Author Topic: Is this what Hitech wants?  (Read 23597 times)

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
Re: Is this what Hitech wants?
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »

Personally Im tired of logging on and seeing most people fighting mostly where other people arent. Its one of the primary reasons I dont spend as much time in game as I used to.

Yup!  Totally agree Dred.
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:01 AM »
Rather then in town GV spawns. perhaps just have a spawn point closer to the town.

Also (And I'd like to see this anyway) Return to zones.
 Zone bases and zone strats. Only place the strats near the towns. also have a railroad running through the towns. This would certainly aid on realism as the townspeople would most certainly work in the strat factories as well as aid in the defense of the town.
Having the railroad run through the town would serve the same purpose.

These would also provide something for the GVers to fight in, around, and over control of.

Although. On the down side. Making things harder only contributes to the horde mentality. As it becomes more and more necessary to bring more people to take a field.

The only real solution to the horde is to break them up. Impose field limits like we would have IRL. This  would force the larger hordes to up from several different bases rather then just 1. Which would force true thought in planning and coordination.  Gimme a break. The only intelligence required for planning and coordination a horde mission now is the ability to play follow the leader. And I think most of us learned that game in kindergarten.

If you force them to up from multiple bases. You force thought and coordination. To meet up at a specific time and place AFTER the mission has been launched. It also increases the likely hood that such a mission would be spotted in advance and because the mission is broken up into smaller segments. It makes it easier for smaller numbers of defenders to disrupt portions of the mission if spotted.

In the end you would also have fights spread out over a wider front almost by default. Which in itself would be an improvement. particularly on the large maps

That's a good post  :aok

I've always wondered why when flattening a base if you aren't going to kill all the hangars you might as well of not killed any. It seems to me if only one fighter hangar was left standing there should be a lot less fighters taking off (or maybe just higher ENY fighters). If a field can only support a certain number of aircraft in the air at a time (or a certain number of aircraft taking off every 2 minutes or so) it would definitely require more strategy in large missions and the game would be just a bit more realistic.

However, dweebs and nubs might be able to unintentionally (or intentionally  :mad:) ruin the game for their countrymen if they have a habit of wasting aircraft.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:10 AM »
Rather then in town GV spawns. perhaps just have a spawn point closer to the town.

Also (And I'd like to see this anyway) Return to zones.
 Zone bases and zone strats. Only place the strats near the towns. also have a railroad running through the towns. This would certainly aid on realism as the townspeople would most certainly work in the strat factories as well as aid in the defense of the town.
Having the railroad run through the town would serve the same purpose.

These would also provide something for the GVers to fight in, around, and over control of.

Although. On the down side. Making things harder only contributes to the horde mentality. As it becomes more and more necessary to bring more people to take a field.

The only real solution to the horde is to break them up. Impose field limits like we would have IRL. This  would force the larger hordes to up from several different bases rather then just 1. Which would force true thought in planning and coordination.  Gimme a break. The only intelligence required for planning and coordination a horde mission now is the ability to play follow the leader. And I think most of us learned that game in kindergarten.

If you force them to up from multiple bases. You force thought and coordination. To meet up at a specific time and place AFTER the mission has been launched. It also increases the likely hood that such a mission would be spotted in advance and because the mission is broken up into smaller segments. It makes it easier for smaller numbers of defenders to disrupt portions of the mission if spotted.

In the end you would also have fights spread out over a wider front almost by default. Which in itself would be an improvement. particularly on the large maps

Creates another problem(s). 

What about a field that is being defended, but someone decides to up a mission from there.  If you have field limits, you have eliminated anyone from defending the field.  That mission may sit in the tower 5 to 10 minutes before launching, so now, in theory at least, you could have a field that is totally defenseless while everyone is in the tower waiting for the mission to start.

I could really see this as a problem for GV's.  Players are attempting to spawn out of a field to an opposing or even friendly field, but is unable to do so because a mission is in the tower waiting to launch.

Now I know you big time bad fly only expert cartoon pilots who think GVing is beneath you really don't care, but there is a large contingent of players that enjoy the GVing side of the game, and I would hate to see my fun thwarted because a few get upset because they preceive there is some big problem with large groups of players attacking a field in a way they don't like.

Same old complaint, different thread.

MY OPINION
Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2011, 08:50:46 AM »
That's a good post  :aok

I've always wondered why when flattening a base if you aren't going to kill all the hangars you might as well of not killed any. It seems to me if only one fighter hangar was left standing there should be a lot less fighters taking off (or maybe just higher ENY fighters). If a field can only support a certain number of aircraft in the air at a time (or a certain number of aircraft taking off every 2 minutes or so) it would definitely require more strategy in large missions and the game would be just a bit more realistic.

However, dweebs and nubs might be able to unintentionally (or intentionally  :mad:) ruin the game for their countrymen if they have a habit of wasting aircraft.

