Author Topic: Is this what Hitech wants?  (Read 23744 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Is this what Hitech wants?
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2011, 06:18:14 AM »
To get not completely offtopic, let me first state my perception about the hordes:

I've been playing close to six years now. The current hordes are not wore or more frequent than 5-6 years ago. The very same discussions, the very same problems. I was a n00b when that LCA thing happened in Rookland, which wasn't simply a squad then, but a huge mega horde completely shutting down complete frontlines before moving in to grab the bases. Much controversy back then. The current "Vguys" stuff really pales in comparison ;)
And I want to remind everyone being here before the arena split and the change in the requirements of winning the war how bad the ganging and hording was on a country level... remember, you didn't win by getting bases from both enemy teams but just by having the most bases of the country that "lost" the war. Result: Both bigger countries stomped on the smaller one 24/7 to get the biggest share, never any need to fight each other. That was really ugly...

And now a word about:
I understand the economic problems in US at the moment but otoh HTC is on a global market.

My own impression (you all know me observing such stuff) is that in the past years offpeak numbers had declined much more than peak ones. I'm just not sure if (in case I'm right about that) it's because non-US player numbers went down dis proportionally, or because we do have less younger players nowadays... which would really be a very bad thing.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2011, 06:35:56 AM »
I understand the economic problems in US at the moment but otoh HTC is on a global market. If my business would stop growing let alone have a 40% drop in turnover, I'd be extremely worried and try to figure out whats causing the customers to leave. I'm sure HTC has done that.

My opinnion is that like in nature, MA needs to have a balance to thrive. Without balance things tend to wither and die sooner than later. An odd horde now and then doesn't matter in grand scale of things. But if it's a constant phenomenon it's about as profitable for HTC as the locust swarms are for African farmers.

So now we're going to run Hitech's business. I don't think so.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
The day this happens is the day I will start to learn all about ground vehicles !  :aok

And I'll say - and have said before, you can't really have "realistic" ground war without both infantry and indirect fire weapons. As is, we have tank battles - neither of the two elements I've mentioned figure in (with minor exception for naval and shore guns). Tank vs. tank can be fun but it doesn't really get it for me.

Infantry is a tough one to figure but IF weapons could be operated with the use of a spotter. They'd require a two-man team, thus and generally, but imagine the payoff. Consider the case where you and an easy-to-conceal spotter (base flash but tiny icon?) use a mobile 155mm to lay down a nice carpet of jagged steel on an enemy air base. God, that'd be as bad as a horde, practically. Doubtless it'd motivate a retaliatory search-and-destroy, both for the spotter and the offending piece of SPA. Consider, also, the viability of IF for layered base defense. Clearly, as another poster points out, this'd exacerbate the already annoying spawn camping issue - but spawn "randomness within a range" is something already well needed. 
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2011, 07:07:47 AM »
Excellent response DREDIOCK...... :salute

I should have been clearer in my post, but the GV stuff was not directed at you.  You did give an excellent response though.  The only part of my reply directed back at you was how limiting the number of player that can up from a field could impact GVers as well as the air guys.

You are correct, it may be a long shot that the defense could be affected because a mission has been posted, but other considerations are what if there are just a bunch of people in the tower of that specific field that are AFK?  I know it opens another can of worms.

Not directed specifically at you Drediock.

A few in this game perceives that there is some big problem with hording.  I have been on both sides of it many times, and in the near four years I have been playing, I have not seen one bit of change.  I really don't see the big deal.  You want a fight, up and fight.  If the odds are to overwhelming, then go some where else on the map.  

Some talk that they want a fight, yet they get all bent over if everyone is not following their perception of what should be a fair fight.  Where is it stated any where that anything in this game is fair?  Sure HTC does some stuff to attempt to keep it balanced, but fair, never going to happen.  You always have options, utilize them instead of whining all the time on 200 or the BBS.  If the horde is bothering you so much, get your own horde together and go find them and take them out.  I'm sorry, I just don't see the problem, and in my opinion the game is better today than it was four years ago.

Some tend to think you can organize a country in this game to be a well oiled machine with total cooperation and specific strategies like it is some real country or military force.  I hate to break it to you, there are some real mental midgets that play this game and their sole purpose it to piss others off no matter what the cost.  In a game that identities are basically unknown and can be changed with the click of a mouse, there are no repercussion for bad play.  All that needs to be done is change your ID, and now you have a fresh new start.

I like most players get frustrated at times, but five minutes later I can not tell you who last killed me, or who I killed.  When I see a field is totally capped, I either up at another field or find another base to go fight.  If they take the field, or well, I guess we will just have to take it back later.  I assure you of one thing, if any country win the war, I have yet to loose any sleep over it.  You know why?  Another war starts right a way.

Well there I go voicing my opinion again.

Fred  
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
So now we're going to run Hitech's business. I don't think so.

