Author Topic: New antivirus  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: New antivirus
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
Viruses hide in many formats. I've had a couple infiltrate my PC hidden inside valid PDF files, believe it or not.

I don't install toolbars. I don't allow java (I do allow selected javascripting). I customized all my security settings. I don't install files, I don't allow automatic downloads.

I still get a virus or two. Why? Because I actually USE my computer. I use it for research. I go to webpages I've never been to before (and I'm fairly smart about how I do it). I'm fairly careful when it comes to this sort of thing and yet it still happens once in a long while. It's all well and fine to not have AV software if you never plan on using the PC for anything. Otherwise it's an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure. With some of the very low-resource-requiring AV programs there's no real reason not to have some basic level of free protection. Avast free home edition, for example.

My first experience with a virus was probably 20 years ago. Since then I've had enough experience to say with some certainty that you will only be safe from a virus if you isolate the computer from the rest of the world (that includes the Internet, intranet, LAN, everything), and never bring files in or take files out on any medium of any type. It makes for boring computing, though.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »
It is quite possible to run a computer without any anti-xxxx software and never have to deal with viruses/worms/malware.....

I do it.  I have never owned any of that software.  It takes discipline and a correctly configured computer.  If you shutdown the delivery mechanisms and never open attachments, it is quite easy (relatively speaking) to avoid the mess.

I have been on the Internet since the ARPANET days (around 30 years now) and have never had to deal with a virus.  I use the Internet everyday.  However, I would never recommend my configuration to anyone as I am quite happy to never see anything on Youtoob (as an example).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:36:59 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
Krusty, I watch you underestimate people's intelligence and knowledge all day on this forum.  You assume I don't do any of the same things you do on a daily basis.  I research, use bittorrent, download programs , administer servers among other things daily.  In fact, any virus worth anything has the ability to effectively cripple any anti-virus software.  I firmly believe anti-virus programs give a false sense of security, and that's when people start having problems.

Next time you post, make sure you post your opinion as an opinion, not as a "proven" fact.  If you don't agree with my opinion, fine, but acting like you know better is just a good way to piss people off.

On that note, I've said all I need to say about this, wont be posting here again.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
I've been browsing without anti-(insert name here) software for nearly two years. Not a single problem. As has been said, discipline, safe browsing habits, and scrutiny is required.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
SectorNine50, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings on the matter. You must have known you are an exception to the rule. Otherwise you would not have qualified your "I don't use AV" with a long explanation of how you get away without using AV. For the vast majority of people in the world and on the Internet, educated or uneducated, you must have known that you were not a normal sample with regards to AV use.

That said, you brought it up. Fair enough. Why? Bragging, providing an alternative view, whatever... they're all valid and I won't look down on ya for posting about it. However, implying it's the route to go for normal Internet users is wrong.

Unless you're going to preface it with "Now, if you can restrict how and where you go on the Internet, go without a number of things you may be used to, if you can operate a machine with total discipline, I have an alternative that might work" then you are the one that has not taken into account others' experiences and knowledge.

I fully well can appreciate your knowledge and expertise, as well as Skuzzy's (note, he's made a similar claim). However, if Skuzzy came out and said "you all shouldn't use AV. It's a waste. Just don't do anything, stop doing this, disable that, etc" I would have chimed in on him just as easily as I did on you. It's nothing personal, you're just wrong with regards to how most of the world uses and abuses the Internet.

For most people it would be highly advisable to have a good AV software. REGARDLESS of how they operate. For the few that can operate without, more power to them. They are not the majority, nor are they typical.

I do not mean to cast doubts upon your ability or expertise. Your advise, nonetheless, is still bad for most people on this forum.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
Unfortunately, I have to post again.

SectorNine50, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings on the matter. You must have known you are an exception to the rule. Otherwise you would not have qualified your "I don't use AV" with a long explanation of how you get away without using AV. For the vast majority of people in the world and on the Internet, educated or uneducated, you must have known that you were not a normal sample with regards to AV use.

A) Never hurt my feelings, I don't care if someone disagrees, just stop posting like you are the authority on the matter.  Post your opinion, feel free to debate, but my god man, don't say "you are wrong" when I, and others have evidence that it is not as ridiculous as it sounds!

B) I do not think I am an exception to any rule.  Like I said, my personal belief is that people have been lulled into the false security of anti-virus programs being secure all the time every time.  This is what gets people into trouble more than anything!  I cannot count how many times I've had someone come to me with a virus saying "I thought my anti-virus would catch it if it were bad."  However, it does only take once for people to understand that anti-virus isn't invulnerable, so I suppose that is the learning curve.

That said, you brought it up. Fair enough. Why? Bragging, providing an alternative view, whatever... they're all valid and I won't look down on ya for posting about it. However, implying it's the route to go for normal Internet users is wrong.

Bragging?  No.  Alternative view, absolutely.  The bolded is another "authoritative" statement, watch out for those.

Unless you're going to preface it with "Now, if you can restrict how and where you go on the Internet, go without a number of things you may be used to, if you can operate a machine with total discipline, I have an alternative that might work" then you are the one that has not taken into account others' experiences and knowledge.

