Author Topic: Easy Planes to get kills in  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Easy Planes to get kills in
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:21:46 AM »
From my experience as nothing special in fighters the easiest plane to land multiple kills in is the P51D.

People complain about the la7, spit 16, brewster and nikki but the easiest plane the 51 is the most popular but no one seems to mind that.

Any ideas why?  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:26:09 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Easy Planes to get kills in
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:37:10 AM »
Complains also seem to be en vogue at certain times for certain times. Once it was all about the Runstangs. Then Spit 16 and La 7 for years. Now Spixteen whines have been replaced with Brewster ones.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »
Complains also seem to be en vogue at certain times for certain times. Once it was all about the Runstangs. Then Spit 16 and La 7 for years. Now Spixteen whines have been replaced with Brewster ones.

I've pulled many a hairs out of me head because of La-7's; you're hard-pressed to out-turn them and you ain't outrunning them. Guys flying N1K's do weird stunts and cut my tail off occasionally..

I can't imagine anybody whining about the Brewster besides the fact that any pilot paying attention can be very difficult to get a shot on. If people are whining about getting shot down by them then they're doing something wrong.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:52:17 AM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:29 AM »
If people are whining about getting shot down by them then they're doing something wrong.

The brewster is slow but some consider it over modelled as it dives and accelerates well over a low speed range.

I don't understand why people complaign about the la7 nikki and spit 16 other than they need something to complain about when they arn't performing as well as they think they should.

Doesn't explain why people don't see the 51 as dweebish when it seems to me the easiest palne to do well in.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:34:42 AM »
Isnt the la7 much easyer than the 51 (in tipical low alt MA use)? Turns better, better guns, accelerates faster, still can dive like crazy also faster than the pony at low alts. Excellent all round plane.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »
Isnt the la7 much easyer than the 51 (in tipical low alt MA use)? Turns better, better guns, accelerates faster, still can dive like crazy also faster than the pony at low alts. Excellent all round plane.

The Pony is faster at ALT, more ammo and better range so makes a better pick and run plane.

BTW I don't consider any plane dweebish as such I just wonder why those who use the plane as an excuse don't pick on the 51 more.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »
Well, the pony is faster at alt, way better for the events. But... in the MA if you play pick n run, then you dont need good high altitude speed. You come high, BnZ as long as you have E (the la climbs well, regains E quick), then run home on the deck. Thats why the Temp is perked to 50, even though it isnt the best at high altitudes.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:06:07 AM »
Well, the pony is faster at alt, way better for the events. But... in the MA if you play pick n run, then you dont need good high altitude speed. You come high, BnZ as long as you have E (the la climbs well, regains E quick), then run home on the deck. Thats why the Temp is perked to 50, even though it isnt the best at high altitudes.

If your not a skilled picker it takes time which means fuel and alt stops you getting picked. You fly in above the fight look for someone on the edge or going home rtb fuel etc or already in a fight and pick them.

You would quickly run out of fuel and ammo in the la7 and coming in above the fight you are losing advantages.

I am sure the la7 is a good short range picker though.   
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:45:18 AM »
any plane that I'm flying is easy to kill.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
i think yarbles has been getting picked by ponies...  :lol

looks like you're saying the runstang is an easy plane to pick and run in...mostly true...but so are several other late war rides...if i could shoot worth a bean, pony would be an easy kill as it is for some toon pile-its i know of...n1ks, lalas and spit 14/16s are a lot easier to fly, and you're hard pressed to get away from the things once they get on your 6...

if i were going to do nothing but cherry pick i'd use a spit...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »
From my experience as nothing special in fighters the easiest plane to land multiple kills in is the P51D.

People complain about the la7, spit 16, brewster and nikki but the easiest plane the 51 is the most popular but no one seems to mind that.