Hah, we ARE Hitech's business. Like it or not. And the realities of the business world do not change, like it or not. Or should I say, believe it or not  :P
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
Hah, we ARE Hitech's business. Like it or not. And the realities of the business world do not change, like it or not. Or should I say, believe it or not  :P

Hmm and I always thought you were customers. I'm going to have to go look at that dictionary again.

HiTech

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »
Hmm and I always thought you were customers. I'm going to have to go look at that dictionary again.

HiTech

This is always the problem with giving people an opinion some people just don't know where the line is. You should be working on the game and your spelling rather than having to waste your time changing people's emo nappys or defend yourself on a forum   :lol  :banana:

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2011, 10:48:11 AM »
 The hording will always happen for ever and always. Fugitive I think if more peeps "in country" responded to the horde attack I think you would have less issues with it, but the "potential pool" of "in country" responders is busy with there own "GREEN" horde somewhere on the map.
 I have come to the conclusion that HORDE is the norm and so I have embraced the "ANTI HORDE" mentality, not only in "who and where" I fight but "how and why" I fight. With that said I think altering a few motivating factors that attract pontential "hordees" to horde fests could be of bennefit to all.
 There are a couple mentalities that permiate a horde.

#1- Those that are in it for the "base capture"  :salute to them

#2- Those that are "opportunistic" like the hyena and see the horde as a safe place to rack up kills then land, these types are much easier to spot when a CV is involved. They are the ones who up from a land base and come to the "friendly" CV fight with alt. I call these folks the "Tap-out trolls" they show up cause they have a cv near by to quickly "tap-out" at when things start to warm up, always staying "clean and safe"

#3- very few of the horde goers will ever pass up the "safe and clean" act of vulching.

There are several folks who will give a great account of themselves fighting the "good fight" against all odds at the last minute to defend a base. All but maybe 4 or 5 in the entire community will be "ground down" and concede defeat and give up once the vulching starts, when this happens the "fun light" is turned off for  A L L  ! No more vulchie vulchie, No more cherry cherry and No more fighting against insurmountable odds, No more NOTHING but wash, rinse and repeat.
 Again I will say "allow me and my ilk to get airborne" and we will continue to launch in the face of the menacing horde. We will be fulfilled as martyrs to our chess piece and the horde will have many more scalps, deserving of the finest "WTG"s in the game!  :aok

How do you alter a motivating factor to encourage me and my ilk to continue the "good fight" you may ask, well;

Make any kills of planes on the tarmac "null and void"

Extend radar out to another 1/3rd in distance!

Seems simple enough  :banana:

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:54:05 AM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »
This is always the problem with giving people an opinion some people just don't know where the line is. You should be working on the game and your spelling rather than having to waste your time changing people's emo nappys or defend yourself on a forum   :lol  :banana:

I just have to say that after the other thread, where HiTech said that he won't look at another man's cards in poker while said man is getting a bear...  Your post made me laugh out loud.  Hahaha
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »
The hording will always happen for ever and always. Luche I think if more peeps "in country" responded to the horde attack I think you would have less issues with it, but the "potential pool" of "in country" responders is busy with there own "GREEN" horde somewhere on the map.
 I have come to the conclusion that HORDE is the norm and so I have embraced the "ANTI HORDE" mentality, not only in "who and where" I fight but "how and why" I fight. With that said I think altering a few motivating factors that attract pontential "hordees" to horde fests could be of bennefit to all.
 There are a couple mentalities that permiate a horde.

#1- Those that are in it for the "base capture"  :salute to them

#2- Those that are "opportunistic" like the hyena and see the horde as a safe place to rack up kills then land, these types are much easier to spot when a CV is involved. They are the ones who up from a land base and come to the "friendly" CV fight with alt. I call these folks the "Tap-out trolls" they show up cause they have a cv near by to quickly "tap-out" at when things start to warm up, always staying "clean and safe"

#3- very few of the horde goers will ever pass up the "safe and clean" act of vulching.

There are several folks who will give a great account of themselves fighting the "good fight" against all odds at the last minute to defend a base. All but maybe 4 or 5 in the entire community will be "ground down" and concede defeat and give up once the vulching starts, when this happens the "fun light" is turned off for  A L L  ! No more vulchie vulchie, No more cherry cherry and No more fighting against insurmountable odds, No more NOTHING but wash, rinse and repeat.
 Again I will say "allow me and my ilk to get airborne" and we will continue to launch in the face of the menacing horde. We will be fulfilled as martyrs to our chess piece and the horde will have many more scalps, deserving of the finest "WTG"s in the game!  :aok

How do you alter a motivating factor to encourage me and my ilk to continue the "good fight" you may ask, well;

Make any kills of planes on the tarmac "null and void"

Extend radar out to another 1/3rd in distance!

