp/usitinternetartfacebook

Getting split up with your girlfriend as she finds your picture on an adult dating site quoting 'looking for sexy adventures with an another male' lol.

Yeah, no perceivable reason for stopping someone from extracting your pictures/data :D

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
here are a few things about FaceBook and/or some things that happens to FaceBook Users

Dating website imports 250,000 unwitting Facebook accounts
article: http://www.neowin.net/news/dating-website-imports-250000-unwitting-facebook-accounts

Your Facebook status is now a company ad
article: http://www.neowin.net/news/your-facebook-status-is-now-a-company-ad

Naked on Facebook? Beware the Angry Dweeb
article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/217341/naked_on_facebook_beware_the_angry_dweeb.html?tk=rss_news

Facebook: Most blacklisted website 
article: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/217599/the_winner_of_the_most_blocked_website_award_is.html 

Facebook Gives Your Home Address to Developers
article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/216850/facebook_gives_your_home_address_to_developers.html?tk=rss_news

Social Networking: Blessing or Curse
article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/216958/social_networking_blessing_or_curse.html?tk=rss_news

just a few things to read up on regarding Facebook and Social Networking in general

I personally never gave FaceBook a thought... I did open a myspace  long ago, but stopped with it with in a month or two.... and never looked back...

I too, have continously had to fix problems with both my Daughter's PC's and a Niece's PC.. and frequently have to scan/clean my Mom's PC due to these social networking sites and how they trick you with different Java, Flash, etc ads and pop ups that people think is so innocent

Good Luck to those who think nothing happens.....

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Have been on Facebook for maybe 2 years now. It has been great for keeping in touch with family/friends and leaning about lost acquaintances. I'm not a twitter type user and don't play farmville or such games. My privacy settings are set correctly. I never click on any of the commercial stuff either. I only accept I know or have known.

Not sure what the big deal is really. I've suffered no problems from my activity of facebook.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
but rogwar, you are one of the more savvy one's that know how to stay on top of your PC / internet browsing I would assume

today, everything is just click and go.. people ( most people ) take stuff at face value and do not think of the ramifications of the actions that may follow. or I mean results

edit: I was going to include an article that has been on the net for a bit. regarding  Google, myspace and facebook being in bed with the NSA and CIA... but that gets into the Religion/politics/gov area and I did not want to get this thread locked....

but anyone of you can go research it yourself, if it interests you......
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:44:20 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »
had one

proceeded to get bombarded by people I haven't seen or talked to for thirty years

deleted it made one under an anonymous name

parents, thinking they were doing me a favor, sent an old acquaintance of mine the account so he could 'get in touch' with me

started getting bombarded agan

deleted it

never went back
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
The majority of people on Facebook have privacy settings set so only people who are already your friend can see the info on your account, so it's not like anyone can see your info, just people that are your friends, all the things you listed can be set to only be seen by them.
There are programs out there sold exclusively to businesses to get around privacy settings. Lots of kids not getting jobs because of something posted on facebook.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
There are programs out there sold exclusively to businesses to get around privacy settings. Lots of kids not getting jobs because of something posted on facebook.

and even Adults getting fired from their jobs because of things on these people's personal networking sites... which should have nothing to do with one's own Job or place of employment....