Author Topic: Easy Planes to get kills in  (Read 2796 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: Easy Planes to get kills in
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
P-51D might be easy for a GOOD PILOT to get kills in because once it has it's speed, it maintains it fairly well (If kept coordinated and the pilot has an idea what he is doing).  However, it it's hopelessly outmatched by a lot of the LW plane-set once it loses said speed and requires an "experienced" P-51 pilot to actually compete.  Generally good pilots know this, so they BnZ, which allows a build-up of kills from a rather safe distance.  Most new pilots have NO IDEA about E retention, coordination, and how to lead a target, and when they fly the P-51D, they mostly end up dead.

The propaganda argument is absolutely silly; the propaganda doesn't keep people from calling it a dweeb ride.  In fact, the propaganda is the reason we see huge amounts of whines that the P-51 isn't "uber enough" in this game.  They reason that if it actually "won the war," why does everything outmatch it?

Spit 16's, LA-7's, (insert "dweeb ride" here) are the planes that outmatch most in-game aircraft in multiple dimensions.

Try to fly a P-51D like a Spit 16, and you will quickly realize why it actually does take some skill to dogfight a P-51.  Fly a Spit 16 like a P-51D and you'll get the same, if not better results.  The Spit 16 is one of the most forgiving aircraft on the planet, in terms of stall, E retention, power-to-weight, maneuverability, and just general engage/disengage ability.  This is also why it is the most recommended aircraft to new players.

When you really look at the stats on the birds, you'll find that the P-51D is actually a very mediocre fighter.  It's only big advantage in terms of real-life:  It's range.

When it comes to the Brewster whines... It's because people misjudge it's E state.  "WHAT?!  HOW did that Brewster keep up with me at 500mph?!"  "I'm pretty sure it's because he dove from 15,000 feet... but who knows."  "Not possible.  Nope, it's overmodeled."
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »
Tempest is easiest for me.  Fastest prop plane, lots of firepower, and plenty of ammo.  Keep speeds above 280-300 TAS, keep the turns gentle to to the right, and dont ever get below 5-7k alt.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
In my humble (and now noobish opinion)...

Defending against CV aircraft in a Hurricane IIC is by far the easiest and quickest way to get kills for the average player.  Unless, for a player who is used to the ballistics of the N1K cannon, that is by far the easiest plane to rack up a lot of kills in a very short time while on the defensive.

If you are bringing the fight to the enemy and expect to have the advantage, then I think the Hawker Tempest is the best...  unless of course, you are used to flying the 262 (I mean aggressively and on the deck, none of this coming in at 7k and keeping alt nonsense)....

IMO the 51 is good if you plan on staying alive, but the guns just aren't that great.  Better off in a Jug, take a lot of fuel and ammo and take your time if you plan on a high kill sortie and landing them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:22:40 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 07:26:02 AM »
Of course the 51 does in reality require some skill to achieve results. However the average AH player is a little bit up themselves about this and does not or will not recognise this.

Simply:

La7; Point and squirt (ALTHOUGH THE SKILLED CAN DO MORE)

Nikki, Spit 16; Turn.

51 requires the skill to boom and zoom which is a bit more difficult to learn. Basically its not as easy as the others but when you have mastered it its speed allows you to dip in and out of a fight at will without advanced skills like knowing how to reverse.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
i, for one, love the spit16

simply because almost every spit16 i encounter in my FM-2, the pilot foolishly thinks he can outturn me in a low-speed engagement. i can count of atleast 50 spit16s that need a spare wing :D
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »

simply because almost every spit16 i encounter in my FM-2, the pilot foolishly thinks he can outturn me in a low-speed engagement. i can count of atleast 50 spit16s that need a spare wing :D

SSSSshhhh ... geeesh ... you're letting the cat out of the bag.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
Tempest is easiest for me.  Fastest prop plane, lots of firepower, and plenty of ammo.  Keep speeds above 280-300 TAS, keep the turns gentle to to the right, and dont ever get below 5-7k alt.

The tempest is not the fastest prop plane. Its lower alt speed is what gives it its uber ability in the MA. Put it in the special events and in higher alt.....and ehh...its ok.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
I do my best in the LA-7, unless I'm defending a base getting over-run, then it's the 16 for me.

Short legs of the LA can be overcome with use of throttle. Get it up to speed, then pull back to 3/4 throttle. You're still running faster than most other rides at wot, but burning less gas.

Biggest peeve I have with LA is pw's. I can collect a pw with 1 ping from a dead 6 shot. Hellow AH. La's did have armour behind pilot, including the armored glass.

51 great for bnz, but u better know what you are doing if you plan to slow down. One of my favorite jabbo's though, as you have a plane you can fight after the ords are gone.
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
Yarbles, if all you do is BnZ yes the 51 is rather easy to get kills in, or most planes in AH.  It really depends on there player imo.  If they are just in it for kills they will BnZ.  Then look at players like OlDemon, PK1 and some others that will put a 51 in a low alt stall fight.  The 51 is a handful at low alts.  Its hardly a good turning plane at low speeds, its acceleration is rather poor, and has a tendancy to snap at low speeds.

You're only looking at the way some fly it. It would be like me saying that all the Spit drivers a whining turny dweebs.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
It would be like me saying that all the Spit drivers a whining turny dweebs.

Most of them are...  But some of them are astronaut cherry picking dweebs too!  :rofl

They're all dweebs though!   :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »

Spixteen can't outturn the fm2, but I can take you into the vert and make it my fight.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
Spixteen can't outturn the fm2, but I can take you into the vert and make it my fight.

Not until he blows his energy.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
I do my best in the LA-7, unless I'm defending a base getting over-run, then it's the 16 for me.

Short legs of the LA can be overcome with use of throttle. Get it up to speed, then pull back to 3/4 throttle. You're still running faster than most other rides at wot, but burning less gas.

Hey bro, little bit of advice for a fellow Lala driver.  You're better off reducing the rpm's as opposed to the throttle, you'll get much greater range for the amount of fuel used.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »

as long as you are some distance away from me.

i can't count how many times i've killed spits or ponys because he turned, i took a shot, and he went into the vertical. smart tactic, right? not when i'm only D200 out  ;)
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 04:47:36 AM »
as long as you are some distance away from me.

i can't count how many times i've killed spits or ponys because he turned, i took a shot, and he went into the vertical. smart tactic, right? not when i'm only D200 out  ;)

Some of the easiest kills I have had have been in a turny plane diving in i.e. Hurri 1. You get on someones six 200 out game over. To get back to land kills in these planes though it is more often luck than judgement if you are any distance from a friendly base.

Probably the easiest planes to get a kill in are the Brewster, Zero, Hurri 2c etc landing them is often a different story. When it comes to skill though I would say the above offer allot of return for very little in close 1 v 1. If I was advising a newb how to get his first non HO kill I would suggest dive into a furball in one of the above and get hold of someones six and hold on to it.

Experienced players with a bit of nouse seem to use the slow turners close to their base or CV.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:09:11 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"