Author Topic: So. who is really to blame?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: So. who is really to blame?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »
Can you fix my keyboard?  (I keep missing keystrokes)

probably from the mixture of coffee and other drinks residue embedded in it ;)

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »
Actually, it was the batteries...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
If you have to ask Faceplant, er Facebook, what to do. You're too
ephing stupid to be a parent.

If you have to hit your kid to guide them through life then you really
are too ephing stupid to have spawn.

If you sound like Grandpa Curmudegon and piss & moan about today's
youth and their parentage then you're just plain ephing stupid. (maybe
the problem is the type of people you surround yourself with in the city,
town or sh7thole neighborhood you line in now).

Who's to blame? whatever happened  to 'No child Left Behind?"  lol

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »
Sleep is a fickle mistress...I've always been tired my whole life...

If you sleep too little your tired, if you sleep too much your tired.

I had a nasty afternoon nap problem for a long time...best thing to do is never nap...and not sleep more than 7 hours in a night.

6 hours is ok 7 is perfect and 8 or more is worse than less than 6 :)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
Looks like the train is about to jump the track... I'll be jumping off now  :bolt:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
Looks like the train is about to jump the track... I'll be jumping off now  :bolt:

Make room for me, I'll bring beer.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
It is the bus driver's job to pick students up, on time, at the bus stop. It is a service contracted by the school to transport many many children to school in a timely fashion

It is neither a limousine, nor a taxi.

I agree, but you need to also add safely to that.

My point is that if the kid was at the side of the bus, he was on time.  Second, if the driver had a problem with the kid, he could send a note home to me and let me deal with it.  You DO NOT put a kid in harms way because you think he was late.   Let me know and I will deal with it.  Not you, not the bus driver.  If you want to take it a bit further, I could claim that it is a limo service.  My taxes are paying for his job.  If he has a problem with it he can go work somewhere else.

What would be your reaction if I tried to discipline or parent your kid?  Would you rather have me do that or tell you and have you deal with it, if you thought I was right?  I think the driver acted like one of the kids taking the bus.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »
it's because we have crapped on ourselves as a society.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
I agree, but you need to also add safely to that.

My point is that if the kid was at the side of the bus, he was on time.  Second, if the driver had a problem with the kid, he could send a note home to me and let me deal with it.  You DO NOT put a kid in harms way because you think he was late.   Let me know and I will deal with it.  Not you, not the bus driver.  If you want to take it a bit further, I could claim that it is a limo service.  My taxes are paying for his job.  If he has a problem with it he can go work somewhere else.

What would be your reaction if I tried to discipline or parent your kid?  Would you rather have me do that or tell you and have you deal with it, if you thought I was right?  I think the driver acted like one of the kids taking the bus.

Running to catch up with the bus is NOT on-time.  In most cases, if there is no child at the bus stop, the driver will only slow down.  Chances are he was trying to run to the bus because he was dragging his ass, again.

Honestly, I am old school and you are not going to like my answer.

I would tell you the same thing that I told my kids' future step-dad.  Please refrain from NOT disciplining my children if they are out of line (within reason, of course).  I would prefer that they be disciplined by another parent than allowed to run rampant, be incorrigible, disrespectful,  learn to have some undeserved  sense of entitlement, or feel like that they can get away with any-damn-thing that they please.

My reaction if you disciplined them?

I'd thank you for caring, shake your hand and punish them again.  Not only for doing whatever it was they did in the first place, but also for doing in in such a public fashion that someone else had to take care of it.

Integrity, as I constantly remind them, is how one conduct's one's self, regardless if one thinks others are looking or not...

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »
Running to catch up with the bus is NOT on-time.  In most cases, if there is no child at the bus stop, the driver will only slow down.  Chances are he was trying to run to the bus because he was dragging his ass, again.

Honestly, I am old school and you are not going to like my answer.

I would tell you the same thing that I told my kids' future step-dad.  Please refrain from NOT disciplining my children if they are out of line (within reason, of course).  I would prefer that they be disciplined by another parent than allowed to run rampant, be incorrigible, disrespectful,  learn to have some undeserved  sense of entitlement, or feel like that they can get away with any-damn-thing that they please.

My reaction if you disciplined them?

I'd thank you for caring, shake your hand and punish them again.  Not only for doing whatever it was they did in the first place, but also for doing in in such a public fashion that someone else had to take care of it.

Integrity, as I constantly remind them, is how one conduct's one's self, regardless if one thinks others are looking or not...

