Author Topic: Magic Flaps!!  (Read 3555 times)

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
Magic Flaps!!
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »

Flying with Flaps up in non increased lift position: When there shot off there is no change in flight behavioristics, until you attempt to apply a notch or more,nothing happens, and also no change in behavioristics. I believe this is TOON correct; although I believe there is actually a decrease in overall wing loading, creating less lift, IMO this is correct at least for toon planes. no issue here.

Flying with Flaps DOWN in an IN-creased lift position: When they are shot off, they are still creating more lift or wing load as if they were still there. only difference is you cant raise, or retract or, de-notch, or decrease the lift position.  ie.  full flap in scissors I get my arse handed but only loose 1 or both flaps. as I limp on home with my head between my knees, I can't get over ,say 150kts because of the extreme lift or drag that is occurring due to my non-existent flaps.  or 1 flap causing me to roll incredibly hard, mind you right flap gone, hard left hand roll. this is under no circumstances correct.

I only fly P-51 enough to notice the issue here. I'm unaware if the issue lies in other craft.       is there a way to code the flaps to a retracted position when they are shot off and no longer usable? or perhaps if they are only damaged but not missing, leave some sort of texture in place of the flap to indicate that it is mangled?    :headscratch:  :confused:
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Magic Flaps!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
Graphically the flap is shot off but what is actually happening as far as the flight model is concerned is the flap is jammed/stuck in what ever position it was in when the damage occurred.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
Obviously HTC should somehow nerf the P51...  Obviously!   :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »
Graphically the flap is shot off but what is actually happening as far as the flight model is concerned is the flap is jammed/stuck in what ever position it was in when the damage occurred.

ok thats acceptable , it's just hard to comprehend since there in nothing there. maybe in a future 51 update if there ever will be... something could be different. what ever is easiest for AH. I love the modeling, thats the real only major malfunctions i've noticed  <S>

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
Hasn't this flap damage model been like this since before AH2?
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
Hasn't this flap damage model been like this since before AH2?

sorry I had a feeling this would be said.. think of it as a subtle reminder.  :bolt:

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:22:31 AM »
sorry I had a feeling this would be said.. think of it as a subtle reminder.  :bolt:

A subtle reminder that you do not comprehend how flap damage works?

Noted.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:41 AM »
A subtle reminder that you do not comprehend how flap damage works?

Noted.

wrongway
Considering the BS flap damage model it's easy to see how people would get confused.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:47:06 AM by sunfan1121 »
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:07:15 AM »
Wait a moment.....  You're flying a Pony..... And you're losing the scissor?  NO WAY!!!
 :headscratch:

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
I only fly P-51 enough to notice the issue here. I'm unaware if the issue lies in other craft.     

All planes suffer this when flaps are destroyed.  To counter the roll on the dead flap side, lower the remaining flap to the same position as the damaged one and you will have full and stable control of your plane.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »
ok thats acceptable , it's just hard to comprehend since there in nothing there. maybe in a future 51 update if there ever will be... something could be different. what ever is easiest for AH. I love the modeling, thats the real only major malfunctions i've noticed  <S>

It's always been that way, and I believe it's consistent with all the 3D models.  Why they just fall off/disappear and don't show as stuck I couldn't say although I assume there's a reason for it.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »
Wait a moment.....  You're flying a Pony..... And you're losing the scissor?  NO WAY!!!
 :headscratch:

To a JUG, yes  ;)

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »
LLogan, JUGGler,,   I'm working hard at mastering my cartoon pony and Its capabilities! I will soon, and you will be the ones of many to see the results once they are accomplished!  :airplane:
good or bad... ;)

I enjoy working with the many veterans of AH and learning the skills they put forth to succeed in this cartoon simulation world.

Also I am not by any means an expert on "CARTOON" airplanes, but there is speculation, particularly with the p-51 (since that is what I fly, that is what I hear) from written sources of capability and performance that are not up to "PAR" in this simulated world. If I may ask that the pony be reassessed and have any, and hopefully subtle changes to make it perform closer to its documented charts.    as I said this is speculated and hearsay. so with the experts that are hear maybe they can clarify that it needs some adjustments or not would be fantastic and maybe then we can provide the dispute with Dale, or "Skuzzy."       :angel:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »

Also I am not by any means an expert on "CARTOON" airplanes, but there is speculation, particularly with the p-51 (since that is what I fly, that is what I hear) from written sources of capability and performance that are not up to "PAR" in this simulated world. If I may ask that the pony be reassessed and have any, and hopefully subtle changes to make it perform closer to its documented charts.    as I said this is speculated and hearsay. so with the experts that are hear maybe they can clarify that it needs some adjustments or not would be fantastic and maybe then we can provide the dispute with Dale, or "Skuzzy."       :angel:

What is wrong with the P-51s flight model?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
It does not do 500 on the deck.  It does not have 4 x 20mms.  It will not outclimb a K4.  It will not out turn a zeke.  It will not out loop a P-38.  It will not fly 550 at 20k. 

Other than that, nothing.   :joystick:
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum