Author Topic: New antivirus  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
New antivirus
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Well, the time has finally arrived. My subscription to Norton will be over in a couple days.  :rock

So here's my questions for how to handle the situation on my XP machine.

A) How do I get rid of this p.o.s. program from my machine. I mean I want it totally gone.

B) This is where I take recommendations for new AV software. Freeware is preferred, but I'll consider paying if it can be proven that said software is bulletproof and uber wonderbar.

Thanks in advance folks.

Salute, Melvin
See Rule #4

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
Re: New antivirus
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »
Do the uninstall via control panel first. Then GOOGLE nonav.exe (it's free) I don't know if it's still works for the newer versions, but at one time it removed all the registry entries and leftover files that weren't un installed by the OS. As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason not to use one of the freeware products for home use. There are a number of them out there..my suggestion would be to Google "free anti virus" and make a selection.

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
ESET Nod32 Antivirus 4,worth every penny.
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Well, the time has finally arrived. My subscription to Norton will be over in a couple days.  :rock

So here's my questions for how to handle the situation on my XP machine.

A) How do I get rid of this p.o.s. program from my machine. I mean I want it totally gone.

B) This is where I take recommendations for new AV software. Freeware is preferred, but I'll consider paying if it can be proven that said software is bulletproof and uber wonderbar.
Thanks in advance folks.

Salute, Melvin

regarding A:
to be absolutely positive that your Norton AV is completely removed with out any doubts, you will most likely have to reformat and reinstall your Windows XP OS..... although, their are some utility programs out there like "Your Un-Installer" and such which claim to completely remove all traces of a program you want removed from your PC, including left over short cut links, Registery entries, folders etc....

regarding B:
You say you might consider paying for an AntiVirus program if it can be proven to be "bullet proof"....... when it comes to the internet, anti virus programs, firewalls, etc... nothing is "Bullet Proof"..... some programs just work better than others

I would recommend purchasing "ESET Smart Security 4"  , I would shy away from the free AV programs.....

best of luck to ya
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
Best solution is to use OSX or linux for any daily browsing and dedicate XP/win7 only for games. That's what I do.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
What Ripley says is spot on. For removing Norton - there are tools on the symantec site to remove its progs/apps - whether they fully remove it or not is up for debate.

Eset nod 4 would be my recommendation - if you want to pay for it.

Freebies - avast/avg seem to be the most popular - but may interfere with your game playing.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
Best solution is to use OSX or linux for any daily browsing and dedicate XP/win7 only for games. That's what I do.
Amen. Takes a little work to get everything set up. But the results are worth it.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
What Ripley says is spot on. For removing Norton - there are tools on the symantec site to remove its progs/apps - whether they fully remove it or not is up for debate.

Eset nod 4 would be my recommendation - if you want to pay for it.

Freebies - avast/avg seem to be the most popular - but may interfere with your game playing.

Wurzel
Add to the freebies list Microsoft Security Essentials. Lightweight and a very good reputation in efficiency.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
I have eset nod 32 and it works great for me
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
If you can find an old copy of Symantec Anti-Virus 10.1 (The commercial version of Norton) that's what I recommend... well a combination of that and safe browsing habits.

SAV 10.1 doesn't work with Vista/7 but works great (and is still supported) with XP.  It's also exactly the opposite of the consumer product (Norton) in the way that it is lightweight and very efficient.

10.2 (which IS compatible with Vista/7) is when their corporate software started to become bloated just like their consumer software, so that I wouldn't recommend.

I found it HERE at amazon.

This is what I use on my XP machines.  On my Win7 machines I use Avast antivirus.  I've heard it's not the best antivirus software out there, but it's free and still reasonably lightweight.  Personally I feel that safe browsing habits works much better than any antivirus software ever will.  All I know is that I've had zero issues with anything slipping past Avast.

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »
If you can find an old copy of Symantec Anti-Virus 10.1 (The commercial version of Norton) that's what I recommend... well a combination of that and safe browsing habits.

SAV 10.1 doesn't work with Vista/7 but works great (and is still supported) with XP.  It's also exactly the opposite of the consumer product (Norton) in the way that it is lightweight and very efficient.

10.2 (which IS compatible with Vista/7) is when their corporate software started to become bloated just like their consumer software, so that I wouldn't recommend.

I found it HERE at amazon.

This is what I use on my XP machines.  On my Win7 machines I use Avast antivirus.  I've heard it's not the best antivirus software out there, but it's free and still reasonably lightweight.  Personally I feel that safe browsing habits works much better than any antivirus software ever will.  All I know is that I've had zero issues with anything slipping past Avast.

:aok i use 10.1 on my Vista laptop. works very well.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 12:57:41 PM »

But there is malware for OSX and it requires the same level of user interaction to get infected as Windows 7 or Vista. Only difference malware updates are far and few between for OSX as they are released in Apple updates.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
After years, I've decided that I have found no use in anti-virus software.  They are bloated and inefficient software that often causes more performance problems than anything else.  A good browser (Firefox is my preference) and perhaps spybot search and destroy are the only two things you should ever need (I don't even have spybot installed anymore).

Surf smart, don't download CRAP (toolbars, etc.), pay attention to what program installers are doing (if there is a checkbox, read what it's doing, more often than not it's trying to install something else), and most importantly, don't install something unless it's from a credible source (opening .exe's from co-worker and/or family e-mails are not considered a credible source).  Actually good rule of thumb: don't open executable that come in e-mails.

A company came to me that was having tons of computer issues.  After reformatting the computers, installing firefox, and not allowing the standard user the ability to install anything, problems went to zero.  You should see some of the stuff I find in the "downloads" folder of the computers.  Apparently they are still trying to install stuff...  Thank god they can't.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
That's just the wrong approach to take. There are a number of VERY good AV programs out there. Leaving yourself open won't help. It's a fact of computing life these days.

I would avoid Symantec.... It's the same rubbish as Norton. Won't stop a stiff fart in the wind, let alone most viruses.

Avast or Eset. One of those. Your choice.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
That's just the wrong approach to take. There are a number of VERY good AV programs out there. Leaving yourself open won't help. It's a fact of computing life these days.

I would avoid Symantec.... It's the same rubbish as Norton. Won't stop a stiff fart in the wind, let alone most viruses.

Avast or Eset. One of those. Your choice.

You say it like you have some authority on what the right approach is.

I've been virus, anti-virus, and software problem free for 8 years, I think my approach is working just fine.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D