Author Topic: Had fun but....  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Had fun but....
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »
Dont get me wrong, I will definatly be back, I had fun fighting shane tonight, even though I was in a much better plane he kept on coming back and giving great fights, the Terrain and the historacle match ups are great in the ava, and whenever there is a PTO setup, I promise I will try to make it in atleased once a night to fly around for the land of the rising sun  :salute

Glad to hear that Mirage.  First few nights in a no-icon environment can be disturbing, and until people get used to it it CAN lead to ganging because no one sees the other dots until they're in the middle of the action.  You'll see what I mean as time goes by.

Shane is in a class by himself.  We all can learn much from him.

- oldman

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
I taught him a few things in a zero last night  ;) but he was pulling some pretty good moves in an F4F
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
it was good to see you in the arena mirage...fun stuff
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
It was alot better tonight, I will admit that I even found myself ack running with a Pw, so I have to take back what I said before, when I first went in, I was tired and a bit agrivated from a ram in the scenario, but coming in to the AvA being my normal self, It was one of the best flying experiences I have had on AH so far  :salute
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »
It was alot better tonight, I will admit that I even found myself ack running with a Pw, so I have to take back what I said before, when I first went in, I was tired and a bit agrivated from a ram in the scenario, but coming in to the AvA being my normal self, It was one of the best flying experiences I have had on AH so far  :salute

ack running is usles in the ava. it's turned down.

with most regulars, simply call that you're pw.....most of us will turn off target. i think lethrnek just did that for me last night in fact.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »
I've been having a great time in the PTO setup, and have been in a lot of really fun fights. I flew allied first night (#s), then went IJN all night tonight (balance again). I didn't observe anyone taking cheesy HOs on me when flying the zeke. I think the usual rules apply if you are flying a zero:
1) In a 1 v 1 fight, you're in heaven.
2) there is no such thing as a 1v1 fight
3) forget the swivel, keep your head on a spinning top.
4) if you lock onto an F4F, the other one will kill you. fast.
5) you can't afford to take ANY hits
6) stay low. altitude is only danger to a zero. same with speed. at 15 ft AGL, they can't turn nose low, they can't dive away.
7) hold fire until 100 yards.
8) only fire cannons. BBs will just make you think you are hitting.
9) consider an RTB to a nice present out of the blue: if you get one, great! If you don't, big deal. You probably died with a smile on your face.
10) Did I mention keep up SA?

It is ridiculously easy to get multiple-kill sorties when flying F4F vs zero. For one thing, with default skins, zero is way easy to see, F4F is very hard to see, and P39 is virtually invisible against the ground. But the main reason is that it takes a while for a zero to kill any allied plane, but takes 1 snapshot to kill a zero. Not even a good one. So, my recommendation is to set your expectations accordingly.

PS: Taking an HO (not dead on mind you, but FQ deflection shooting) is EXACTLY the right tactic when flying F4F vs Zero. I would also echo what was said about mistaking closing speeds. I've been out of flight simming for a while, and I find I do a crappy job of figuring out what direction the enemy in front of me is going sometimes.

Anyway, I've had great fun in here, and a big <S> to everyone on both sides. Seemed very civil ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!").

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »
Didn't read all the replies but.............  Might as well be the MA, no?  AvA gives us something that I do find interesting..... If I could only talk my CO(s) into going to AvA more often, I think I'd find it very satisfactory.

But is it always HO, run and gang in the AvA, I really enjoy this set up and have fun flying in it but every single time I took off I was having great fights that would just dive into ack, or run to a buddie, or HO me, I know this sounds like a whine but I just want to know if there is a time I can fly in AvA that it isn't like this  :(
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 12:25:44 AM »
hey guys. Consider this... if you get HO'd, vulched, picked, etc: Consider it a challenge to overcome. If they HO, you can roll out of it or attack from another angle. Get ganged? Kill THEM ALL!!! Get vulched? Up from another base and make them run for their lives! Getting picked? Wait for your moment and kill them! :aok

All these easy kill moves are just more challenges to me and easy ones to overcome except the ganging and even then it depends on their skill if i live or not. If it provides me a challenge, i LOVE it... i dont whine! :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »
ganging is easy too. from my point of view, if you see a guy going at it 1 v 1, ask if he needs help. if he doesn't, just keep on flying to the next guy or loiter away from the fight til one of them dies. if its the bad guy, keep on going, if its the good guy, then jump in.
if you see 2 V 1, make it a point to just keep on flying. basically its this, if its a even fight,  ask, if it isn't, just keep on going. 

I'm not telling anyone how to play, just stating how I play the game.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Didn't read all the replies but.............  Might as well be the MA, no?  AvA gives us something that I do find interesting..... If I could only talk my CO(s) into going to AvA more often, I think I'd find it very satisfactory.

keep at it. i keep spamming the 80th about it......and i've heard rumors that there's been up to 5 sapp'rs in there at one time.

they will be assimilated.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
keep at it. i keep spamming the 80th about it......and i've heard rumors that there's been up to 5 sapp'rs in there at one time.

they will be assimilated.  :devil

maybe the next map will have the P-38??? please

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
maybe the next map will have the P-38??? please

the one i'm working on won't have p-38's unfortuantly, but it'll be fun none-the-less.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
one i am working on has the 38gs  :devil :devil :devil
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
one i am working on has the 38gs  :devil :devil :devil
woohooooo!!! :aok :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
I've been having a great time in the PTO setup, and have been in a lot of really fun fights. I flew allied first night (#s), then went IJN all night tonight (balance again). I didn't observe anyone taking cheesy HOs on me when flying the zeke. I think the usual rules apply if you are flying a zero:
1) In a 1 v 1 fight, you're in heaven.
2) there is no such thing as a 1v1 fight
3) forget the swivel, keep your head on a spinning top.
4) if you lock onto an F4F, the other one will kill you. fast.
5) you can't afford to take ANY hits
6) stay low. altitude is only danger to a zero. same with speed. at 15 ft AGL, they can't turn nose low, they can't dive away.
7) hold fire until 100 yards.
8) only fire cannons. BBs will just make you think you are hitting.
9) consider an RTB to a nice present out of the blue: if you get one, great! If you don't, big deal. You probably died with a smile on your face.
10) Did I mention keep up SA?

It is ridiculously easy to get multiple-kill sorties when flying F4F vs zero. For one thing, with default skins, zero is way easy to see, F4F is very hard to see, and P39 is virtually invisible against the ground. But the main reason is that it takes a while for a zero to kill any allied plane, but takes 1 snapshot to kill a zero. Not even a good one. So, my recommendation is to set your expectations accordingly.

PS: Taking an HO (not dead on mind you, but FQ deflection shooting) is EXACTLY the right tactic when flying F4F vs Zero. I would also echo what was said about mistaking closing speeds. I've been out of flight simming for a while, and I find I do a crappy job of figuring out what direction the enemy in front of me is going sometimes.

Anyway, I've had great fun in here, and a big <S> to everyone on both sides. Seemed very civil ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!").

Well said, sir! :aok  A good run down on the basics of acm (that work in any aircraft match up). :salute  

All gave some, Some gave all