Author Topic: P40B/E help  (Read 1224 times)

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
P40B/E help
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Are there any P40 sticks that have time to spare in the TA for some instruction ?
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: P40B/E help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
I am far, far from an expert on the P-40, but I do fly the P-40E a bit from time to time (typically a couple sorties a week).  If no one more qualified happens along I'd be happy to try and set something up.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »
Thanks Soulyss, I'm trying to figure out what you and Del taught me in the 38. BTW, I would have bought you a new monitor had you shorted yours out. :D
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
Am no expert my any means in any plane but I flew the P40E for weeks on end in the TA and some EW time.
I would say it is one of the best planes to fly. (Fighting with it is not quite the same thing).
Beautiful, balanced, strong and dives like a stone.   A little more engine power would be nice.
I suggest you get it up high and build up your speed.  Enter a fight from an alt advantage because you will need the zoom capabilities to egress up to a safe perch if your attack didn't kill/cripple your opponent.
The flaps are brilliant, you can drop the first notch at over 350.  Just be careful to retract them as soon as you can.  Keeping the kinetic e up in this plane is critical.
I had the convergence set to 225 (all guns) and used BnZ style of attack.

All the best TOMCAT.  Have fun with her.

<S> 
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »
You will find the E much more enjoyable in the MAs. The B is quite the challenge. For one, you're slower, climb worse, yet still have to get in closer to do damage with the .30cals. Getting in closer is hard when everything runs away.

Then there's the problem where they don't want to let you leave. I had numerous folks chase me down over TT/FT in a P-40B. Had to get some local cover to help me egress when I was rtb, otherwise I'd never have made it.

B is much more of a "I'm doing this as a personal challenge" type of ride. The E is rather pleasant, as Klam mentioned. With the .50cals, however, you can still reach out to 350 yards to pop somebody. Just note your ammo clip. Only slightly less than a P-51D. It's the same 267 rpg you find in historic P-47 loadouts as well.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
thanks gents, I would still like to get some time in TA with someone. Does Batfink fly P40 ?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
I'm sure he can fly it, but I don't really ever see him in it. It's not one of his normal choices.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
thanks gents, I would still like to get some time in TA with someone. Does Batfink fly P40 ?

You somehow have to pull 1Duke1 out of retirement.

- oldman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
I am not a p-40 expert, but i have a little time in the E model. Its very close to the 109 g-6, a bit better in downhill and a bit worse in uphill. Keep your flaps open and its just a nice ride. The only problem is how to catch the opponents.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »
I don't think it's like a 109 at all. 109s are vertical monsters. You WANT to take them up and let the enemy fall below. You cannot do that at all with a P-40E. You will bleed your E off and wallow in the mud. It does not regain E well, but the 109s do. Totally different flying styles.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »
I don't think it's like a 109 at all. 109s are vertical monsters. You WANT to take them up and let the enemy fall below. You cannot do that at all with a P-40E. You will bleed your E off and wallow in the mud. It does not regain E well, but the 109s do. Totally different flying styles.
Any plane can do well with vertical manuvers.  For example planes on your six you can go up inn a spiral clmib chop a little throthle and they will fly by it your guns if preformed correctly.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »
I'm sorry, but no.... Not every plane can do vertical manuvers well. Some are real pigs. Some bleed E and cannot regain it unless they dive for it. The P-40E can do vertical manuvers, yes... But it's nothing compared to the E-monster that the 109 series is.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:50:29 AM »
I suppose it may *seem* like every bird can do well in the vertical, especially if they already have a lot of speed built up, but IMHO you need good climbing power to be really good at the e game, which the P40E does not have.

I flew the P40E early on in my career and landed my first kills with it.  It's a solid plane but the margin for error is somewhat less than other rights.  It's very easy to find yourself in LOSS mode (low, slow, and stupid) if you're not careful.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »
I'm sorry, but no.... Not every plane can do vertical manuvers well. Some are real pigs. Some bleed E and cannot regain it unless they dive for it. The P-40E can do vertical manuvers, yes... But it's nothing compared to the E-monster that the 109 series is.
It still can be done.  If you take a plane up at the right angle and the other plane on your six doesn't have a shot you can spiral climb and eventually he will over shoot.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »
It still can be done.  If you take a plane up at the right angle and the other plane on your six doesn't have a shot you can spiral climb and eventually he will over shoot.
Hard to do with planes, such as P-40s, that have terrible climb rates.  Sure, you can try, but planes like the Spit VIII/XVI, Ki-84 or 109G-14/K-4 can just spiral on up while you can never bring your nose up enough for a shot.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-