And I quote:
"Surf smart, don't download CRAP (toolbars, etc.), pay attention to what program installers are doing (if there is a checkbox, read what it's doing, more often than not it's trying to install something else), and most importantly, don't install something unless it's from a credible source (opening .exe's from co-worker and/or family e-mails are not considered a credible source).  Actually good rule of thumb: don't open executable that come in e-mails."

I fully well can appreciate your knowledge and expertise, as well as Skuzzy's (note, he's made a similar claim). However, if Skuzzy came out and said "you all shouldn't use AV. It's a waste. Just don't do anything, stop doing this, disable that, etc" I would have chimed in on him just as easily as I did on you. It's nothing personal, you're just wrong with regards to how most of the world uses and abuses the Internet.

Never once did I say you should stop.  I said I decided that it was a waste.  If you really want to nit-pick into what I said, this is the one time I used the word "you":

"A good browser (Firefox is my preference) and perhaps spybot search and destroy are the only two things you should ever need (I don't even have spybot installed anymore)."

Could have been:

"A good browser (Firefox is my preference) and perhaps spybot search and destroy are the only two things I ever need (I don't even have spybot installed anymore)."

For most people it would be highly advisable to have a good AV software. REGARDLESS of how they operate. For the few that can operate without, more power to them. They are not the majority, nor are they typical.

I do not mean to cast doubts upon your ability or expertise. Your advise, nonetheless, is still bad for most people on this forum.

The bold is how you could have responded first.

The italics are how you actually responded.  No one person's idea is bad, lay down information, let people decide for themselves.

When you reply to an opinion like this:
That's just the wrong approach to take. There are a number of VERY good AV programs out there. Leaving yourself open won't help. It's a fact of computing life these days.

I would avoid Symantec.... It's the same rubbish as Norton. Won't stop a stiff fart in the wind, let alone most viruses.

Avast or Eset. One of those. Your choice.

People will get pissed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:41:22 PM by SectorNine50 »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
...On that note, I've said all I need to say about this, wont be posting here again.

Next time, let me be the liaison. ;)
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
Next time, let me be the liaison. ;)

I know... :bhead

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »
I would avoid Symantec.... It's the same rubbish as Norton. Won't stop a stiff fart in the wind, let alone most viruses. Avast or Eset. One of those. Your choice.

Aside from the arguments on whether or not A/V software is really needed, how about you post some proof that Symantec is any worse than Avast?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
I use eset, I am carefull about which sites i go to.  have firefox with lots of addon for extra security.  when searching info on pages I dont know, then i use sandie box.

true you can get away without using an anti-virus then again you gotta be in skuzzy mode  :D.  anti-virus programs do give a false sense of security to some people.  then again they look to go into bittorrent and d/l every single program/movie/crap out there.  I always said, nothing is free, except sex and for that we have the free clinic  :bolt:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
I've been running for almost 3 years now with just Threatfire, no antivirus. I've had one virus in that time, threatfire popped up and said it was suspect, I said, no I know what I'm doing, well there was a virus hidden in the .exe file I was running and I ended up reformating. So now when Threatfire says quarantine, I do.

But as skuzzy said it takes control.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
You have always a v i r u s when you use an anti-v i r u s and you don't know how it works!

If i think how much time some anti-v i r u s scan
hard drives - some of them do this with no pause - I became mad!

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
Well, I had Norton for ~4 years and never really had any problems with it, other than it's appetite for resources. I decided to go with the ESET NOD32 and have had it for about 15 days.

This morning I went to log on and found that something had completely taken over my computer. None of my exe.'s would work. I literally could do nothing so I turned it off.

I've since fired it up in Safe mode and then did a system restore to a point a few weeks ago. So far I can run like normal. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that this spyware is still lurking somewhere.

Gonna order a new HDD from newegg and try and dig up a good copy of XP.

I hate hackers.
See Rule #4

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
You do not own the CD key.  The only legal way to obtain a copy of a Microsoft operating system is to get it from Microsoft.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:48:10 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Aside from the arguments on whether or not A/V software is really needed, how about you post some proof that Symantec is any worse than Avast?

First... Wow sector went off the deep end, no?

Second... Tigger: Personal experience. For many years growing up my family had Norton and Symantec on our systems. Many times we had to live with an annoying (but innocuous) virus that popped up messages because the AV couldn't get rid of it. Even later in recent years I knew the difference and moved away. Personal anecdote: My mother had 2 viruses that her up to date and modern copy of Norton couldn't quarantine, clean, remove, or do anything about. It would try and fail repeatedly. She called me in.  Simply shutting down Norton and installing AVG Free edition (even without internet updates) easily found, cleaned, and removed the viruses.

At her request I uninstalled Norton (as best I could at the time without a reformat) and she's avoided it since.

That's just one of several similar stories. I get tasked to reformat my family's PCs or just update certain things and upkeep, and over time I've moved them all to better AV software. They're all happier and better off. All have had some viruses at some point and more than once when I installed simple, basic, AVG Free edition it would find something hiding that Norton or Symantec couldn't even spot. They've also since learned the usefulness of spybot and adaware through my prodding.

So the evidence is plain to anybody that's used Symantec or Norton for 10 years or so like I have. The software doesn't cut the mustard. It's a massive bloatware that does next to nothing. They only stop the beginner AOL script kiddie viruses.