Seems simple enough  :banana:

JUGgler

You are a hard headed one aren't you Juggler?  No disrespect but you will never change a time honored sport of kings like vulching.  You know the options, yet would rather have the game changed to fit your preferences.  :bhead If this ever happens, which I sincerely doubt, then let me know where to submit my list of personal gameplay preferences for Hitech to incorporate in the game.  Mind you, I am not a heavy vulcher and score matters little to me, but I'll bag the idiot/noob that continues to up at a capped field again and again.  Why?  Because it is just fun to see them burn or blow up! -1 to the whole idea.
 :salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »

This could result in the addition of spotter planes as well, both for directing fire, and for countering enemy spotters (ie, the spotter plane could see infantry spotters at a better distance than a fighter/bomber.)

The naval aspect is also open to huge potential development and could/would attract a lot of "naval" types.

But.... it's HTCs call where they want spend development dollars.

And I'll say - and have said before, you can't really have "realistic" ground war without both infantry and indirect fire weapons. As is, we have tank battles - neither of the two elements I've mentioned figure in (with minor exception for naval and shore guns). Tank vs. tank can be fun but it doesn't really get it for me.

Infantry is a tough one to figure but IF weapons could be operated with the use of a spotter. They'd require a two-man team, thus and generally, but imagine the payoff. Consider the case where you and an easy-to-conceal spotter (base flash but tiny icon?) use a mobile 155mm to lay down a nice carpet of jagged steel on an enemy air base. God, that'd be as bad as a horde, practically. Doubtless it'd motivate a retaliatory search-and-destroy, both for the spotter and the offending piece of SPA. Consider, also, the viability of IF for layered base defense. Clearly, as another poster points out, this'd exacerbate the already annoying spawn camping issue - but spawn "randomness within a range" is something already well needed. 
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
You are a hard headed one aren't you Juggler?  No disrespect but you will never change a time honored sport of kings like vulching.  You know the options, yet would rather have the game changed to fit your preferences.  :bhead If this ever happens, which I sincerely doubt, then let me know where to submit my list of personal gameplay preferences for Hitech to incorporate in the game.  Mind you, I am not a heavy vulcher and score matters little to me, but I'll bag the idiot/noob that continues to up at a capped field again and again.  Why?  Because it is just fun to see them burn or blow up! -1 to the whole idea.

Way

Well if you run out of idiot/noobs then you are just the "silly one" buzzing about a field with nothing to do <-- this to me smacks more of idiot/noobishness and a waste of time but that is just me. If it were changed you could always scoop up my JUG at the end of the runway while I'm about 87 mph I mean honestly what is the difference to you, the vulcher?

A cherryfest is not much different than a vulch session asside from 1 very important factor. There will be more folks willing to up if there is no vulch!

BTW with my idea you could still vulch ( the sport of kings) as you put it, just a min, time for a laugh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha ok I'm back, I would still be destroyed and sent to the tower, the only affect of my idea would be you wouldn't get credit for the kill that is all! Yes this simple idea would motivate many like myself to continue to up  IMHO

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:23:51 AM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
Well if you run out of idiots then you are just the "silly one" buzzing about a field with nothing to do <-- this to me smacks more of idiot and a waste of time but that is just me. If it were changed you could always scoop up my JUG at the end of the runway while I'm about 87 mph I mean honestly what is the difference?

A cherryfest is not much different than a vulch session asside from 1 very important factor. There will be more folks willing to up if there is no vulch!

JUGgler

I was not calling you an idiot Juggler perhaps stubborn, but not an idiot.  If I find myself buzzing about the field with only the occassional upper to share with multiple friendlies, you can bet I am out of there and I'll be back with eggs to finish that field off.  So there is plenty to do at all times.  Hanging there with 15 other guys to share kills is boring. 

On your side as far as getting at the bad guys, just saying that the ability to get to them is there if you use it.  We do not need to change the game, only ourselves...

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
I was not calling you an idiot Juggler perhaps stubborn, but not an idiot.  If I find myself buzzing about the field with only the occassional upper to share with multiple friendlies, you can bet I am out of there and I'll be back with eggs to finish that field off.  So there is plenty to do at all times.  Hanging there with 15 other guys to share kills is boring.  

On your side as far as getting at the bad guys, just saying that the ability to get to them is there if you use it.  We do not need to change the game, only ourselves...

Not so sure this is realistic these days, as many have said the "art" of rolling bases has become very efficient indeed, it is very too late to up from a nearby base and be in good time even hauling prettythang on the deck, forgoing any alt is not sufficient!

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:29:01 AM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »

Not so sure this is realistic these days, as many have said the "art" of rolling bases has become very efficient indeed, it is very too late to up from a nearby base and be in good time even hauling prettythang on the deck, forgoing any alt is not sufficient!

JUGgler

Let me ask you this...  Do you personally care whether any given base is taken?