Author Topic: settings prosposal  (Read 3456 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: settings prosposal
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
personally, i when i get spanked by the same person over and over, i find it very frustrating to watch someone land 4-5 kills. shutting off kill messages wouldnt hurt my feeling any.
*looking at shane and shuffler*...see what you done now?  :lol

i vote we kill the name in lights setting...none of us are scoretards anyway so it shouldn't matter one way or the other
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »
we have "instaboom" we only use it when absolutely necessary, if at all.

so... those inexplicable dumps to desktop (with no warning) were necessary as opposed to personal?  how convenient.  thanks for the reminder/headsup. 

think I'll ask skuzzy to check the logs - curious about those CTDs now...

:noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »

i vote we kill the name in lights setting...none of us are scoretards anyway so it shouldn't matter one way or the other

why "kill" when there's an opt-out feature?

interesting how the AvA has chosen to ignore (and deny) the very player-tools HTC provides (not the overall arena tools) and try to enforce their own veiws/preferences on others who pay the same money.

I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
So squelching channel one can eliminate seeing chat but will also eliminate seeing <S>?

right  you'd miss out on any and all ch1 activity.  you can still salute on ch 200 or PM - you just have to type it out.

I've never cared for faux <S>....  if anything I'll toss out a simple :o) occasionally (and I'm much more "attaboy" in the DA in duels/teaching because its the effort I'm encouraging.... effort... and my own definition of it of course.  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
why "kill" when there's an opt-out feature?

interesting how the AvA has chosen to ignore (and deny) the very player-tools HTC provides (not the overall arena tools) and try to enforce their own veiws/preferences on others who pay the same money.
so your ego is so big you want to keep the name in lights thing in the ava, even though no one cares about score?  or am i reading that wrong? :headscratch:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
so your ego is so big you want to keep the name in lights thing in the ava, even though no one cares about score?  or am i reading that wrong? :headscratch:

not at all.... apparently your brain is too small to comprehend what I was saying....

landed messages = a toggable player option.  

are you saying the AvA should be overbearing and force on (or remove) a purely player preference option?

If *I* don't want to see landed messages, *I* can shut it off, which *I* generally do. (this means I don't even see my own landed msgs.)

If *I* want to see them, *I* can leave it on.

yes?   :banana:

one thing HT mostly realizes that the AvA is slow to grasp:  you cannot "legislate" gameplay in a melee type environment.

edit - more people care about score than you might think, for a variety of motivations. I don't give it a whole lot of thought other than checking some stat categories for myself (and occasionally others to get a feel for their style).  But again, caring or not caring is an *individual* choice.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:27:48 AM by Shane »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »

Wrong. If that were the case these discussions would happen on private forum.

What the AvA is trying to do is create the best, unique environment they can, to stand out more from the other arenas.

Most recently you have been flying in the arena for about a week now.

A year and a half ago you would have been in there pretty much by yourself.

If the more recent changes had been made to a popular healthy arena, your point would be more valid.

All the AvA people, the new ones and the one's you know from CT would turn the icons back on like you wish if they felt it would be more popular than the current settings.

Personally, I don't want to see kill messages disabled and now that I know channel 1 can be squelched I am rethinking my position on that.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
so... those inexplicable dumps to desktop (with no warning) were necessary as opposed to personal?  how convenient.  thanks for the reminder/headsup.  

its never been used on you, that i know of. we can only ground or eject. sheesh, relax dude we're not out to get you! if you got dumped to you desktop, it was your computer. it happens to me too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:47:50 AM by captain1ma »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »

bolded +1
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
Wrong. If that were the case these discussions would happen on private forum.

What the AvA is trying to do is create the best, unique environment they can, to stand out more from the other arenas.

Most recently you have been flying in the arena for about a week now.

A year and a half ago you would have been in there pretty much by yourself.

If the more recent changes had been made to a popular healthy arena, your point would be more valid.

All the AvA people, the new ones and the one's you know from CT would turn the icons back on like you wish if they felt it would be more popular than the current settings.

Personally, I don't want to see kill messages disabled and now that I know channel 1 can be squelched I am rethinking my position on that.

Just so you know... I have more time in the AvA (going back to when it was called "Combat Theatre") than you probably have in-game. Just like TC I have seen the AvA go thrrough ups and downs in terms of occupancy and settings. As a matter of interest, Jager's skwad came in back when and did teh very lame things TC alluded to and they were very much about "score/rank." Apparently, his attitude has evolved beyond that.

Currently we have inmates in charge of the prison, wheer dissent is suppressed/beaten down.

If *you* want to feel superior and fly without icons, *you* can turn them off *yourself.* Not everyone has the system to minize the "blindness"  My system is well within HTC's reccommended specs and it's a still often a struggle to see... I've been forced to game my gamma and run with minimum settings just to get a little more visibility.  

I still do alright.. and that's only one aspect of the no-icons I dislike. I'll repeat myself and say friendly-only icons encourages ganging and provides friendlies with far more information that an enemy flying right next to him will obtain.

Right now, I bet 99.9% use the map/ dot dar as onboard radar... how immersive.

Why not man up and go full immersion? No dot dar (darbar only) and no icons whatsoever?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:48:45 AM by Shane »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
so... those inexplicable dumps to desktop (with no warning) were necessary as opposed to personal?  how convenient.  thanks for the reminder/headsup. 

dunno what you said or did that you think you got booted......but i got an auto warning a few days ago for typing b*tch........i think warnings work fine.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
its never been used on you, that i know of. we can only ground or eject. sheesh, relax dude we're not out to get you! if you got dumped to you desktop, it was your computer. it happens to me too.

yeah but it's only happened in the AvA (I do have psu issues that have locked me up requiribng a re-boot, but not a simple CTD) and only when I was going at it on Ch1 and only when a staffer was present.

I know *you* would be very careful in handling me, plus you have prior experience with me, as does Oldman... some of the others however.... :noid   inmates in charge of the prison.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
Just so you know... I have more time in the AvA (going back to when it was called "Combat Theatre") than you probably have in-game.

I am aware of that.

As do Oldman, Fork and Soda.

They are the one's really in charge, not the more recent additions. Do you really think that anything gets changed without the consensus of the senior staffers?

Oh and by the way, I have never muted, grounded or ejected any player.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:03:32 AM by jimson »

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
What size PSU Shane, I've got some here I can ship to you if you need one?

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »
yeah but it's only happened in the AvA (I do have psu issues that have locked me up requiribng a re-boot, but not a simple CTD) and only when I was going at it on Ch1 and only when a staffer was present.

I know *you* would be very careful in handling me, plus you have prior experience with me, as does Oldman... some of the others however.... :noid   inmates in charge of the prison.

i try to not judge people by here, or too much in the game. i made that mistake once. i probably missed out on maknig a lot of good friends because of this. those whom i'm referencing know who/what i'm talking about. i took a 6 month break. no i'm leaving threads, no i need a break threads....just stopped flying, and let my subscription expire
 when i came back, and re-upped, i came back with a more "normal" attitude, and as mentioned, try to not judge people.

now on that same note, the same stuff i say here, or ingame to anyone, would be the same stuff i'd say to anyone should they be in the same room.....'cept there may be expletives added, since i can't get away with them in the game.........

the other thing about me, is that at the ripe old age of 48, i still have frequent malfunctions of the thought filtering device.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"