:rofl  yep, I don't like it.  What you guys are missing here is that no one said the kid should not be disciplined.  But, it should be done by the parents the way THEY see fit.  What you or I think is irrelevant.  So, yeah, you can tell me if you have a problem with my kids and I will try to fix it.  You can drive off if my kid is late.  Drive off when my kid is next to your bus and make me think she was in danger and the list of your worries will be how many seconds late she was.

Not everything is punishable by death or mutilation you know  :lol

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
agreed, i wake up 5am every morning alarm or not, really a pisser on the weekends when i would like to sleep in, but when i do sleep in it's only till 7am, my son's getting into the same routine and he very seldom needs an alarm for school, he has a set bedtime of 10pm, at first he used to argue about it but now realizes its for his own good, i will let him sleep in on the weekends till about 9am , time wasted is time lost  :aok

Tell that to the sleep deprived masses at my school- some of us are barely staying awake.  My friend is so starved of sleep he can't even talk in the morning.  This isn't an intelligent way to live. 

Also, to all you "oldschoolers", every "oldschooler" I've talked to thus far told me that their highschool started at 8:00, not 7:20.  Furthermore, sleep patterns vary throughout your life- as a newborn, you were comatose for 20 out of 24 hours each day.  As a toddler, you slept around 12-14 hours, as a kid, it drops off sharply to 8, then climbs up to 9 during puberty (so that we can GROW and be BIG and STRONG) then falls down to 8 as an adult.  The elderly sleep even less (6 to 7 hours), and it only goes downhill from there.

The winter exacerbates the problem, since nighttime lasts from 16:00 to 7:00 in some cases.  When do you know when to wake up?  After hour number 13, or hour number 14?

I am a seasoned traveller, and this is more difficult than shifting a vast number of hours.  In this case, a one hour shift must be made, and then maintatined very carefully.  You would think that we would have this down by now, but puberty makes it impossible.  Read my example of the total inability to fight the circadian rythms, and the punishment for trying: dreaming of having iguanas tied around your neck while attempting to find out why your bedroom smells like ham, and then waking up at all hours of the night.  Kids willl still sleep at the same hour, and they'll be more awake during school.

-Penguin

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
I think the mother is being a bit overboard and overprotective, god help those that have to deal with her if her son decides to enter into something as scandelous and devious as the Boy Scouts in a year or two.

Obviously she's never made or let her kid walk to/from school or she wouldn't even bat an eyelash at as petty a "vehicular incident" as a bus pulling away from a dead stop and her kid standing a mere foot or two next to it on the side.  It's a good way to develop early life-saving SA.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2011, 06:22:25 PM »
Here's a kooky plan for you Penguin.  If you want to sleep 9 hours or more, how about you go to bed earlier.  It's a wacky idea but it really works. 
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
Here's a kooky plan for you Penguin.  If you want to sleep 9 hours or more, how about you go to bed earlier.  It's a wacky idea but it really works. 

Bingo, man wins the Prize, no one to blame but the Parents
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
Tell that to the sleep deprived masses at my school- some of us are barely staying awake.  My friend is so starved of sleep he can't even talk in the morning.  This isn't an intelligent way to live.  

Also, to all you "oldschoolers", every "oldschooler" I've talked to thus far told me that their highschool started at 8:00, not 7:20.  Furthermore, sleep patterns vary throughout your life- as a newborn, you were comatose for 20 out of 24 hours each day.  As a toddler, you slept around 12-14 hours, as a kid, it drops off sharply to 8, then climbs up to 9 during puberty (so that we can GROW and be BIG and STRONG) then falls down to 8 as an adult.  The elderly sleep even less (6 to 7 hours), and it only goes downhill from there.

The winter exacerbates the problem, since nighttime lasts from 16:00 to 7:00 in some cases.  When do you know when to wake up?  After hour number 13, or hour number 14?

I am a seasoned traveller, and this is more difficult than shifting a vast number of hours.  In this case, a one hour shift must be made, and then maintatined very carefully.  You would think that we would have this down by now, but puberty makes it impossible.  Read my example of the total inability to fight the circadian rythms, and the punishment for trying: dreaming of having iguanas tied around your neck while attempting to find out why your bedroom smells like ham, and then waking up at all hours of the night.  Kids willl still sleep at the same hour, and they'll be more awake during school.

-Penguin

It's about discipline. It has nothing to do with the amount of sleep you did or didn't get. If you can't drag your butt out of bed in the morning to catch the school bus or go to work then your just making excuses.  Try taking responsibility for your own actions. There's a reason why you and your peers are all so tired. It's because you don't go to sleep early enough.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:24:30 PM by SIK1 »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54