Any ideas why?  
Add the Dora to that list and not complaining at all that they are "dweeb rides", just dweeb pile its. Im seeing more and more P51 guys either being radar warriors and augering after toolshedding or you end up chasing them 2 sectors to coax them into a fight.
I can out manuever a LA7 in most rides and the Brew Ive learned how to BnZ and not to get lured into the turnfight. The Nik can do amazing things in a tight furball but once you commit, you are an easy target to get picked. The saving grace of the 16 is that 99% of them are new guys behind the joystick and they are not very durable once shot up.

My oppinion is spend less time worrying about what the other guy is flying and find ways to beat it instead of whining about it.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 08:34:15 AM »
Ok.. it's American History Lecture time.

Please locate the nearest crucible of salt grains to ingest while reading the following:

The reason the P51 isn't picked on or put down by those that choose to place blame on the airplane modeling/performance is simply because all Americans have been taught by Hollywood that the P51 won the war for, not only the USA, but the entire combined allied forces.  This is ingrained from our very first exposure to WW2 aircraft and perpetuated in our culture by a very popular performance automobile.
The P51 Mustang is an integral part of our culture.  It can't possibly be a bad thing.  

LA-7s, however, didn't exist until AW and AH came out.  We Americans never heard about it, so it must be fabricated. It can't possibly be that good.  All the Soviets ever did was copy our airplanes, nuclear weapons, and enslaved their people.  How could they possibly have an aeronautical industry capable of producing such a good airplane?  No.. it simply can't be, so the modeling is wrong. ( the author was even guilty of this belief in his younger years ).

Nikki. What a farce. Everybody knows the Japanese didn't have any aircraft worth a darn after the Zero.  It's obvious, since our mighty US Navy massacred them from the skies at every opportunity.. after Midway, of course.   There is no way that a documented fact that the Japanese spent no considerable effort to actually TRAIN the pilots they stuck in those birds, would yield such a discrepancy between the planes historical performance and it's virtual lethality.  Obviously, the plane is modeled all wrong.

Brewster.  Again, all good Americans who are up to date on their aviation history know that this bird was a sentence of death to anybody who had to fly them at Midway.  There is no other version of the plane..anywhere.  Finnish Air Force?  That's just the line a the end of a race, right?  C'mon.. you can't improve on American Engineering.   Obviously, this plane, too, is modeled wrong.

Now.. after you clean the dripping sarcasm off your monitor, I think you'll understand a lot of the underlying opinions about certain aircraft. I know the first time I encountered the Niki in AW, I was demoralized at how well it did.  Shook my historical confidence to the core.. to where I discovered how little I really knew about how aircraft performed.  Keep in mind, I had lived WW2 aircraft from grade school ( we had these things called Libraries.. they had books.. we read books.  Spam was something mom served for dinner.  And getting booted was something that happened when dad didn't feel like sending you out to the woods to find a switch ) and these fancy-dancy flight sims didn't show up until I was 30, or so.. I already knew everything.  Accepting these alternative histories doesn't really set well with some.

However, I still don't like the LA-7..   :devil

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »

Any ideas why?  

Because it has everything to do with your skill level.  To succeed with the P-51 requires a bit of BFM knowledge, good SA, and accurate gunnery.  If you have those things, you can mop up with it.

The La-7, Spit 16, and Nikki allow a less skilled pilot to succeed to some extent where they would be absolutely crushed in the P-51.  Most people hate to see a less skilled pilot succeed, i.e. shoot them down, hence the complaints.

As for complaints about the Brewster, that's just crazy.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
Spit 16 and La7 easiest planes to get kills in.  Fun to fly aswell :D
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
For me the easiest plane to get kills in has always been the FW190A-8.  My K/D ratio in that plane over time FAR surpasses any other including my beloved Spitfires.  Maybe it's the way I fly it, maybe it's the targets I choose but that plane and I have always gotten along well together. 

It's why I jumped at the chance to fly one in BOG and for an average pilot like myself I've tied for third on the top Axis kills list in the practice frame and frame 2 although a lot of that can be attributed to the guys I've been flying with there (III/JG11).  Can't wait to see what happens tonight.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.