Author Topic: Quit facebook  (Read 3348 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Quit facebook
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:49:16 AM »
How many of you have never had or have quit their facebook accounts?

I did last week. I got tired of spreading my personal info in Mr. Zuckenbergs advantage and starting to have internet ads stating 'this friend of yours bought this or watched this' crap.

I think Facebook is a wolf in sheeps disguise and most of the people do not realize what they're messing with. They're turning peoples social behaviour into a tool of control and business.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Re: Quit facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:53:46 AM »
you know what they say, facebook is like jail. You waste time all day an get poked by people you don't know. The other day I nearly commented on a friends breakfast and said "whoa wtf"  time to :bolt:
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:29 AM »
Never had, never will.  :aok

If I want to talk to something there is thing thing thing called a phone (you can also text with it), another useful tool is called email, they do a very good job. If I want to show someone my pictures I can email it to them, no need of posting all my pics so everyone can see it, same thing with the profile, if I want to tell someone what I like to do than I will, no need to show it to everyone. I also could never understand the point of showing everyone a list of all your friends, why does anyone need to know who your friends are?
And the biggest reason of all: waist of time!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:16:53 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:52:50 AM »
Never had, never will.  :aok

If I want to talk to something there is thing thing thing called a phone (you can also text with it), another useful tool is called email, they do a very good job. If I want to show someone my pictures I can email it to them, no need of posting all my pics so everyone can see it, same thing with the profile, if I want to tell someone what I like to do than I will, no need to show it to everyone. I also could never understand the point of showing everyone a list of all your friends, why does anyone need to know who your friends are?
And the biggest reason of all: waist of time!

(Image removed from quote.)
The majority of people on Facebook have privacy settings set so only people who are already your friend can see the info on your account, so it's not like anyone can see your info, just people that are your friends, all the things you listed can be set to only be seen by them.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
The majority of people on Facebook have privacy settings set so only people who are already your friend can see the info on your account, so it's not like anyone can see your info, just people that are your friends, all the things you listed can be set to only be seen by them.

Yeah I know but I don't want all my friends seeing all my pictures. See what I'm saying?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:03:45 AM »
Yeah I know but I don't want all my friends seeing all my pictures. See what I'm saying?

You can prevent certain people from seeing certain updates.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »

Did not know that, but still I just don't think it's worth the trouble. I was never in a situation where I thought "hmm I wish I had facebook right now", and I can't think of a single reason why it would be useful. 
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 06:36:30 AM »
Google your name if you have FB. All your info just pops up for everyone to see
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »

I tried that, couldn't find any info from FB, but i did find some aircraft photo's I posted on the net 7 or 8 years ago.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
If you limit the info displayed on FB it kinda negates the purpose of FB. Then again, every other app you happen to click on in FB will sell your information to third parties that will use it for targeted advertising and who knows what else.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »

Wrong guy came up.  :aok

What info are you guys putting on facebook anyway, your SS number?  I really don't care if someone searches my name and finds out I'm a college aged male, people seem to figure out that when I go outside too.  People I know and people I've met can go ahead and learn a little more about me, like I'm into guns, or I like south park.  :uhoh  Don't put anything on facebook you don't want people to know, taa daa.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »
Never been to facebook, don't figure on going anytime soon.

3 times in the last year my daughters computer got infected with a nasty bug, had to reformat, reinstall from scratch. All 3 times the only place she'd been was facebook.

That is warning enough for me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
Wrong guy came up.  :aok

What info are you guys putting on facebook anyway, your SS number?  I really don't care if someone searches my name and finds out I'm a college aged male, people seem to figure out that when I go outside too.  People I know and people I've met can go ahead and learn a little more about me, like I'm into guns, or I like south park.  :uhoh  Don't put anything on facebook you don't want people to know, taa daa.

Most people put themselves into risk unknowingly, criminals can harvest clues for password cracking. Childrens or pets names, birthdates etc. Many people use those for passwords :)

They can figure out activities, daily habits etc. for burglaries and whatnot. Majority of women in Facebook accept invitations from total strangers just to boost their 'friend count'. Same goes for playing Zynga games etc. which will sell your information forward.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »
Most people put themselves into risk unknowingly, criminals can harvest clues for password cracking. Childrens or pets names, birthdates etc. Many people use those for passwords :)

They can figure out activities, daily habits etc. for burglaries and whatnot. Majority of women in Facebook accept invitations from total strangers just to boost their 'friend count'. Same goes for playing Zynga games etc. which will sell your information forward.

Where is the line between blaming facebook and personally responsibility?  Don't put "Going on vacation!  Outta town for 2 weeks!!!" as your status, don't put your home address up, don't set your passwords as your pet's name!  Isn't this Internet 101? 

Folks, play nice.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »
Where is the line between blaming facebook and personally responsibility?  Don't put "Going on vacation!  Outta town for 2 weeks!!!" as your status, don't put your home address up, don't set your passwords as your pet's name!  Isn't this Internet 101? 

99.999% of people who live for facebook are still learning the first 2 of internet 101.