Author Topic: Dial Up Modem  (Read 1050 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Dial Up Modem
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »
  I'm trying to find a modem for my daughters computer, but I'm not sure if the ones I'm finding are what will work on her system.  It's an EMachine T3256.  I've tried NewEgg, but not much choices there.  I'm not getting anyplace with the manufacturer.  It's just an old computer, but she likes it. 
Here's a link to some of the specs. on this machine.  http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3256
  Can somebody point me in the right direction...

Thanks
Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Dial Up Modem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:13 PM »
If you have a nine-pin (DIN9) RS232 serial port on the back, you might use something like this?

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
Is this integrated on the mobo?

Modem :  56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem

that system should have 1 or 2 empty pci slots on the mobo...

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
Is this integrated on the mobo?

Modem :  56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem

that system should have 1 or 2 empty pci slots on the mobo...

It is in a PCI slot.  But the error I keep receiving says something to the effect that a port cannot open.  
As soon as I try make the modem work, the computer crashes right away.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:12:07 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
windows xp i assume? that error is familiar but i can't for the life of me remember the fix...  :headscratch:

take note of the modem brand/driver then uninstall it...reboot...reinstall a driver for it...hopefully you can google a newer driver for it
jarhed  

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »
windows xp i assume? that error is familiar but i can't for the life of me remember the fix...  :headscratch:

take note of the modem brand/driver then uninstall it...reboot...reinstall a driver for it...hopefully you can google a newer driver for it

Tried all that stuff.  Disabled the PnP in BIOS, just so the modem wouldn't crash the computer.  The newest driver I could find was from 2004 for this thing.  The model # on the modem is RD01-D850.  I tried punching that into Google, but seem to just be getting the run around.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:59:16 AM »
I have one from my gateway somewhere, trying to find it.  its a pci.  but to actually find one, i would look for computer stores around the neighborhood.  not bestbuy, etc but the corner "computer stores" that sell used computers at really cheap prices.  I have seen them carrying older computer parts.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
uh...open the case and remove the one that is in it now...

this one should work...just pop it into an open pci slot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104001
jarhed  

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »
  I'm trying to find a modem for my daughters computer, but I'm not sure if the ones I'm finding are what will work on her system.  It's an EMachine T3256.  I've tried NewEgg, but not much choices there.  I'm not getting anyplace with the manufacturer.  It's just an old computer, but she likes it. 
Here's a link to some of the specs. on this machine.  http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3256
  Can somebody point me in the right direction...

Thanks
Coogan

Winmodems are notorious for problems in general. You're better off getting a cheap external modem and connecting the computer through regular ethernet if the computer has an ethernet port.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
Winmodems are notorious for problems in general. You're better off getting a cheap external modem and connecting the computer through regular ethernet if the computer has an ethernet port.
:headscratch: curious ripley, what are you talking about?
jarhed  

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
As an alternative, there are also USB phone modems available. Google search should produce a few.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
:headscratch: curious ripley, what are you talking about?

"Winmodems" as they were known to be called is very similar to onboard video in the fact that instead of using their own hardware resources, they use the resources of the computer.  The good Modems handled everything on their own.

On one hand, this made them cheaper ($20 vs $50) but on the other hand they tended to be very cheap and fail often, and when they did fail the entire computer would suffer as a result.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
You're better off getting a cheap external modem and connecting the computer through regular ethernet if the computer has an ethernet port.
i was talking about this part tigger...looks like he's recommending hooking up a dial up modem to the serial port then connecting the rj45 connection to the modem...maybe with an adapter?

:rofl
jarhed  

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »
i was talking about this part tigger...looks like he's recommending hooking up a dial up modem to the serial port then connecting the rj45 connection to the modem...maybe with an adapter?

:rofl

Well serial ports have been gone for years so I doubt even modems run on them anymore. So it's either USB or ethernet for connectivity. I haven't seen a dial-up in 20 years though.

In any case a built in card is most likely the worst possible solution.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
The only ethernet based modem I've seen was an old router I used to own.  It had a serial port on it to install an external modem that it would call out and connect to if the DSL ever dropped.

I think these days you're pretty much limited to picking a dial-up modem that connects through USB or installs into a PCI or PCI-e slot in the computer.

Newegg has PCI modems starting at $8, USB modems starting at $18, and PCI-e modems starting at $30.  They also have a serial port external modem for about $35.

The easiest thing to do is to get a replacement PCI modem and swap it out.. or you can just remove the PCI modem and install a USB one.