Author Topic: Vista: Performance Hints and Tips  (Read 47238 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Vista: Performance Hints and Tips
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2008, 06:37:24 AM »
The worst offenders is the Aero desktop, ReadyBoost and SuperFetch.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline dashed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
Just as a quick note, I have just setup my computer to run a dual Vista boot, one for general use with all the virus protections and Vista niceties, the other for CAD/CAM programs and AH.  The one for clean one has only essentials, no virus or other protections, with IE set for maximum security.

Seems to work well, but unless you are comfortable with the tech stuff and disciplined in running scans manually, I wouldn't suggest it.

Dasher

Offline zarkov

• Copper Member
      • http://N/A
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2008, 09:12:27 AM »
I tried Scuzzy's suggestions and managed to get a somewhat decent performance with just a half-assed attempt to cut down on the number of services running.

The default, out-of-the-box number of services was a horrid 65!  I cut it down to somewhere in the mid-40's and things ran alright.  If I try to get it down to the 30's, it should be okay, I should think.

I'm just annoyed that this is necessary.  Win98 worked just fine with the minimum of fiddling.  And now, with a more "sophisticated" operating system, I suddenly have to lift up the hood and get my hands dirty?  It seems to be counter to the whole philosophy of why sophisticated operating systems exist.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
I tried Scuzzy's suggestions and managed to get a somewhat decent performance with just a half-assed attempt to cut down on the number of services running.

The default, out-of-the-box number of services was a horrid 65!  I cut it down to somewhere in the mid-40's and things ran alright.  If I try to get it down to the 30's, it should be okay, I should think.

I'm just annoyed that this is necessary.  Win98 worked just fine with the minimum of fiddling.  And now, with a more "sophisticated" operating system, I suddenly have to lift up the hood and get my hands dirty?  It seems to be counter to the whole philosophy of why sophisticated operating systems exist.

Exactly.....

could be why M$ is coming out with windows 7 soon  :rolleyes:

Offline zarkov

• Copper Member
      • http://N/A
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »
What is Aero Desktop...it doesn't seem to be on my list of services.

Offline amariani

• Zinc Member
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
Simple question: what processes and/or services does ah2 need to work properly?

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
Skuzzy, why would you want to set HID to manual or (worse yet) disable it? Isn't that what provides the tool for windows to use the CH programming software in addition to macro keyboards?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
I use System Suite 8 as my virus/firewall program. It has an option under Optimize called stat-up commander. It will tell you everything which is necessary w/ a check mark, optional with a little man figure, risky w/ a Dice, unwanted & known problems with a red exclamation point, unknown w/ a question mark. I disabled all dice after reading what they were and feeling sure they aren't applicable, the options, which did not seem to apply, were disabled as well. Exclamations were automatically disabled by SS-8 when I set it for gaming. AH runs better now, mostly, except one total lock-up & dark screen once, but my windows mail and windows tool bar are different in appearance now. Is this a clue that I changed something I should not have?   :headscratch:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline BippeeII

• Zinc Member
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2010, 12:36:41 AM »
An oldy but a goody.  Recently ran into some glitches.  Maybe a recent download.  With Vista, who knows.  But reread & carefully followed Skuzzy's advice and performance enhanced.

Thanks for he hard work Skuzzy :)

Offline ACB

• Zinc Member
blah
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
blah
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:43:25 AM by ACB »

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2010, 03:11:46 AM »
Or replace Vista with windows 7...LOVE IT absolutely no issues.  :aok  :banana:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
Do we have a similar thread for Win 7?

I've got some things coming in, will be setting up Win 7 64 bit OS, and wanted to know what I need to look out for.

Does Win 7 still have the UAC for example? What else carries over from Vista, which I avoided entirely?

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2011, 12:54:36 AM »
Do we have a similar thread for Win 7?

I've got some things coming in, will be setting up Win 7 64 bit OS, and wanted to know what I need to look out for.

Does Win 7 still have the UAC for example? What else carries over from Vista, which I avoided entirely?

WIN7 X64Bit is awesome!! downloading the free window security option, & ping plotter is all I have now. Frame rates always above 75 and often 98 or better. Win7x64 likes video games, and has settings to conserve resources for gaming. I set up the video without anti-aliasing and almost never get that split screen thing(2 frames overlapping) & when I do it's usually something very fast like a prop, or at the start of the game when the CPU is working the hardest. I have no complaints about win7x64.
WildWzl