Author Topic: Wow. Awesome WWII pilot interview  (Read 665 times)

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
Re: Wow. Awesome WWII pilot interview
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
"Peterson flew 150 missions over Europe, shooting down 15 enemy planes and helping to shoot down another. He became a major at age 21, at the time the youngest person to achieve that rank in the Army Air Force, his son said.

He was later awarded the Air Medal, the Silver Star and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He also received the Croix de Guerre, one of France's highest honors for bravery. After the war he was selected as a staff officer to interview Adolf Galland, commander of the German Air Force fighter forces, on aerial combat tactics and strategy.

Former pilot Roland R. Wright of Salt Lake City credits Peterson with saving his life. He said that one time he was ready to abandon his plane because it was running out of fuel, but Peterson spotted a field where he could land and refuel.

"He was one of the most skilled fliers," Wright said. "It was an all-out mission, and he was one of those who would fight tooth and nail. He was smart and he knew how to do it. He had a real sense of taking care of new pilots.""

From his obituary located here: http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/11603271.html
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
Flip it around to the 109 pilot, the bombs from that 10 man crew could have killed 100's of his countrymen, his family and friends, helpless on the ground just like the guys in the parachutes, sometimes you have to look at war with two sets of eyes, but like others said, it is a good video and shows war for what war really is
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
Dude, I want to call you a tree hugger or something, LOL.  Make love not war?  Stop the Violence maybe even....   :D

Flip it around to the 109 pilot, the bombs from that 10 man crew could have killed 100's of his countrymen, his family and friends, helpless on the ground just like the guys in the parachutes, sometimes you have to look at war with two sets of eyes, but like others said, it is a good video and shows war for what war really is

WAR IS HELL, but even HELL has rules. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
 :lol I am no tree hugger belive me, just ment that war isnt all peaches and cream like some movies make it out to be
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
"Peterson flew 150 missions over Europe, shooting down 15 enemy planes and helping to shoot down another. He became a major at age 21, at the time the youngest person to achieve that rank in the Army Air Force, his son said.

He was later awarded the Air Medal, the Silver Star and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He also received the Croix de Guerre, one of France's highest honors for bravery. After the war he was selected as a staff officer to interview Adolf Galland, commander of the German Air Force fighter forces, on aerial combat tactics and strategy.

Former pilot Roland R. Wright of Salt Lake City credits Peterson with saving his life. He said that one time he was ready to abandon his plane because it was running out of fuel, but Peterson spotted a field where he could land and refuel.

"He was one of the most skilled fliers," Wright said. "It was an all-out mission, and he was one of those who would fight tooth and nail. He was smart and he knew how to do it. He had a real sense of taking care of new pilots.""

From his obituary located here: http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/11603271.html

I remember seeing him tell this story at an earlier time to a different camera crew, and I remember thinking at the time it seemed like more of a tale than reality and wrote the guy off. But you post rather impressive credentials for the man, and it would be hard to see why a man and pilot so accomplished would make up a story like that. Still, perhaps after all his accomplishments, he still wanted a good story to tell at the conventions and air shows. I would love to believe this account as told. Any backup for this story from a wingman or fellow flyer?

Either way he is a hero and his service and record are to be reflected on with great admiration.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »

I agree with you, war is 2 ways, and always will be. Maybe the German pilot had family that was killed by an american bombing raid, and this was the way he could exact revenge on the American crews. Does that mean he should have done that, no. He could have kept shooting down bombers instead of bomber crews in their chutes. There are so many un-answered questions about this, that we do have to look at it both ways.   
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."