Author Topic: Best way to descend in a B29.  (Read 1326 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Best way to descend in a B29.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:01 AM »
I can't believe this. You people are so afraid to loose your B29, that you climb so high, and then you have a problem descending.  :rofl :rofl :rofl
The B29 is fragile in maneuvers and speed.

Personally i just hammerhead it then pull up too hard to rip my wings off!. then drop my payload and hit the tarmac of the enemy base :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:23 AM »
I found the best (and fastest) way to descend in B29s.

Set your climb speed to 160 and cut the engines, them click on autoclimb, and then just drop your gear and full flaps.

Depending on loadout you should get -3,000 to -4000 fpm rate of descent. You don't have to worry about losing control surfaces or anything.

Or you can do what Gordon Bennet Robertson Jr., did on his first B-29 flight over Tokyo when his B-29 hit a powerful thermal updraft from the fires that rolled his plane (flying at 5,000ft) inverted.  He did a Split-S to recover, exceeding 400mph and had to pull into a zoom climb to burn energy after he pulled out of the Split-S.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »
I can't believe this. You people are so afraid to loose your B29, that you climb so high, and then you have a problem descending.  :rofl :rofl :rofl

I know, especially when in real life B-29 pilots were bombing Tokyo from as low as 5,000ft. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
The control surfaces separate from the airplane at about 370 IAS

You can get them knocked off going from 5k to the deck.
The B29 is fragile in maneuvers and speed.

Personally i just hammerhead it then pull up too hard to rip my wings off!. then drop my payload and hit the tarmac of the enemy base :D

I know, just making fun of you  :)  :bolt:
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 04:13:31 AM »
and cut the engines

Idle engines will create more drag than when they're offline. Especially if they've modeled prop feathering like in the P-38.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:14 AM »
Dang this controlled descent thing works great thanks for posting.

EZRhino (2 years in and still learning)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 05:48:08 AM »
you can decent up to 300mph safely

B25C can do 375

B25C > B29
Strokes

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 07:09:55 AM »
From what i have seen, they have modeled the fragility of the aircraft to the point of a paper airplane! If that was real life equivalent, the japs could have destroyed whole formations with potato guns and a strong fart! Get ready because on this issue I believe we are going to hear a bit more. Oh yeah the best way to descend seems to be straight down, or at least the most common.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 07:27:52 AM »
Your choice on dropping gear or not, personally I leave gear up most times because that keeps my drones in formation.

Once you drop both gear and flaps they will go into landing mode and go line astern, and setup their landing.

I prefer to keep mine close, drop gear 300 yards off the threshold, and let them slip right in behind me.

But as noted either method works.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:19 AM »
Just another way to "game the game". Why not use it as it was intended. Take off from a secure base way back in friendly territory, climb to a safe alt, run mission and return to a friendly base deep behind the front lines where you have the safety and space to descend normally.

Oh that's right this a game and we MUST find the quickest and easiest way to do things. 

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
forward slip. it works for everything.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »
Just another way to "game the game". Why not use it as it was intended. Take off from a secure base way back in friendly territory, climb to a safe alt, run mission and return to a friendly base deep behind the front lines where you have the safety and space to descend normally.

Oh that's right this a game and we MUST find the quickest and easiest way to do things.  

I don't see this as an exploit. Using all of your options to create more drag is just a safe way to achieve a steeper decent. That's not "gaming the game", that's being smart.

Just last night I was at 30K in B17's while rtb'ing and there was 20 min left in the arena. Rather than doing a right and proper "normal" decent as you describe and landing deep in friendly territory (and risk being in the air when it's time to get disco'd), I used all the methods described in this thread to perform a steep decent and land at a frontline base.

And besides, what's to stop anyone from using the tips in this thread to land deep in friendly territory anyway? In fact, keeping your altitude all the way to your LZ and decending as late as possible is the safest option when returning to base.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:38:20 AM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
I'm sorry, everything about this B29 just rubs me the wrong way. I apologize for my last post.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
Bah, my reply was inappropriate and condescending. I scratched out the bits where I cast doubt on your intelligence. Truly ungentlemanly behavior on my part. Happy 29 hunting, sir.  :salute
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:40:21 AM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
Incredibly pathetic.

It took less than a week for the tutorial on
'How to dive bomb with a B-29 in Romper Roomville'
to appear

you guys rAwQue!!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:03:35 AM by Westy »