Author Topic: Dial Up Modem  (Read 1022 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dial Up Modem
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
Well serial ports have been gone for years so I doubt even modems run on them anymore. So it's either USB or ethernet for connectivity. I haven't seen a dial-up in 20 years though.
actually ripley...the op's computer has a 9 pin serial port...i think you're mistaking serial (9 pin/rs232) for parallel (centronics) printer port...haven't seen a parallel port on a computer in a couple of years.

i believe...socket 775 mobos may have been the last to have either and in some instances both...

i can only assume you have not used an atm at a convenience store recently...in some areas they still use dial up modems internally.

The only ethernet based modem I've seen was an old router I used to own.
tigger, that cable/dsl modem you're using in your house right now is an "ethernet based modem"...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:16 AM »
actually ripley...the op's computer has a 9 pin serial port...i think you're mistaking serial (9 pin/rs232) for parallel (centronics) printer port...haven't seen a parallel port on a computer in a couple of years.

i believe...socket 775 mobos may have been the last to have either and in some instances both...

i can only assume you have not used an atm at a convenience store recently...in some areas they still use dial up modems internally.

tigger, that cable/dsl modem you're using in your house right now is an "ethernet based modem"...

The OP has a pretty old tech (not surprising if it's a branded box) since I haven't seen anything but 100% legacy-free parts for many years. I actually just checked and they do still make dialups with a serial connection! But USB is the way I would go anyway just because there's no guarantee even the OPs next computer is going to have legacy ports.

The convenience store ATM's here use dialup or 3G too but they're palm size and wireless connected so you don't see it in action :)

Actually many businesses still use dialups also here for e-traffic to the banks now that I refresh my memory. Thanks for the heads up Gyrene.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »
and lets not forget that USB is a serial bus. Just not RS232.  :)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »
geez i would hope the op's daughter isn't stuck with dial up on her next computer...  :uhoh

since it's not a gaming system, and it's an older unit...the usb interface won't cause any noticeable issues...still an internal pci card would be less expensive and still could be used in a new system if needed...the existing modem is in a pci slot already...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
geez i would hope the op's daughter isn't stuck with dial up on her next computer...  :uhoh

since it's not a gaming system, and it's an older unit...the usb interface won't cause any noticeable issues...still an internal pci card would be less expensive and still could be used in a new system if needed...the existing modem is in a pci slot already...

Yeah except that if/when trouble comes that pci card has the potential to make the whole computer unstable like happened in the OPs case too. That's why I would pick an external modem. Well, to be honest I wouldn't pick a dialup at all but get a 3G usb dongle with unlimited data package instead.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Had an old Dell in the garage I forgot about.  I took the modem out and popped it in her computer and it took right off. 

Thanks for all the good advice.  :aok
Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »

Oh EXCUSE ME... "Ethernet Based DIALUP modem".  I think everyone knew what I meant.  Sheesh.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
We're entombed with dial-up at our house, and they're always getting nailed by lightning, and I have to try 2-3 of em before I find one which gives me good ping-rate for AH (low 200's delay). Broadexent v.92 PCI works real well, bought 3-4 of em on Tiger for like $10 each
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/