Or, consider the CV. As it sits now, 1 CV is as good as a fleet. I'd like to see an experimental arena where CV's and fields have a finite number of aircraft. Clearly, this would impede fights-on-demand but it would add realism. Perhaps the way to do this would be to limit the number of uppers from any field on a first-come, first-served basis. A loss of one upper would open the queue to the next upper, possibly with some "transfer" time delay. In this way, the local concertrations would be far more realistic. Uppers from distant bases would be under range pressure. Hording would require command and coordination.

Even before this, though, I'd like to see CV limits. That way, 4 CV's would be a massive force but 1 would be approx. 30-odd fighters - with similar-sized contingents of dive-bombers and torp bombers.   
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »
I remember a time in AH when a hoard equaled two players: one player to kill the town...and the other in a Goon to make the capture...both NOE!

We have come far with our complaints to HTC.

Dang! How time flies....
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
Fight the horde or quit but stop the freakin cryin......its gettin old.
we all moved on so should you.

Fix your sig, it's getting old looking at failed code  :P
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
HT hates teh hordes!! :furious

You beat me to it   :rofl

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
I was wondering, is it?

(Image removed from quote.)

There are almost 30 dots in this screen shot, and this is after the attacked had started a few people had scrambled to know a number of them down. In this case they launched off a CV and NOEd in. There is no way to defend against this type of attack (thats why they do it!) Even if the defenders had 30 guys sitting in the tower waiting for the next attack it would be almost impossible to stop. Is this the type of game play that Hitech wants. Unstoppable hordes going from base to base just flattening everything like a horde of locust.

Its not even fun trying to see how long you can last i that mess with 5-10 guy diving on you at once. Launching from the next base is a waste of time as the horde gobbles up the base in under 5 minutes which is more than quick enough to be gone and looking for the next NOE path before a defender could get there from an adjacent base.

My solution was easy enough, I went to another arena. I can see where people could get frustrated and decide it isn't worth it to even play. Is this the way the game is going to be played?

I beg to differ this point  :D Up a JUG, it makes it much more difficult yet much more satisfying to tower some of the horde!

That asside, I guarantee with hordes like this most hordlings maybe 75% are hovering above the field eager for vulch and cherry love, they are waiting for someone braver than them to deack and set up what they would call a fight. the other 25% are actually at work taking the field, I say <S> to those 25% at least this 25% is commited to something even if I don't do that certain "something" myself.

Once again I say make any kills on concrete meaningless, this might limit the amount of "hyenas" glomming to such a base capture hoping to improve their "fighter score" with the choggies  :aok

At the minimum this might limit the tards who show up, thereby limiting the horde  :)

Just a thought

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »

Once again I say make any kills on concrete meaningless

+1

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
+1

How many definitions of "on the concrete" would HT have to coad, then?

<scenario>

I shoot player X until his plane looks like swiss cheese.

Player X belly lands "on the concrete" but just a bit too fast and explodes.

<scenario>

Do I now not get the kill because he was "on the concrete?

You have been playing long enough to know that the easiest fix is to not land or take-off from a capped field.

The ones that do either are just as bad as the vulchers as they are exposing themselves to being vulched.

If everyone stopped upping for 30 seconds, the cappers get bored and go help with town or something else, usually.

Then there is a better chance of getting off of the field.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
any time I read a thread like this I think back to the days when the arenas were capped at 120.  No more than 40 players per side max.  To me those were the best times, the best fights.  You get an arena with 350+ people in it and gameplay just goes to hell. 
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »
any time I read a thread like this I think back to the days when the arenas were capped at 120.  No more than 40 players per side max.  To me those were the best times, the best fights.  You get an arena with 350+ people in it and gameplay just goes to hell. 

One cannot always be all-inclusive.

I had a blast so far in this scenario.  :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
Jug, Ikd love to try picking people out of a horde like this, but like I said earlier, they are good at what they do.

They come in NOE and pop at the dar ring. They come strait to the field and kill everything, then they kill any uppers left, then they kill the town. From dar to capture takes about 5-6 minuets. If you up from the next field over you might get ther in time to see the last couple land.

Then, they don't up there because the base is flat, so they up spmeplace else, not to take a base any where near the one they just took, because people are alert in that area.

So you land and up again trying to guess the next area of attack, or you can sit in the tower to try and react quicker on the next dar flash.

Seeing as ratting out a CV that is hidden and ruining someones fun is not liked by HTC, and getting mauled by horde after and having the defender fun ruin isn't bad just keeps me mystified as to "how to play this game"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »

No.
Its a legitimate complaint.

Personally Im tired of logging on and seeing most people fighting mostly where other people arent. Its one of the primary reasons I dont spend as much time in game as I used to.

Do you mean horizontaly or vertically??

I find that more people avoid fighting using altitude as a hiding place.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
One cannot always be all-inclusive.

I had a blast so far in this scenario.  :aok
What you mean by "scenario" ?  a planned event is a completely different animal.  I'm talking about main arena free for all environment.  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns