Author Topic: Had fun but....  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
Had fun but....
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:52:03 PM »
But is it always HO, run and gang in the AvA, I really enjoy this set up and have fun flying in it but every single time I took off I was having great fights that would just dive into ack, or run to a buddie, or HO me, I know this sounds like a whine but I just want to know if there is a time I can fly in AvA that it isn't like this  :(
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
Re: Had fun but....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:02:24 AM »
just a part of the game  :cry
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
don't let it get you down mirage...the running to ack thing can be avoided easily by letting them get away from it before you attack...as for the ho, well some do some don't...i've learned to avoid them most of the time
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »
If you can find an arena free of that behavior, we'll all go there with you. :lol

Seriously, there are good nights and not so good nights.

Over all, I think the fights are a little bit cleaner than you'll find elsewhere, (no worse at least) but human nature is human nature.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:07 AM »
just a part of the game  :cry

When Ranger came out with the desert map, I made a point to fly in the AvA.

For the most part fights were clean and aircraft match-ups were even.

It didn't take long for that to all go down hill.

I guess I'll just stay in the corner and... :cry

I try to stop in when the setups change. I was in there last week, and it blew goats. Fly for a sector to get ganged, HO'd, or not find a fight at all.

Out of ten sorties, the highlight was Shane murdering me in two good fights. So exciting. :banana:
See Rule #4

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:38:43 AM »
Dont get me wrong, I will definatly be back, I had fun fighting shane tonight, even though I was in a much better plane he kept on coming back and giving great fights, the Terrain and the historacle match ups are great in the ava, and whenever there is a PTO setup, I promise I will try to make it in atleased once a night to fly around for the land of the rising sun  :salute
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:40:23 AM »
The important thing is that he had fun.  :aok

The guys that stick around and make the arena the most fun are the ones, like yourself that can take a few unsuccessful sortees and continue flying until they find the challenge enough to make the overall experience a positive one.

The Head On just might be a result of the no enemy icon situational awareness learning curve.  It is very easy to pick up a target within @ 37 degrees that could either be coming at you or simply hung.  So, what looks to be an easy pick from 6 oclock or 12 oclock high, many times turns out to be a pilot climbing / diving Head On.  With the difficulty in keeping eyes on a target, some (including myself on occasion) will take the shot rather than avoiding at the last minute and risking opening one's self up to the mercy of the other pilot.

Now, this is where I absolutely assure you, that if you wait for there to be more than 6 players in the arena before you log in, you are missing the absolute best that the Aces High has to offer in terms of fun.  Get more than 6 guys on, the fights tend to get a little more convoluted.  Morale of the story, if you want to have fun in the AvA, be the first one to arrive there and hang around for just a little bit.  :)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
if you fight against the regular crowd, hoing is at a minimum. the ack is turned way down so you can chase them into it! it takes about 20 hits from ack before it does any damage. if you see alot of hoing going on its probably people that are new to the arena from the MA's trying it out just like yourself. most of the regulars are a good fight. shane is a really good fight, if you can last more then 30 seconds against him. he usually dies if he gets picked or ganged not because of anything else. otherwise it is what it is and you have to take the good with the bad.

most regulars will ask if you need help and stay out of a fight if you ask them to. they wont ho(atleast not on the first pass) and gang is at a minimum. that can change depending on the situation, like a large furball, but for the most part its pretty civilized. again its not always like that so again you have to take the good with the bad.

when it gets crappy, i just leave and try it another night. we too can get frustrated with the gameplay but hey, its everyones dime to play the way they want.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
But is it always HO, run and gang in the AvA, I really enjoy this set up and have fun flying in it but every single time I took off I was having great fights that would just dive into ack, or run to a buddie, or HO me, I know this sounds like a whine but I just want to know if there is a time I can fly in AvA that it isn't like this  :(

i flew and died for 3 hours last night not a single ho, not a single gang, not a single vulch.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
When Ranger came out with the desert map, I made a point to fly in the AvA.

For the most part fights were clean and aircraft match-ups were even.

It didn't take long for that to all go down hill.

I guess I'll just stay in the corner and... :cry

I try to stop in when the setups change. I was in there last week, and it blew goats. Fly for a sector to get ganged, HO'd, or not find a fight at all.

Out of ten sorties, the highlight was Shane murdering me in two good fights. So exciting. :banana:

i don't get it? i never made it in last week, but i know it was a bob set up. those are usually some of the best set ups.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
those are usually some of the best set ups.

They are, last week included.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »
i must be missing something when i'm on...  :headscratch: rarely if ever see a gang...and it's usually in the heat of a good sized dogfight...but then i'll jump into situations where i'm the only 1 vs 3...rarely get ho'd, especially on the first pass...but then i view short angle front end deflection shots differently than most...have to consider it may not look like a ho shot from the other guys view...

the bob setup last week was a blast, and i usually dislike it!!!  :lol but i have got to learn how to fly those early brit planes better...got shot down way too many times from the engine cutting out  :ahand

oh and if you happen to see "lethrnek collided with you" in the text buffer...it wasn't intentional unless i see you trying to ho me...  :D
jarhed  

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
i must be missing something when i'm on...  :headscratch: rarely if ever see a gang...and it's usually in the heat of a good sized dogfight...but then i'll jump into situations where i'm the only 1 vs 3...rarely get ho'd, especially on the first pass...but then i view short angle front end deflection shots differently than most...have to consider it may not look like a ho shot from the other guys view...

the bob setup last week was a blast, and i usually dislike it!!!  :lol but i have got to learn how to fly those early brit planes better...got shot down way too many times from the engine cutting out  :ahand

oh and if you happen to see "lethrnek collided with you" in the text buffer...it wasn't intentional unless i see you trying to ho me...  :D

hey.....sorry to have to run out on you last night........i was beat up too bad.....both in the game, and in rl. my back/shoulder was killing me.

i don't normally have any back problems bad enough to keep me away.....but i think i pulled a muscle at work, and it's causing severe shoulder pain.......gettin better, though
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
hey no prob cap...was good to catch you in there for once...

as old as you are, you should be taking it a bit easier...you're not 21 and immortal anymore...  :lol
jarhed  

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
i flew and died for 3 hours last night not a single ho, not a single gang, not a single vulch.

+1, except it was the other night, good fun good fights and none of the above probs.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.