Author Topic: Captured aircraft  (Read 1262 times)

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
Captured aircraft
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
How exactly does this happen? Ive always wondered.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Captured aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
In our game or real life?

Think of some Luftwaffe stick over the British isles, shot to crap or losing oil pressure.  He's going to try and find a place to land instead of floating in a latewar parachute for 4 minutes allowing the enemy to zero his position.  So......  He lands and for whatever reason is unable to demo his bird.  Probably read this story a dozen times.

Just one off the top of my head.   :salute
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:47:22 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »
In our game or real life?

Think of some Luftwaffe stick over the British isles, shot to crap or loosing oil pressure.  He's going to try and find a place to land instead of floating in a latewar parachute for 4 minutes allowing the enemy to zero his position.  So......  He lands and for whatever reason is unable to demo his bird.  Probably read this story a dozen times.

Just one off the top of my head.   :salute

Ok cool, has it ever happened that a land raid took a base with planes on it?

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
Absolutely, but far less often than you might think.  SOP on all sides was basically blow up anything you can't take with you.  So large airfields always had days if not weeks to reroute it's resources.  But the smaller, makeshift airstrips, and especially for the Germans late in the war with low morale, it was not uncommon say for a Brit Commando, US Ranger or other outfit specially trained in raiding fortified positions to walk unto a location with slight light fire, maybe some small artillery only to come and find out they were battling the 23 men who chose not to desert their position.  Make off with a couple of 190s in the process, or at least parts from 12 of them. 
See Rule #4

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:32 PM »
Were tanks or planes a higher priority?

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
Who do you ask that question....  Patton or Arnold?  Keitel or Göring?  I'd destroy the birds first personally.

I've come to believe that with something like that, regardless of what the overall command might be, individual field commanders make those decisions based purely on their own beliefs.  Which, truthfully should always be within the leaders authority.   :salute
See Rule #4

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »
So it only depends on what the general thinks has the biggest threat on the war is.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
History is riddled with many backseat commanders gaining fame simply because their adversary's frontline commander was too self centered to follow orders.   :salute

Now to what extent it's applicable to your 2nd question....  Probably a nice amount. 
See Rule #4

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »
Absolutely, but far less often than you might think.  SOP on all sides was basically blow up anything you can't take with you.  So large airfields always had days if not weeks to reroute it's resources.  But the smaller, makeshift airstrips, and especially for the Germans late in the war with low morale, it was not uncommon say for a Brit Commando, US Ranger or other outfit specially trained in raiding fortified positions to walk unto a location with slight light fire, maybe some small artillery only to come and find out they were battling the 23 men who chose not to desert their position.  Make off with a couple of 190s in the process, or at least parts from 12 of them. 

I hope you're not serious because someone seems to believe this.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:12:42 PM »
I hope you're not serious because someone seems to believe this.

wrongway

Didn't quite get that one either. 

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
Nor I.... :headscratch:   What do you mean wrongway?  Not up until vary late war were we "confiscating" mass amounts of German equipment. 

Didn't quite get that one either. 

See Rule #4

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
Nor I.... :headscratch:   What do you mean wrongway?  Not up until vary late war were we "confiscating" mass amounts of German equipment. 

What you were implying, I thought, was commando raids were carried out, behind enemy lines, during active war time, to capture and fly/drive out enemy equipment.

it was not uncommon say for a Brit Commando, US Ranger or other outfit specially trained in raiding fortified positions to walk unto a location

It just didn't happen.

"Captured" equipment was generally aircraft that crashed and were reassembled. Hundreds of Allied aircraft were shot down and ditched or crashed over German occupied territory, sometimes nearly intact.

The first Japanese Zero to be studied by the U.S. crashed virtually intact on Akutan Island in the Aleutians of Alaska in July, 1942.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akutan_Zero

While searching for the above, I came across an incident of a Zero capture due to crash landing in China in 1941 as well.
http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/WarPrizes.htm

The first Fw190 to fall into Allied hands was a case of pilot error in June 1942 when a lost pilot landed at a British field.

In June 1942, following a dogfight over the Bristol Channel, a lost Luftwaffe pilot landed his Focke-Wulf Fw-190 at RAF Pembrey, he was promptly "captured" by the air traffic controller with the only weapon at hand - a very pistol.

As the war wound down, yes, special units wandered Germany collecting equipment and weapons. They weren't commandos nor did they operate behind enemy lines. They were technicians.

In any case, captured equipment was rarely, if ever used in combat. It was used to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy. Only desperation would call for using enemy equipment as the risk of getting killed by being mistaken for the enemy was too much of a risk. No red icons.

The F6F Hellcat's design was influenced by flying the captured Zero and the F8F Bearcat was influenced by the captured Fw190.

In game we have a skin for a French Ju88. They were not captured to the unit but issued to them when Vichy France was allied with Germany. When France was liberated, the former Vichy units began flying for the Allies with the same equipment.

Italians flew P-39Qs after they surrendered and began flying against Nazi Germany.

There are the rare, anecdotal stories of captured aircraft being used, the Italian "Phantom" P-38 story, strange B-17s shadowing bomber streams over Germany, ect.

Germany's KG200 flew captured Allied aircraft to evaluate them and familiarize pilots with their adversaries up close.

Otherwise, B-17s and B-24s were not used by Germany to bomb anything. P-51s, Spitfires, or 109s were not used against their former owners in combat. There were no squadrons of captured aircraft in combat.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
IIRC, the Japanese Army put the P-40 into service in squadron strength based on captured airframes from the Philippines.

Germans, Russians and Finns all used captured enemy tanks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »
My grandfathers unit, the 812th IAP, captured hartmanns plane, he was not flying it, it was being ferried by a different pilot, but they pretty much found him flying around lost, put a burst into his tail, flew up beside him and used hand signals to tell him to follow them and land, after he didn't comply they put another short burst into his tail and he followed them.
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
IIRC, the Japanese Army put the P-40 into service in squadron strength based on captured airframes from the Philippines.

Germans, Russians and Finns all used captured enemy tanks.

I was looking for a picture of a captured P-40 in Japanese markings when I came across this site.  Very Interesting.
http://www.j-aircraft.com/captured/capturedby/p40warhawk/captured_p40.htm

This was what I was actually searching for  :D

Another interesting picture, not sure of it's accuracy though

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:36:25 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars