Author Topic: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station  (Read 9768 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
I think the part people are not prepared for is how tough this plane is going to be. think p47, f6f hellcat toughness and multiply that toughness by a billion and thats likely where the b29 will be.

the report from the p61 black widow emptying its full ammunition clip into an unmanned b29 to down it and still barely denting it makes me think a 109k4 will not even dent this with anything but a cockpit shot.

50 cals will likely be useless as well.

about the only thing with the firepower would be a 190a8 or ta152 and then just barely would they probably get one down out of the formation if they survived the defensive fire.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
I think the part people are not prepared for is how tough this plane is going to be. think p47, f6f hellcat toughness and multiply that toughness by a billion and thats likely where the b29 will be.

the report from the p61 black widow emptying its full ammunition clip into an unmanned b29 to down it and still barely denting it makes me think a 109k4 will not even dent this with anything but a cockpit shot.

about the only thing with the firepower would be a 190a8 or ta152 and then just barely would they probably get one down out of the formation if they survived the defensive fire.

I don't expect it to be that tough. After all, Japanese fighters did manage to kill a few of them. B-29's in AH may be stronger than other buffs, but a stream of .50 cal will still remove their wings.  It won't be "10 times more tough than a B-17" or so.

On a side note, if the B-29 is flying at optimum alt in AH, the 190A8 is largely out of play.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
I wonder if the issues with the different trajectories of the 20mm and .50 caliber rounds that made aiming difficult in combat situations will be inherent with the tail gun?  After all, that was the main reason why the 20mm cannon was removed early in the production run of the B-29 and B-29A.

ack-ack
I don't know, if the video showing the devastating firepower coming out of the tailgun is accurate... :O  See a whole lotta B29s landing 3-4 kills plus 13K damages.  :salute

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member

Great, now everyone will be complaining about how so and so HO'd their B29.  :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
See a whole lotta B29s landing 3-4 kills plus 13K damages.  :salute

If we get indeed the 40x500lbs loadout, a player could - in theory- land >160,000 points of displayed damage

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
13k damage is nothing i can do that in a B17 i see 50k+ damage

RedTail

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Great, now everyone will be complaining about how so and so HO'd their B29.  :salute

A HO will be difficult to set up vs B-29's at alt.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
If we get indeed the 40x500lbs loadout, a player could - in theory- land >160,000 points of displayed damage

Just the person to ask.

How is the damge points figured? Is there an algorythm out there?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Keep in mind that was just from left wing tip to center line of the aircraft. As well as a 3 foot hole in the pilots area from a direct flack hit. Here is the story again for those who have not seen it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Just the person to ask.

How is the damge points figured? Is there an algorythm out there?

It has to do with the number of objects and the damage afflicted to them, but the algorithm I do not know. I only know that it's not influenced by ENY or plane OBJ, and bears no direct relation to score points.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Now if we could just carpet bomb Endor. :D
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Looks like the bomb bay doors open much slower than the real thing. :headscratch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuCmC3gMBLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjmO5YdNOc&feature=related

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Keep in mind that was just from left wing tip to center line of the aircraft. As well as a 3 foot hole in the pilots area from a direct flack hit. Here is the story again for those who have not seen it.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

crazy tough bird :) :)

:aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Sure doesn't look like my Beaufighter? :huh
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
I wonder if the issues with the different trajectories of the 20mm and .50 caliber rounds that made aiming difficult in combat situations will be inherent with the tail gun?  After all, that was the main reason why the 20mm cannon was removed early in the production run of the B-29 and B-29A.
I thought the 20mm was removed because it suffered from jamming up too often?....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns