Author Topic: Magic Flaps!!  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Magic Flaps!!
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
The pitching moment from flaps is wrong in a lot of the planes in game.  HiTech recently gave me a way to fix this but I haven't implemented it yet.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
Oooh... this will be interesting...

I wonder if we'll start to see planes that people DON'T want to deploy flaps on when trying to pull a lead... :confused:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »
Doubt it. It's not like flaps will stop producing lift. People will still use them, but perhaps differently.

When Pyro implements this new 'flap code' (in say, I dunno... 2 weeks?) then pitching moment will be produced about an axis such that the nose will pitch down, but the lift is still there to use.

Can't wait til' the flaps are fixed, Pyro!   :D
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »
The pitching moment from flaps is wrong in a lot of the planes in game.  HiTech recently gave me a way to fix this but I haven't implemented it yet.

thank very much for the acknowledgment of this thread and see it for the purpose it was intended.   :salute
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
Doubt it. It's not like flaps will stop producing lift. People will still use them, but perhaps differently.

When Pyro implements this new 'flap code' (in say, I dunno... 2 weeks?) then pitching moment will be produced about an axis such that the nose will pitch down, but the lift is still there to use.

Can't wait til' the flaps are fixed, Pyro!   :D

Right, but one of the beautiful things about the flaps on something like the pony (which by the sounds of it, won't change), is that when you dropped the flaps, the nose coming up gave you a lead on your target.  If the nose comes down, your going to have to reef on those elevators to pull lead.  Therefor, they won't be as useful from an attacking standpoint, but you are probably right, they would be still as effective in a defensive maneuvering standpoint.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
Well, like everything in aerospace technology, nothing works the same way in every flight regime.

Perhaps this pitch down is caused not only by lift being produced behind the aerodynamic center of the airfoil, but also in part due to the sudden increase in drag the flaps impart when they drop. Maybe if you're pulling lead like a madman, perhaps the flaps don't pitch you down as aggressively since you're pulling up on the stick.

Also for the P-51, it is to my belief that the laminar flow airfoil (which has its maximum thickness moved more aft than most airfoils at the time), the pitch down may be less obvious, especially when the CoG is far aft, such as a full rear fuel tank condition.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:12:23 PM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »
I see what you are saying, and I suppose like everything, only time will tell. :)

Although, I will say, in terms of the pony, every notch of added flap does pick the nose up, even with the AUX tank empty.  However, I don't know what contribution combat trim has in this.

I'm excited to see these changes, I like when things become more realistic, even if it makes an aircraft more difficult. :x

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2011, 12:07:25 AM »
I see what you are saying, and I suppose like everything, only time will tell. :)

Although, I will say, in terms of the pony, every notch of added flap does pick the nose up, even with the AUX tank empty.  However, I don't know what contribution combat trim has in this.

I'm excited to see these changes, I like when things become more realistic, even if it makes an aircraft more difficult. :x

I never use the combat trim so its effect to work against the flaps should be nil to none  :salute

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

Is this something that may be implemented in the near future? say two weeks? needing to take a school break, catch up,  I would like to be back asap if this is to be addressed.   :joystick:

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
I will have to say that the Russian pilots were trash, even though they had good planes.

wow......... just wow.

:huh
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »
wow......... just wow.

:huh

I try not to feed in such negativity, but thanks for pointing it out :rolleyes:

Offline RobMo68

• Nickel Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
Trim tabs for teh win! :O
Speed68a
Special Forces Wing: POTW nUb:"Get outta my mud, biotch"

+~WARPIGS RACING~+
ERL S3R9 Winner

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »
Is this something that may be implemented in the near future? say two weeks? needing to take a school break, catch up,  I would like to be back asap if this is to be addressed.   :joystick:
I'm sure most if not all of the community would like to see a more realistic flap model implemented. Ironically though, not many seem very into this thread. Perhaps it's the title.

At any rate, fixing the flaps on almost every plane (keep in mind that not all planes pitch down with flaps in RL) would take longer than 2 weeks. If it ever happens in the near future, it's likely to come out in v2.24.x with the remodeling of the next plane. And it's not going to be anytime within the next month. We'll have to give HTC a break; they JUST gave us the Superfort.
I am a Spitdweeb

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
I'm sure most if not all of the community would like to see a more realistic flap model implemented. Ironically though, not many seem very into this thread. Perhaps it's the title.

At any rate, fixing the flaps on almost every plane (keep in mind that not all planes pitch down with flaps in RL) would take longer than 2 weeks. If it ever happens in the near future, it's likely to come out in v2.24.x with the remodeling of the next plane. And it's not going to be anytime within the next month. We'll have to give HTC a break; they JUST gave us the Superfort.

Props to HTC and there progress and to you for pointing it out! I didn't mean to sound so hasty, I was just curious if this was really going to to be implemented as they said they may. I could never be dissatisfied with the routine that is involved with the modeling. after all this is the best MULTI PLAYER air combat simulator made as far as my opinions go.   :salute  as for the title; the thread was started for the damage model of the flaps, but progressed into pitch moment due to verbal communications in game. So I took it upon myself to at least put it down in writing here, for the purpose of recognition vs. just the talk in game.  :aok

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
I didn't mean to sound like a dictator myself. I just wish we as a community showed HTC more gratitude when it comes to all their hard work.

Anyway, when Pyro said that 'The pitching moment from flaps is wrong in a lot of the planes in game.  HiTech recently gave me a way to fix this but I haven't implemented it yet,' I saw that as a huge deal. I mean, it's a major modeling detail, and thankfully, it's likely to be fixed. I can't wait, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up too soon.
I am a Spitdweeb