Author Topic: B29 Flight Trials and Analysis  (Read 879 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
B29 Flight Trials and Analysis
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
I spent about 6 hours last night practicing flying the B29 at various alts, loadouts, and takeoff/landing procedures. On the following report, I used a single loadout configuration that works pretty well. I want to share this info to the community to help shed some light on the aircraft.

LOADOUT:
40 x 500 lb bombs
75% fuel
Large guns package (1000 rpg for 20mm)
Gross weight = ~120,000 lbs

TAKEOFF:
The most critical part about flying the B29 is understanding weight, climb rate, and speed. Using the above loadout configuration, I found a successful way to put your B29s in the air without crashing into the trees and other ground clutter. First of all, spawn from a large airfield, as it has the longest runway of all bases in game. Secondly, inspect the runway headings to chose which runway provides the most clearance for takeoff (IE: no trees, houses, etc.). Thirdly, learn to fly the B29 from the cockpit and pay very close attention to your instrument panel. All of the gauges on the panel will tell you everything you need to know.

1. Start engines. Apply brakes. Flaps should be fully RAISED.
2. With the brakes applied, increase to full throttle, then press "P" for takeoff power (WEP).
3. Release brakes. Apply small amounts of rudder to maintain correct compass/runway heading.
4. Your airspeed should be passing 110 IAS (indicated air speed) once you are halfway down the runway.
5. When you attain 125 mph IAS, begin pulling back on the stick, GENTLY of course. You want your nose to be about 10 degrees above the horizon. DO NOT drag the tail on the ground, as that will inevitably slow your aircraft down and increase your takeoff distance.
6. Once you reach 145 mph IAS, pull back on the stick a little bit more to pull up off of the ground. Check your climb rate gauge. You will want it to be around 1000 feet per minute. Keep the nose high for about 10-15 seconds. Be careful, as your nose is very bouncy at these low speeds. A smooth hand is required.
7. As soon as you are airborne, raise your gears immediately! The gears create a lot of drag. Speed is life, and the more speed you have, the better you are able to takeoff.
8. Once you are over 500 feet above ground level, gently push forward on the stick to put your nose level.
9. In level flight, build your speed up to about 200 IAS. Once you reach 200 IAS, you can safely initiate auto climb without the aircraft diving to the ground.
10. At 200 IAS, your airlerons will have enough control authority to roll left or right and change your course direction.

TARGET BOMB ALTITUDE:
This is purely the pilot's choice. You can bomb just as well at 15k as you can at 35k. If you plan to reach altitudes above 30k, you will need to allow yourself at least 45 total minutes of climb. Your sustained climb rate with the above loadout will start around 800 feet per minute (from 0k to 20k). It will take about 25 minutes or so to reach 20k. If you want to get to 30k, allow an additional 20 minutes of climb, because at 20k, your climb rate drops to below 500 feet per minute. And to 30k, your climb rate falls even more to about 300 feet per minute.

Once you have reached your target altitude, you will find that the B29 will quickly pick up speed once level, thanks to the aerodynamics of the wings and fuselage. Opening bomb bay doors appear to cut about 15-20 mph off of your top speed. Your initial bomb sight calibration should be around 330-340 mph on your first drop (at full throttle).

LANDING:
As well as taking off, you should spend some time practicing landing your B29. Using the above loadout configuration, your gross weight will probably be around 110,000 lbs towards the end of your sortie. If you are at a very high altitude (above 25k), allow 3 sector lengths (75 miles) from your base, to perform rapid decent. Be careful, as your thin wings will take a lot of stress above 400 mph true air speed. I like to use a 3,000 feet per minute rate of decent. This ensures the safety of the aircraft, and prevents structural damage and compression.

When you are about 10 miles from base, you should already be lined up with the runway. Your first notch of flaps deploy at 225 IAS. Drop your first notch once you slow down enough. When you get to 3 miles from base, continue bleeding more speed until you attain 175 IAS. Drop full flaps, and lower your gear. Continue reducing speed to 150 IAS when you are a half mile from base. Once you reach the runway, chop throttles all the way, pitch your nose up to about 7 degrees above horizon. DO NOT pitch your nose too high, as your tail will smack the ground and brake off. GENTLY set your rear wheels on the ground. Coast an additional 200 yards before putting your nose wheel on the runway. Once all three gears are on the runway, lightly apply brakes to a complete stop. Your sortie is done and you have landed successfully without damaging your aircraft.

Please chime in on any additional tips, tricks and advice for different loadout options! I hope this review helps clear some confusion on how to fly a B29 effectively.

:salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
Re: B29 Flight Trials and Analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:23:04 AM »
heres a tip dont fly the B-29
it explodes drones for NO reason In level flight

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
I've never seen any bomber explode drones for "no" reason.

In fact if they exploded they were too far away from you. Why is a question you must ask yourself.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
Great tips!

Here's a couple of hard learned lessons. Descend very slowly. Those ailerons will rip off at around 340 I believe. Do not land nose heavy. I did the front gear broke off in an amazingly awesome kind of way. Practice seating positions in the guns. You are somewhat blind though the side guns are more useful than on any other bomber.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
Good tips, especially using no flaps on takeoff.  Each run I made with flaps (both one and two notches) resulted in significantly longer takeoff distances. One recommendation I disagree with is the early rotation on takeoff, bad idea.  For most planes lifting your nose early just creates aerodynamic drag and actually reduces your acceleration rate.  Best to keep your nosewheel on the runway until 140 then smoothly rotate to takeoff attitude in one motion.  Most importantly though is to capture 150mph on initial climb until you're high enough to smoothly level off without hitting anything (200-500 ft)
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »
 :aok
Very informative write-ups, Plazus and Mace. Thanks!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok