Author Topic: dear aces high  (Read 17604 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: dear aces high
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2011, 06:09:05 PM »
Please stop putting words in my mouth.

I said if a COUNTRY wishes to hide a CV not 1 individual.

Also if anyone here really can not see that it is unacceptable to look at someones cards while playing a game, then they should be sent back to kindergarten.

HiTech

Not trying to twist your words, I despise such things myself.  Oversimplified this is a tomatoe/tomata issue in the game, everyone has a different way of seeing this as a problem, but we're all seeing it as a problem.

You highlighted maybe the keystone of the issue though, I have more often seen a CV do what an individual (or small group of individuals)desires and not do something that most of the country (who controls the CV) would want it to do.  This would include the countrymen/women who are logged off the servers and not playing at a given time but who may end up wanting to play in an hour or two, enough time for a CV to be hidden or brought the bear against a forward base.

I admitted previously that the unbiased opinion will be hard to find here.  As much as we wish for a CV to be controlled by a country, they're not.  We all wish the CVs would do what we want them to do.  More often than not they are set to sail on a coarse decided and implimented by an individual without any consulting or notification to their other fellow countrymen/women.  We also wish for individuals to be able to have this authority though in the event they're the only one to notice an incoming bomber and turn the CV in time to avoid any damage.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

.....Sooooooo......is HTC devising a method whereby a certain number of a country's online players may somehow override the choice of the highest-ranked online player?  Because as it stands one individual has the power to hide the CV, regardless of what the rest of the country's players want...yes?

- oldman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
wasnt a country was a couple of players. Just sayin.

But I believe HT's point is that everyone else on that country let them get away with it.  I realize very few people can spend 24x7 online, but surely there are those around at times when someone starts a CV on its course across the map who could take control away and send it where people can use it.

Thus, it's the whole country and not just the one or two tools that are responsible for hiding a CV.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »

.....Sooooooo......is HTC devising a method whereby a certain number of a country's online players may somehow override the choice of the highest-ranked online player?  Because as it stands one individual has the power to hide the CV, regardless of what the rest of the country's players want...yes?

- oldman

Which is the point of what players like DMG, myself and others realize.   This IS NOT a "country/chess piece" issue.   This is a minority of players (on all three countries) dictating how the majority of the country will "deal with it". 

Dale, this is the crux of the issue.    IDGAF about the "Angels Rejects" trying to skirt the issue bringing in "squad issues" to deflect proper points.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
But I believe HT's point is that everyone else on that country let them get away with it.  I realize very few people can spend 24x7 online, but surely there are those around at times when someone starts a CV on its course across the map who could take control away and send it where people can use it.

Thus, it's the whole country and not just the one or two tools that are responsible for hiding a CV.

Have you ever seen the pursefights insue when you try to take command of the CV to bring it in to action? Point being, these guys hiding them are lame.

Im in total disagreement with the whole issue of getting muted. But thats just me. I could care less about where you are bringing CVs as long as they are put to action, but I think once its proven that its somewhere off the map, then its no holds barred and do what you need to do.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »

Have you ever seen the pursefights insue when you try to take command of the CV to bring it in to action? Point being, these guys hiding them are lame.

Im in total disagreement with the whole issue of getting muted. But thats just me. I could care less about where you are bringing CVs as long as they are put to action, but I think once its proven that its somewhere off the map, then its no holds barred and do what you need to do.

You've come full circle and I respect that Tral.    :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
I HONESTLY didn't know that switching sides and getting cv sunk was considered cheating in HTC eyes. Had I known this I wouldn't have done it. In my  5 years or so of game play here I've seen it done NUMEROUS times and to the best of my knowledge nobody has been banned from the game for doing so. So now knowing that it is considered cheating by HTC I won't be doing it again.

Now that being said, I think that HTC needs to implement someway of preventing the cv's from being hid. It seems as if a lot of players feel the same way as I do.  
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2011, 06:33:01 PM »

Also if anyone here really can not see that it is unacceptable to look at someones cards while playing a game, then they should be sent back to kindergarten.

HiTech

If we had an emperor, or a Chief of staff,  or a grand pooba in charge and LEADING each country then I would agree with you 100%.

The point I have a problem with is why should some "little" general's decision to hide a CV out weight my decision to deploy the CV and attack a base? Just because he gets out of school earlier than I get out of work and so plays more hours?

Granted calling out CV locations is lame, but so is deigning other the use of it just because you might lose a base on the base count. Odds are pretty good your going to lose more than base that day anyway.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
Seems everyone is calming down...

:noid
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »

The problem we're having is the "but surely there are" part.  Either they're all preoccupied or simply not paying attention to make sure no CVs are moved to the back rear corner of the map.  And people will notice a CV in the corner and attempt to sail it back into play only to be overwritten by a player thats more determined and occupied with ensuring the carriers stay as far out of play as possible.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
This was my solution to this a while back

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,303705.msg3900377.html#msg3900377

Seems confusing, but imagine the non stop action and keeping even ports alive that before wasnt worth attacking knowing that it doesnt have an offensive platform.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:03:20 PM by oTRALFZo »
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Online waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
And people will notice a CV in the corner and attempt to sail it back into play only to be overwritten by a player thats more determined and occupied with ensuring the carriers stay as far out of play as possible.

I tried to pull two captured carriers back from the far Knights NW corner of the LWO primetime hours arena but kept getting overrode by shear determination of someone.  I grab one and get it headed south, try to grab the other, and then the first is headed back to the north again.  I gave up after about 5-10 mins. :bhead
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline killrDan

• Copper Member
      • Rolling Thunder Website
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
I HONESTLY didn't know that switching sides and getting cv sunk was considered cheating in HTC eyes. Had I known this I wouldn't have done it. In my  5 years or so of game play here I've seen it done NUMEROUS times and to the best of my knowledge nobody has been banned from the game for doing so. So now knowing that it is considered cheating by HTC I won't be doing it again.

Now that being said, I think that HTC needs to implement someway of preventing the cv's from being hid. It seems as if a lot of players feel the same way as I do.  
+1

Out of all these posts the only one that makes good sense is Sails suggestion that the CV go over to the side that owns its corresponding port after a predetermined time period.  We've all seen CV's tucked away in some obscure corner of the map for literally days at a time.  Some armchair general with rank stays logged in even though he's not playing and hides the CV. Sometimes it's more than one person that does it.  This is not to be confused with taking the CV out of harms way while the port is being taken.  It's not conducive to good game play because the side holding the port can't take the CV and the side holding the CV can't use it.  On the other hand, Hitech makes a valid point that you're not supposed to look at the other players 'cards'.  We all should abide by this principle of fair play.

Snails suggestion that the CV goes to the side holding the port is a very workable solution from a gaming perspective.  I personally think 45 minutes is not long enough.  I would rather see the time at 2 hours minimum.  Remember, what we are trying to avoid is allowing the CV to be tucked away at the far end of the map without either side being able to use it.  This addresses the problem of hiding the CV and the issue of whether we can ethically 'peek' at the other sides cards.

<S>

Dan
THUNDER MOB - CO
Battle Over the Winter Line - II.SG4 GL

Offline RobMo68

• Nickel Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »

NOW you get it!

I'm not a fan of hiding CV's btw, it's just how you went about getting it back, that was wrong!
Speed68a
Special Forces Wing: POTW nUb:"Get outta my mud, biotch"

+~WARPIGS RACING~+
ERL S3R9 Winner

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »

Commendable then, as I know you and I have had this discussion before.  Not the first time we've had to take a boat away from you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Ports are far too easy to take in the first place.  6 months ago upon the release of new fields, there were 2 VH's initially at a port.  Then one was removed. On many maps there is no GV spawn into a port and the nearest airfield is too far away.  Ports are far too easy to take in the first place especially given their importance.

Unfortunately, knowing what I know of terrain design, it would likely be a lot of work to go back through them to remedy this.  But I do believe that should be the first step.

I made the argument internally with the squad today that taking ord and troops out removes an opponents "offensive" capability.  This is also true for capturing and then running off an opponents CV.  This is the ONLY reason it is done.  Being able to actually use that boat is not a consideration.  At least, until such time as the fields around the captured boat and Port are secured.  As long as you don't own the Port, or only own the Port ... using that boat is not an option.  It must be tucked away out of harms way.

Now, ords will in time reappear at a stricken field.  Not so a hidden CV from a recaptured Port.  The MAIN problem here is some that specifically go after an opponents Port and CV SOLELY to get that boat from them and out of there.  Again, the Port is not the prize.  In that situation we could care less about your Port.  It's the removal of your offensive capability.  I suspect THIS is where most of the whining comes from. 

So, certainly a timer might be of use but it would have to be much more than 45 minutes due to the nature of the prize.  4-5 hours minumum sounds more like it.  This gives the attacking force time to secure the Port and more importantly, immediately surrounding fields.  If you can't do it in that time, fine, revert the CV back to the Port owner.

I've watched many, many, many of these threads over time.  In the past 6 months, how many changes have been made to accommodate the masses in regards to towns and base captures?  And what has HTC done in the past few years in regards to this perceived CV issue?  That's what I thought.   ;)

Ultimately, I guess the ball is in his court to decide whether it is an issue or not, but so far, it doesn't appear to be ...